P90X

StrangeSox

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
So are you guys noticing a huge difference in your bodies since you started p90x? I'm considering starting it once summer comes around.

nah man, start it NOW so you can be ripped by summertime!

seriously though it DOES make a significant difference. I was at work last night and a girl and a guy were jokingly flexing their biceps and so i "jokingly" did too... both were surprised at how muscley I've gotten in just a couple months. it's kinda fun. :)

QUOTE (Getupstretch39 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Sorry if this has been discussed but I don't feel like searching for it. Obviously the better shape you are in to start this the better, but what kind of shape should you be in to start? Can the programs be tailored to suit beginners?

Thanks!

yeah it definitely can - there are modifications you can make to almost any move to make them harder or easier. although we'd have a better time answering your question if you gave some specifics... what height/weight are you at now?

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
So are you guys noticing a huge difference in your bodies since you started p90x? I'm considering starting it once summer comes around.

I have smoked on and off for 15 years, have always been fairly athletic, but never worked out. Throughout my teens and early twenties, I stayed fit by playing sports with my friends, basically. Since they've all bitten the dust and gotten married, started families, my level and frequency of physical activity had declined.

Then I moved to Vegas.

Everyone is at the pool here flashing their s*** all day and night, so I figured I had better get my ass in gear.

I quit smoking around Christmas and then started P90X on Jan 18th. I did no preliminary working out before hand.

I can tell you about 23 days, I am already in the best shape of my life since high school. My clothes fit much better (in fact, some are too big now so I may have to go shopping), I feel a thousand times better, I have more energy, etc. I cannot tell you how rapidly the program begins to work. A lot of this I felt occurring after the first 5 days, to be honest with you.

I have no doubt that in 70 days or whatever, once I get finished with the program, that I will be one of the more healthy and fit people out at the pool, and if I would have known results like this were this readily attainable, I would have done it in 2004 when the program was first released to the public. I've already convinced 4 people to buy the program, and I will continue to tell everyone I know that it will absolutely change your life if you put the effort in.

I know it has mine.

Well the thing is i'm already in the best shape of my life, i went from 230 to 160, now I'm up to 170 after gaining 10 lbs in muscle since last November. I just think it would be better to start doing during summer when i have my basement at home and more room to do all the exercises. Will this make my muscles larger, and not just more toned and my body all ripped up??

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
Well the thing is i'm already in the best shape of my life, i went from 230 to 160, now I'm up to 170 after gaining 10 lbs in muscle since last November. I just think it would be better to start doing during summer when i have my basement at home and more room to do all the exercises. Will this make my muscles larger, and not just more toned and my body all ripped up??

it'll make your muscles larger if you eat right, work out right, and take your supplements (recovery drinks, whey, creatine, etc)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
it'll make your muscles larger if you eat right, work out right, and take your supplements (recovery drinks, whey, creatine, etc)

Well I'm already doing all those things, I'm just considering doing P90x

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)

I second that. This will do everything you need if you do it right. You'll just have to focus on doing maximum weights for 8-10 reps...and as Reddy said, they will give you instructions on how to work each exercise for lean and toned or to build size. And you'll also see in the dvds...some of these dudes are pretty ripped up, and they definitely struggle in these workouts. So you can really do a wide variety of things.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
yeah it definitely can - there are modifications you can make to almost any move to make them harder or easier. although we'd have a better time answering your question if you gave some specifics... what height/weight are you at now?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm 5'11" 260. Most people are shocked when they find out I am 260, they always say they would guess about 230 or so. I have more of a fullback-type build. I'm fairly athletic, I'm one of the faster guys on my 16" softball team )play OF) and still play guard for basketball. I recently started working out seriously again , started a running program to get me to 2 miles on the treadmill (almost there) and I can rep 225 6 times just to give you a quick snapshot. I went from 185 in high school to 225 in college, since then I've been pretty stagnant in my working out which resulted in serious weight gain, on again, off again, bouncing between 250 and 270. I'm getting married next year and needless to say need to get serious again and I'm really interested in P90X. I just want to make sure I'm not overshooting things by starting it where I am right now.

QUOTE (Getupstretch39 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Thanks for the reply.

I'm 5'11" 260. Most people are shocked when they find out I am 260, they always say they would guess about 230 or so. I have more of a fullback-type build. I'm fairly athletic, I'm one of the faster guys on my 16" softball team )play OF) and still play guard for basketball. I recently started working out seriously again , started a running program to get me to 2 miles on the treadmill (almost there) and I can rep 225 6 times just to give you a quick snapshot. I went from 185 in high school to 225 in college, since then I've been pretty stagnant in my working out which resulted in serious weight gain, on again, off again, bouncing between 250 and 270. I'm getting married next year and needless to say need to get serious again and I'm really interested in P90X. I just want to make sure I'm not overshooting things by starting it where I am right now.

If you just do your best every workout, and I mean, your absolute best...not your best when you get tired, or when you start to feel wasted, but you bust your ass til you can't go anymore, you will be fine. The first two workouts will be hell, but then you will start to make major progress by the end of the first week. Especially if you are fairly athletic, your body will catch on quickly. The key will just be to get over the hump cardiovascularly at first. From then on out, you'll be amazed with the results.

As for the nutrition plan they recommend, my advice would be to use moderation. Don't suddenly go from a diet consisting of lots of carbs and fats to none. Moderately reduce your consumption of junk and start replacing it with lean proteins and vegetables and you'll start to see weight loss and increased energy.

My guess is by then you'll be addicted and well on your way.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
Well I'm already doing all those things, I'm just considering doing P90x

You will get completely ripped up and can gain mass if you use heavier weights and skip some of the diet recommendations. You could also sub out some of the cardio work for resistance work.

The main difference between this and working out is that this makes you use muscles in ways you wouldnt have done by going to a gym. The stabilizing muscles, your core, even your legs will be used like you wouldnt have expected. The core synergistics days (which is during your res week mind you) just tore me apart last night, but in a good way. My lower back and sides are sore, which is good since it shows I havent used those as much as I should have previously.

QUOTE (Getupstretch39 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
Thanks for the reply.

This thing will probably lean you down quite a bit in the core and in your face to be honest. You should see a few inches of your waist peel off in the first 30 days alone.

I'll see what my measurements are at come spring break, and if they haven't improved like I believe they have then I will most likely start p90x. Otherwise, I'll stick with what I'm doing until at least summer. I think a 6 week period of this new work out plan I've implemented will be enough to take measurements for.

I'm still iffy if the product is worth the money but from everything you guys are saying and from personal recommendations, I may have to use some of the income tax check on it. I have an Iron Gym, 25 lb dumbells, yoga mat, fitness ball, resistance band. What else do I need?

I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs (size 32 waist), in decent looking shape, really looking to get the ab definition I had back in highschool and to achieve greater muscle mass. In addition to the nutrition plan, are you guys stopping at GNC and getting stuff? If so, what recommendations do you have to tie in with P90x with also considering my measurements? Thanks guys

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
I'm still iffy if the product is worth the money but from everything you guys are saying and from personal recommendations, I may have to use some of the income tax check on it. I have an Iron Gym, 25 lb dumbells, yoga mat, fitness ball, resistance band. What else do I need?

I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs (size 32 waist), in decent looking shape, really looking to get the ab definition I had back in highschool and to achieve greater muscle mass. In addition to the nutrition plan, are you guys stopping at GNC and getting stuff? If so, what recommendations do you have to tie in with P90x with also considering my measurements? Thanks guys

You might want to get a few more weights or resistance bands, but that is it. Maybe a set of 12's and a set of 35's or something?

The product is definitely worth the money. Every last cent. I would pay triple for it knowing what I do now.

I bought some muscle milk light powder to make shakes for overall maintenance, and then some optimum whey protein powder for a recovery drink. I ordered them on Amazon for a total of like $80. The optimum will last me 3-4 months, the muscle milk probably a total of 2 months.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
You might want to get a few more weights or resistance bands, but that is it. Maybe a set of 12's and a set of 35's or something?

The product is definitely worth the money. Every last cent. I would pay triple for it knowing what I do now.

I bought some muscle milk light powder to make shakes for overall maintenance, and then some optimum whey protein powder for a recovery drink. I ordered them on Amazon for a total of like $80. The optimum will last me 3-4 months, the muscle milk probably a total of 2 months.

i started out doing whey as a recovery drink - but it really doesn't quite work that way. your recovery drink needs to be a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. Because while protein is great, it requires complex carbs to metabolize it. Without the carbs, your protein's doing you no good. That's why Whey is good to take either right before, or about an hour or so after your workout - while a recovery drink should be done IMMEDIATELY following the workout. The P90X recovery drink is epic, but a cheaper option I've done is Endurox R4, pretty decent tasting and gets the job done just as well for a little bit less.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 03:54 AM)
i started out doing whey as a recovery drink - but it really doesn't quite work that way. your recovery drink needs to be a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. Because while protein is great, it requires complex carbs to metabolize it. Without the carbs, your protein's doing you no good. That's why Whey is good to take either right before, or about an hour or so after your workout - while a recovery drink should be done IMMEDIATELY following the workout. The P90X recovery drink is epic, but a cheaper option I've done is Endurox R4, pretty decent tasting and gets the job done just as well for a little bit less.

Interesting. I was not aware of that.

Usually I drink it after I get out of the shower, so about 45 mins after my workout. You think that is ok?

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs (size 32 waist)

This seems odd to me as I am 6' 230 and I wear a 34 waist..

Either way, its so hard to believe 3am promos on TV but I wanna believe P90x does what the before and afters show.. I would need to see pictures from you guys using it who have really done it right before I would buy it.. I don't doubt that its good, but if im gonna drop 100+ on this thing I literally wanna be a different person in 90 days..

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 04:19 AM)

Either way, its so hard to believe 3am promos on TV but I wanna believe P90x does what the before and afters show.. I would need to see pictures from you guys using it who have really done it right before I would buy it.. I don't doubt that its good, but if im gonna drop 100+ on this thing I literally wanna be a different person in 90 days..

I know I have been trumpeting this program, but I can't tell you guys enough how awesome it is.

I've been doing it for 26 days now. I have lost approximately 12 pounds (187-175 LBS), and that is probably more like 14-15 since I bet I have gained a few pounds of muscle.

I'm not even 1/3 of the way through the program and I can tell you it has changed my life. I am a better athlete and a more healthy person in every way.

I will try and post some pictures on Tuesday of me after my first workout and me after 30 days.

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)

Well, it's the size I wear and feel most comfortable in. I admit, I wear them pretty loose with a belt.

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 04:19 AM)

listen, you won't (probably) drop 100lbs in ONE round of P90X. That is, unless you stick EXACTLY to the nutrition guide and never miss a day of workouts - etc. Then you might have a fighting chance.

What you will do is drop a significant percentage of that weight - which will lean you out all over - you'll love the way you're looking, and you won't wanna stop. By the time you complete two rounds I wouldn't be surprised if you lost 100lbs.