San Diego needs a SS...

JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
So, trade them Lillibridge when Brian Anderson is activated? It could be for a PTBNL.

Lillibridge's value is at its low point. I'd rather send him to AAA and see if they can re-tool his swing. You aren't getting anything of value for him right now anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Lillibridge's value is at its low point. I'd rather send him to AAA and see if they can re-tool his swing. You aren't getting anything of value for him right now anyway.

There is an open roster spot as of right now in Charlotte, but I think David Cook will be promoted when Gordon Beckham is activated from the DL in the next day or so.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
There is an open roster spot as of right now in Charlotte, but I think David Cook will be promoted when Gordon Beckham is activated from the DL in the next day or so.

They can demote Lillibridge and promote Cook, and then release some piece of flak they have in Charlotte. Guys like Myrow and Dawkins serve no real purpose down there anyway.

Trading Brent Lillibridge is silly. Send him down to AAA and tell him to cut the length of his swing in half or he'll never sniff the big leagues again.

If you want to talk about trading a SS, give some time, we may have to consider it. We're holding Alexei, Nix, Getz, and Beckham, and by the beginning of next year, Beckham is going to be in the big leagues at the rate he's going. Some of those guys are going to have to move, and you can't send them all to the OF. Esp. if Anderson keeps hitting. Hopefully Nix and Getz keep hitting, Alexei finds his stroke, and this becomes a wonderful problem to have; being way too strong up the middle.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
They can demote Lillibridge and promote Cook, and then release some piece of flak they have in Charlotte. Guys like Myrow and Dawkins serve no real purpose down there anyway.

Maybe Myrow, but Dawkins has been useful as a utility player. Myrow only DH's and plays 1B.

I still think if someone can finally get through to Lillibridge, he could be a decent bench player. He's got great speed, and while he's no stud defensively, he can play 2B, SS, CF, and LF in a pinch. Nothing special, but I think he could be a handy addition to any ball club, if someone can teach him how to use his tools effectively and hit.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 14, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
I still think if someone can finally get through to Lillibridge, he could be a decent bench player. He's got great speed, and while he's no stud defensively, he can play 2B, SS, CF, and LF in a pinch. Nothing special, but I think he could be a handy addition to any ball club, if someone can teach him how to use his tools effectively and hit.

If he can do something with the bat or just utilize his speed with bunts and some slap hits, he would be an ideal bench player in the NL.

Why in the hell would San Diego want a guy who can't hit better than Carlos Zambrano, Gary Peters, Bob Gibson.

Why would they want a guy who is one of the worst hitters in baseball, maybe THE worst until he fixes his horrible approach/swing?

QUOTE (shipps @ May 14, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
^^^^^^^^^

Yeah they need some major league baseball players on that roster.

Shhhh...people on this board might actually get the feeling that there's another team out there that's...*gasp*...in worse shape than the White Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
They would much rather have Nix, who any team in baseball could have claimed last year.

Nix is as good defensively as Lillibridge and has the 2nd best RH swing on the team right now.

I like what I've seen from Nix so far, but he has little experience at SS or in the OF, so I am not sure you can make the claim he is as good defensively as Lillibridge. At 2B I'm sure he is. Otherwise, maybe not, though the jury is still out. Right now, in terms of defensive value, Lillibridge trumps Nix.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
I like what I've seen from Nix so far, but he has little experience at SS or in the OF, so I am not sure you can make the claim he is as good defensively as Lillibridge. At 2B I'm sure he is. Otherwise, maybe not, though the jury is still out. Right now, in terms of defensive value, Lillibridge trumps Nix.

Thanks, I was just going to post that.

And BTW I still can't understand the Lillbridge hate around here. Yes, he's been overwhelmingly underwhelming this season, but he's a f***ing bench player. He's there to play defense and pinch run and he's making the league minimum plus has minor league options left. With Nix so far not looking bad at all as a UT player Lilli can go down and work on his swing and everyone can lay off.

Seriously, this is like the Andy Gonzalez crap and Andy's 3 error game was far worse than anything Lillibridge has done. And still, Andy Gonzalez was never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever even anything CLOSE to a reason why we sucked so f***ing bad in 2007, just like Brent Lillibridge is nowhere near anything close to a reason we suck now. When your bench players are forced into everyday spots because you have nothing on the farm to fill those spots, and when 3/5 of your starting rotation sucks dick, then you don't sit around and blame it on a bench player not hitting the baseball. And watch, Lillibridge will get sent down and then suddenly everyone will start b****ing about Corky f***ing Miller. Just like the virulent anti-Chris Widger campaign that ended up bringing us the great Sandy Alomar Jr. for the 39th time.

es, he's been overwhelmingly underwhelming this season, but he's a f***ing bench player. He's there to play defense and pinch run and he's making the league minimum plus has minor league options left. With Nix so far not looking bad at all as a UT player Lilli can go down and work on his swing and everyone can lay off.

Seriously, this is like the Andy Gonzalez crap and Andy's 3 error game was far worse than anything Lillibridge has done. And still, Andy Gonzalez was never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever even anything CLOSE to a reason why we sucked so f***ing bad in 2007, just like Brent Lillibridge is nowhere near anything close to a reason we suck now. When your bench players are forced into everyday spots because you have nothing on the farm to fill those spots, and when 3/5 of your starting rotation sucks dick, then you don't sit around and blame it on a bench player not hitting the baseball. And watch, Lillibridge will get sent down and then suddenly everyone will start b****ing about Corky f***ing Miller. Just like the virulent anti-Chris Widger campaign that ended up bringing us the great Sandy Alomar Jr. for the 39th time.

Lot of stuff in your post. Lilly has not been a f***ing bench player as you put it. He's been playing a lot of baseball and making a ton of outs. He's hit worse than most pitchers would given as many at bats.

We could direct our anger at Oz for playing him or KW, but at some point you get sick of seeing Lilly out there since he is the one with the bat in his hands. Forgive me for not wanting to watch him ever bat again.

Yes there will be b****ing about our other players who should not be on a ML roster.

You've got to admit we have some very bad fringe baseball players on this team. Right now I'd settle for Lexi and Fields start to prove they are studs, not duds. And Quentin start being Quentin. We've received a break. We could be a ton of games out if we were in the Jays' division. It's time to start playing baseball and not get shut out on a fairly regular basis.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
Lot of stuff in your post. Lilly has not been a f***ing bench player as you put it. He's been playing a lot of baseball and making a ton of outs. He's hit worse than most pitchers would given as many at bats.

We could direct our anger at Oz for playing him or KW, but at some point you get sick of seeing Lilly out there since he is the one with the bat in his hands. Forgive me for not wanting to watch him ever bat again.

Yes there will be b****ing about our other players who should not be on a ML roster.

You've got to admit we have some very bad fringe baseball players on this team. Right now I'd settle for Lexi and Fields start to prove they are studs, not duds. And Quentin start being Quentin. We've received a break. We could be a ton of games out if we were in the Jays' division. It's time to start playing baseball and not get shut out on a fairly regular basis.

I'm not saying we should all ignore the results and say he's a wonderful player, but it seems that he is being used as an excuse a bit too much. Look, everyone knew that he probably wasn't going to come in and perform all that well in the Majors if he had to play every single day or close to that.

Lilli is a bench player. He can play plus defense at short, plus he can play 2B, CF, even 3B or RF I'm sure if he had to in a pinch. He can pinch run. Those qualities are very important on a (key word here) GOOD baseball team, which is something that at this point we are certainly not. And Lilli is making the league minimum, so he's not a guy we can look at and say we're spending $1M+ more on than what we should be spending for that kind of player.

If you put Lillibridge in the lineup on a regular basis then you've just got a bench player in the field. You don't have a bad starter, you have a bench player in a spot where he shouldn't be. Pablo Ozuna and Rob Mackiowiack as examples were good bench players who were s*** on as bad players when they were taken out of their roles. And both players, yes, hit a lot better than Brent, but those guys didn't bring the defense, the speed (in Rob's case) and the versatility of Brent. You take DJ Carrasco, and he's been very nice as a garbage man. Put him in the back of the pen or in the rotation and he's going to suck, but you don't take that out on him. You look at the organization as a whole and say, "Why don't we have anyone better than this on the farm? Why haven't we made a trade? Why haven't we signed anyone?" and so on. Brent Lillibridge can do some things as long as he's used appropriately.

I agree that we've got a lot of bench players on this team in starting roles. Pods shouldn't be out there everyday either. But you have to wonder about what it is some Sox fans are asking for when it comes to guys who can actually come off the bench, step in as starters, and be productive. Those guys are expensive for the most part (either talent-wise through trade or monetarily) and most of them are starters or platoon players anyway. And why even pay the price, because in a perfect world, your team is doing so well that you don't need those guys to step in and play well as starters. So when you build a bench, IMO what you should do is build as cheaply as possible with a player for each role and whatever extra you have budgeted you should spend in other areas, in our case most notably the farm system. If you get into a situation where you're relying on bench guys to be more than they are capable of being, then it really doesn't matter at that point because you're already screwed in a pretty big way.

I'm 100% with you on Fields and Alexei. They need to step it up. Even if we lose 85+ games this year, those guys still need to step up and let us know they're for real so that way we can get on with shaping the team for 2010 and beyond. Personally I believe in both of them, but it's time they got something going.