P90X

StrangeSox

Just did my 1st P90X workout today. I could only make it through 29 minutes of the Plyometrics before my legs turned to jelly. Walking will be interesting tomorrow. This is an absolutely intense program. Tomorrow will be cardio and Ab Ripper X.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Just did my 1st P90X workout today. I could only make it through 29 minutes of the Plyometrics before my legs turned to jelly. Walking will be interesting tomorrow. This is an absolutely intense program. Tomorrow will be cardio and Ab Ripper X.

Not bad considering Plyo is one of the last you do if you enter the program correctly. All the workouts sort of lead up to Plyo, so you have enough endurance to finish it, as it's the hardest of them all.

For a first timer, all of these workouts are going to be almost impossible to finish. Take your time.

One of the most important things about P90X is to have a heart monitor, and pay attention to it, especially when you're just starting because it will put your heart rate into a dangerous zone...and at that point, whether you finish the exercise or not, you're doing far more harm than good.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)

Keep at it. I would recommend taking a 10 min break in the middle and then using half effort through the rest so you can finish.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
For all the PM'ers:

I am testing the copying function of the DVD's this weekend, if it all comes out as planned then we can start to figure out how I can help you all out with copies.

I posted how you can do it with ur MAC. :P

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
Not bad considering Plyo is one of the last you do if you enter the program correctly. All the workouts sort of lead up to Plyo, so you have enough endurance to finish it, as it's the hardest of them all.

For a first timer, all of these workouts are going to be almost impossible to finish. Take your time.

One of the most important things about P90X is to have a heart monitor, and pay attention to it, especially when you're just starting because it will put your heart rate into a dangerous zone...and at that point, whether you finish the exercise or not, you're doing far more harm than good.

I wanted to start with the hardest to kind of test myself and see where I'm at physically. I'm extremely sore today, but it's a great sore. I miss this feeling. Tonight I'm doing Cardio and Ab Ripper X. I've basically come to the conslusion that I'm going to do about 2 weeks of Pre90X to get into better overall shape, then start the program officially using the actual 90 day calendar. And thanks for the heart tip. Will have to get a monitor...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Keep at it. I would recommend taking a 10 min break in the middle and then using half effort through the rest so you can finish.

That sounds like a good idea. I might try that next time if I'm struggling. I drank a bit too much water during the Plyo one, so that held me back. Also, I bought that Iron Gym pullup bar you recommended on Amazon. For $40 bucks, looks like a good deal. and I got free 1 day shipping so it'll be here tomorrow.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
I wanted to start with the hardest to kind of test myself and see where I'm at physically. I'm extremely sore today, but it's a great sore. I miss this feeling. Tonight I'm doing Cardio and Ab Ripper X. I've basically come to the conslusion that I'm going to do about 2 weeks of Pre90X to get into better overall shape, then start the program officially using the actual 90 day calendar. And thanks for the heart tip. Will have to get a monitor...

That sounds like a good idea. I might try that next time if I'm struggling. I drank a bit too much water during the Plyo one, so that held me back. Also, I bought that Iron Gym pullup bar you recommended on Amazon. For $40 bucks, looks like a good deal. and I got free 1 day shipping so it'll be here tomorrow.

With that pull-up bar you may want to stick some very basic pads behind the back of the bar that holds it in place just for the sake of your drywall. It has worked well for me so far. You will have to use a chair to make it through the workouts, but dont let that discourage you. Not many people can do 120 pull ups right away.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
With that pull-up bar you may want to stick some very basic pads behind the back of the bar that holds it in place just for the sake of your drywall. It has worked well for me so far. You will have to use a chair to make it through the workouts, but dont let that discourage you. Not many people can do 120 pull ups right away.

Ya, I'm kind of worried about that as I'm 6'6 and I'm pretty sure I can reach the bar from my knees. But we'll see what happens.

Just finished my day 2 workout. Was able to do all of CardioX and part of Ab Ripper X. I'm feeling great and in just 2 days I've fallen in love with this program. Can't wait to get my pull-up bar tomorrow.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Ya, I'm kind of worried about that as I'm 6'6 and I'm pretty sure I can reach the bar from my knees. But we'll see what happens.

Just finished my day 2 workout. Was able to do all of CardioX and part of Ab Ripper X. I'm feeling great and in just 2 days I've fallen in love with this program. Can't wait to get my pull-up bar tomorrow.

I have a question for those who've done this. I'm not sure I can put a pull-up bar anywhere in my house. Is there any sort of substitute for that part or not really?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:44 AM)
I have a question for those who've done this. I'm not sure I can put a pull-up bar anywhere in my house. Is there any sort of substitute for that part or not really?

The bands have an attachment that can close in a door and you can do lat pulldowns form the kneeling or sitting down position.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
Shoulders/Arms today, didnt have the energy for Abs, still getting over the flu I guess.

Anyone have interest in starting a 60-ish day support group aiming towards being healthy for Jan 1?

Ya, I'm down for that.

Tonight was day 3, did Kenpo X, and I'm not sure if I'm already in better shape/gaining endurance, but it was relatively "easy" compared to the others I've done and I was able to complete it. I'll admit though I had to skip out on about 1/2 the reps in all the exercises with kicks because my knees were killing me from all the squatting and the brace I had on. Going with the Cory Synergistics tomorrow.

Oh, and that pull-up bar is awesome.

Rock, I just got a copy of the program, but think I may be missing something. The introductory DVD was good and referenced doing an initial fit test. Did I miss the test on that DVD or is it on another DVD? I'm wondering if I am missing one? I have one marked Intro and the 12 workout DVD's.

Thanks

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
Rock, I just got a copy of the program, but think I may be missing something. The introductory DVD was good and referenced doing an initial fit test. Did I miss the test on that DVD or is it on another DVD? I'm wondering if I am missing one? I have one marked Intro and the 12 workout DVD's.

Thanks

I don't think the test is on a disc. It should be in the booklet. It's on paper.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
Shoulders/Arms today, didnt have the energy for Abs, still getting over the flu I guess.

Anyone have interest in starting a 60-ish day support group aiming towards being healthy for Jan 1?

I'm down with that. I got through 7 weeks before my computer crashed. I have P90X on a flash drive. Now I need to start back up.

started week 5 tonight (skipped the recovery week so in week 6 of the program) and damn did Chest/Shoulders/Tris KILL me tonight. I did worse this time round than i did last week. Not cool. But hey, I expect to be uber-sore tomorrow and that's a good thing.

And Rex, the fit test is in the P90X book that describes all the moves and the different programs like Classic/Lean/Doubles etc. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Rock, I'm sure you can answer this.

With the nutrition guide for P90x, are you supposed to change your 'levels' as you go along in the program? I'm 200 pounds and fall right at the bottom of level 2. Let's say in several weeks I'm down to 190, do I recalculate everything and eat according to level 1 now? I'm sure you do, but I think to myself, I'm in interested in staying around my weight (after losing fat and gaining muscle), shouldn't I just keep at level 2? Or for that matter, eat the portions at level 3 to gain more mass?

I'm sure I'm missing some piece of wisdom that is listed in the nutrition guide that comes with the DVDs. I just found some of the key points about what to eat, portions, etc. on a website

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 03:33 AM)
Rock, I'm sure you can answer this.

With the nutrition guide for P90x, are you supposed to change your 'levels' as you go along in the program? I'm 200 pounds and fall right at the bottom of level 2. Let's say in several weeks I'm down to 190, do I recalculate everything and eat according to level 1 now? I'm sure you do, but I think to myself, I'm in interested in staying around my weight (after losing fat and gaining muscle), shouldn't I just keep at level 2? Or for that matter, eat the portions at level 3 to gain more mass?

I'm sure I'm missing some piece of wisdom that is listed in the nutrition guide that comes with the DVDs. I just found some of the key points about what to eat, portions, etc. on a website

You know I tossed my nutrition book to a buddy for the program so I dont have it in front of me, but what I can remember is that you begin the program at a certain stage and then you move to another level as you lean out. I believe it was more carb heavy at the beginning?

• 1 month later...

Just got a digital copy of this from my coworker's portable drive. Looking into purchasing the equipment now.

Rock, I have read your comments in this thread. It appears as though you are suggesting the pull-up bar and bands as opposed to bands and weights. I was told one could buy the bands in lieu of the pull up bar, not the weights. Would you say though that the bar is pretty important to have?

Just curious.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
Just got a digital copy of this from my coworker's portable drive. Looking into purchasing the equipment now.

Rock, I have read your comments in this thread. It appears as though you are suggesting the pull-up bar and bands as opposed to bands and weights. I was told one could buy the bands in lieu of the pull up bar, not the weights. Would you say though that the bar is pretty important to have?

Just curious.

The bar is pretty important and actually just upgraded to the set of adjustable weights by bowflex and its really stepped up my workout this time around.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
The bar is pretty important and actually just upgraded to the set of adjustable weights by bowflex and its really stepped up my workout this time around.

Yeah, I'm looking at the Bowflex set as well as the Powerblock set.

Think I may start out with the bands first to make sure I like the program, then go with the adj dumbbells down the road if I stick with the program.