P90X

StrangeSox

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting week 6 this week because of my vacay in Mex last week. I may actually repeat a week since my time off set me so far back.

My opinion: If you have the space in your home (doesnt take much) and the dedication, this workout will change you for the better. Here is the deal: its VERY hard. I am a good athlete and I still have trouble with the workouts, its supposed to be that way. If you follow the workout and at least eat well, you WILL lose weight. I dont follow the diet plan to a T since I have some different ideas, but within the first 3 weeks I lost about an inch on my waist. The key is to stick to it and really give it your all. if you half ass it or quit halfway through a routine a few days a week, you wont think its effective. I recommend using the bands as buying a bunch of different weights is expensive. Also the iron gym chin up bar is very cheap on amazon. You will be doing about 120 pullups each back routine and well over 200 pushups at times.

I'll glady be part of a support group on here if people want to go through it together. I will tell you that I was very skeptical as I have been working out on my own for years just grinding away, and have seen the most immediate results with P90X. But once again, you HAVE to be dedicated and really give it your all each workout. Also its somewhat humiliating for people to see you doing this weird ass stuff in your living room, basement or whereever, but ignore them, they wont be able to do half the s*** you can do in a few weeks. You may start the yoga routine and say, wow this is stupid, but trust me, as you are pouring sweat onto the ground halfway through, you'll get it.

Buy it, and bring it!

informercial over.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 18, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Thanks for the info rock. I've heard from other people that this program really kicks your ass.

My goal isn't to lose weight (6'3" 160 lbs, I could stand to gain a few pounds on my lanky frame) but to get stronger and just in better overall shape.

It is made by Beachbody, so you WILL lose some weight by design. As for strength, it works for that as well, but it will be mostly lean muscle, not neccesarily size overall. Of course there will be a significant size increase for some of the muscles you havent really been working on before.

I want to see before and after pictures before I spend 100+ on this thing

I have always wanted to get p90x but am beyond skeptical of anything thats sold on TV through infomercials

Ditto. Heard about this program a long time ago but like you said, it's very pricey not to mention your still buying stuff for a pull up bar, muscle drinks, food, perhaps weights, etc.. Though I heard the nutrition plan is very good, but I lack the common sense in direction so... :lol:

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 19, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
Ditto. Heard about this program a long time ago but like you said, it's very pricey not to mention your still buying stuff for a pull up bar, muscle drinks, food, perhaps weights, etc.. Though I heard the nutrition plan is very good, but I lack the common sense in direction so... :lol:

Pull up bar and weights will set you back about 50 bucks total. I wouldnt waste money on drinks unless you really think you need it.

Go to beachbody.com and check the forums and people's success stories. Go on facebook and do the same. It works.

I would also be in favor of burning the series for folks for a nominal fee as long as you dont get me sued.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
I would also be in favor of burning the series for folks for a nominal fee as long as you dont get me sued.

I would be interested in that

All you need is the DVDs right and then you use your own bands and stuff correct?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 20, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
Doesn't anyone use torrents around here? I got mine for free.

I do, but for this I wanted the package consisting of the book and the nutritional guide, I also wanted the DVD's to bring around as I travel instead of streaming from my PC.

For the other folks. I ordered the bands and the chin up bar off of amazon for no more than 60 total. After that you need a yoga mat, and some space. I would recommend some lighter weights for certain exercises, but the bands will work just fine.

P90X will work as good as any other workout -- so long as you do it...consistently. For most, this is the hardest part of any workout. So yes, of course p90x works, but only for those that do it, and keep doing it.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Stocking @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Rock, how is the 90 days going? still on?

Yes, I've actually started over since I took a week off for vacation to somewhat punish myself. I am finding this time around phase 1 is much easier, but I am still seeing results. I have lost about 2 in on my waist and about 7% bodyfat.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
Can anyone recommend an effective, reasonably priced, creatine in pill form?

Creatine is garbage and a fad of the late 90's that's passed, stay away from it. That is all. :D

If you are going to use any supplements at all, do nothing more than vitamins and protein...I'm sure most here will say the same.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Creatine is garbage and a fad of the late 90's that's passed, stay away from it. That is all. :D

If you are going to use any supplements at all, do nothing more than vitamins and protein...I'm sure most here will say the same.

Creatine from my experience just made me hold a ton of water. I will say it helped a bit with recovery, but mostly I was just swollen. I've had better luck with a good lean protein shake.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Creatine from my experience just made me hold a ton of water. I will say it helped a bit with recovery, but mostly I was just swollen. I've had better luck with a good lean protein shake.

In what I call my 'workout prime' I tried both powder creatine and liquid creatine -- the powder form had what I called a water weight side effect, where my muscles would fill with water, and other than that I had no effects in recovery or otherwise that I could notice (without convincing myself), the liquid form did nothing at all.

Creatine, as far as I am concerned, was and is a gimmick supplement.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
Creatine is the only supplement that has ever given me any real results.... even more than protein.

The only results it's given you is water weight gain in your muscles, so they make you look bigger, but they add nothing unless you are a vegetarian. I say this because creatine is an abundant byproduct found in meat/fish, so if you are a meat eater, you're already maxed on your usable creatine intake -- whereas vegetarians will often have less of this byproduct available to them. For meat eaters, the only thing the extra creatine load does is fill your muscles with water.

And even then -- I think it's in people heads.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of trying this out today, Im in decent shape but from what I can tell the P90x is pretty intense and involves you to be in good shape almost already before you start it. So, I was thinking of just starting with the P90, and after 90 days switch over. I was also planning to probably just download the videos or something like that, is there anything Id be missing out if I did that as apposed to ordering them through the website?

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 06:51 AM)
I was thinking of trying this out today, Im in decent shape but from what I can tell the P90x is pretty intense and involves you to be in good shape almost already before you start it. So, I was thinking of just starting with the P90, and after 90 days switch over. I was also planning to probably just download the videos or something like that, is there anything Id be missing out if I did that as apposed to ordering them through the website?

Doing both routines is going to be a waste of money. Even people in great shape will struggle through P90x the first few times through a routine, just do your best and watch how much you improve from week to week.