Matt Holliday...

JPN366

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 14, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
Hudson will likely cash in and we don't need a 2B, Damon will likely also cash in again and he's a Boras client.

Figgins makes the most sense. He's someone who's been on KW's radar for a while now and likely would not be too expensive to sign. He could play either 3B, LF, or CF for us.

Why do people keep assuming the market next offseason will be better than this one and not worse? Baseball was hardly touched by the economic collapse last year because it happened quite a ways after most of the tickets had been sold, esp. season tickets. This is going to be the year where it starts hurting teams.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
Hudson will likely cash in and we don't need a 2B, Damon will likely also cash in again and he's a Boras client.

Figgins makes the most sense. He's someone who's been on KW's radar for a while now and likely would not be too expensive to sign. He could play either 3B, LF, or CF for us.

funny how ppl still like figgins. look at his numbers from last year and so far this year lol i guess its better than what we have but everyone really overrates him

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Why do people keep assuming the market next offseason will be better than this one and not worse? Baseball was hardly touched by the economic collapse last year because it happened quite a ways after most of the tickets had been sold, esp. season tickets. This is going to be the year where it starts hurting teams.

Did I ever say the market will be better? No, for all I know it will be worse. However, that doesn't mean that players who are having great years like Hudson and Damon aren't still gonna get more from other teams than they will from us. I really don't see how the market will effect anything but the salary numbers. Teams that are willing to spend will still spend. And we've never been a team to spend a lot.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
funny how ppl still like figgins. look at his numbers from last year and so far this year lol i guess its better than what we have but everyone really overrates him

You must be looking at the wrong numbers, cause he's still a solid leadoff hitter.

Lifetime .288 hitter with a lifetime .355 OBP. Over the past two years, he's averaged an OBP over .365, averages around 40 stolen bases a year, and can play decent D at 3B, 2B, LF, and CF. Oh, and he can actually bunt, and he's a switch hitter.

He's no world beater, but a very solid option at leadoff hitter. Something we've been missing since 05.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit critical of Holliday in the past because I never got the chance to see him much, and his numbers screamed of him being a product of Coors (and there's no doubt he benefited from playing half of his games there), but after watching him and studying him these past two games, I'm becoming a big fan.

He's got a really nice looking swing and I really like his approach at bat. Plus, he's got speed for a big man, and his D has really been improving as he's been playing a damn solid LF this year.

I love JD and would hate to see him go, but I wouldn't mind seeing us let JD go, sign Holliday to a 4 or 5 year contract, bring JT back for one more year, and move Q to RF. We improve our D in the OF, get younger (Holliday will be 30, but still, that's 6 years younger than Dye), and get faster. Plus, Holliday provides more OBP than Dye.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
I've been a bit critical of Holliday in the past because I never got the chance to see him much, and his numbers screamed of him being a product of Coors (and there's no doubt he benefited from playing half of his games there), but after watching him and studying him these past two games, I'm becoming a big fan.

He's got a really nice looking swing and I really like his approach at bat. Plus, he's got speed for a big man, and his D has really been improving as he's been playing a damn solid LF this year.

I love JD and would hate to see him go, but I wouldn't mind seeing us let JD go, sign Holliday to a 4 or 5 year contract, bring JT back for one more year, and move Q to RF. We improve our D in the OF, get younger (Holliday will be 30, but still, that's 6 years younger than Dye), and get faster. Plus, Holliday provides more OBP than Dye.

his OPS+, which is ballpark adjusted, has always been good, the guy is legit. Would love him on the Sox, but he's a Boras client, so it would have to break a huge trend

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
his OPS+, which is ballpark adjusted, has always been good, the guy is legit. Would love him on the Sox, but he's a Boras client, so it would have to break a huge trend

s***, he's a Boras client? Well, there goes that idea, unless he fires Boras for some reason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Orlando Hudson is on a 1 year deal.

Chone Figgins will be out there, Johnny Damon also. Coco Crisp has an $8 million option, Freddy Sanchez has an $8 million option. Polonco will be out there, then you get down to the Xavier Nady level and you're really stretching. Probably someone out there I missed, here's a version of the list from a few months ago.

The Pirates would be silly not to take that option. . . Having Sanchez in our lineup is druel worthy! Hmmm i wonder if KW could offer Pittsburgh a deal they can't refuse THIS SEASON! No offense Chris Getz. . .

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 06:50 AM)
The Pirates would be silly not to take that option. . . Having Sanchez in our lineup is druel worthy! Hmmm i wonder if KW could offer Pittsburgh a deal they can't refuse THIS SEASON! No offense Chris Getz. . .

Sarcasm, i hope?