P90X

StrangeSox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 03:00 AM)
Interesting. I was not aware of that.

Usually I drink it after I get out of the shower, so about 45 mins after my workout. You think that is ok?

Drink Chocolate milk immediately after you workout. Or drink a shake with more carb content right after your workout. I also have one about 30 min before.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Drink Chocolate milk immediately after you workout. Or drink a shake with more carb content right after your workout. I also have one about 30 min before.

there's all sorts of talk about chocolate milk being the best recovery drink. and it IS good. But the kind of protein found in milk is called casein, which takes a long time (8 hours or so) to be absorbed and metabolized, while the protein found in most pre-packaged recovery drinks is a quicker metabolizing version. I usually drink a glass of milk before bed so my body absorbs the protein while i'm sleeping and has something to do for that whole 8 hours.

so yeah, if you don't wanna spring for the recovery drink, do chocolate milk immediately after, then do the whey when you're doing it now, 45-60 min after workout.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
listen, you won't (probably) drop 100lbs in ONE round of P90X. That is, unless you stick EXACTLY to the nutrition guide and never miss a day of workouts - etc. Then you might have a fighting chance.

What you will do is drop a significant percentage of that weight - which will lean you out all over - you'll love the way you're looking, and you won't wanna stop. By the time you complete two rounds I wouldn't be surprised if you lost 100lbs.

I think he meant $100+, not 100 lbs...;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
I think he meant $100+, not 100 lbs...;)

haha yeah I don't need to drop 100 lbs I meant $100.. There is no physical way possible I could weigh 130 lbs and not die..

I dont have insane expectations for this either, I just see the infomercials and stuff and the before and afters are really different.. if its legit, I want to invest my time and money on it..

What's the diet like on these things? I am 5'9", 145 lbs., but I tend to eat a lot (and junk), probably too much. The workouts I do currently I think are fine, but it's the eating I have a problem. Any tips to keeping to a diet? I am talking about getting "shredded" in the abs, lol?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
What's the diet like on these things? I am 5'9", 145 lbs., but I tend to eat a lot (and junk), probably too much. The workouts I do currently I think are fine, but it's the eating I have a problem. Any tips to keeping to a diet? I am talking about getting "shredded" in the abs, lol?

The nutrition plan they give you is really strict. The first 30 days they allow you to eat very little fat, carbs, or even fruit. It basically calls for all lean protein, vegetables, and some dairy.

I think it's pretty difficult to follow the nutrition plan to the letter. I have made some adjustments in my diet, but have certainly eaten more fat, carbs, and fruit than they would have liked. I'm not trying to be in the infomercial, so I am not going to make myself miserable.

That's not to say you should continue eating s*** though either. I just think maybe a bit more reasonableness or moderation works well for me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
The nutrition plan they give you is really strict. The first 30 days they allow you to eat very little fat, carbs, or even fruit. It basically calls for all lean protein, vegetables, and some dairy.

I think it's pretty difficult to follow the nutrition plan to the letter. I have made some adjustments in my diet, but have certainly eaten more fat, carbs, and fruit than they would have liked. I'm not trying to be in the infomercial, so I am not going to make myself miserable.

That's not to say you should continue eating s*** though either. I just think maybe a bit more reasonableness or moderation works well for me.

Frankly if you cut out all the fast food and s***, and go grocery shopping and make healthy meals and follow the workout program, you'll be good to go. You'll prob drop a TON of body fat and 3-4 inches on the waist at least.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 07:24 PM)
Frankly if you cut out all the fast food and s***, and go grocery shopping and make healthy meals and follow the workout program, you'll be good to go. You'll prob drop a TON of body fat and 3-4 inches on the waist at least.

Definitely. I've started buying more lean meats like chicken and turkey. Have also picked up some tuna and salmon. Additionally, have been picking up sushi. One other focus is lower sodium. Most foods you buy have a lower sodium option that really isn't much of a step down in taste.

I've not been much of a fast food eater for several years, but I have tightened up the eating habits a notch and I am seriously fitting into clothes I have not fit into in several years (like crap I bought when I was 22, I am 32 now).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)

See, this is my issue with this.. I got stomach fat that I need to lose, however I don't see me losing any inches because my waist really isn't the problem.. ive been wearing the same size pants since pretty much senior year in high school..

My issue is with stomach fat, my legs are fine my arms are fine its the midsection area that is holding me back..

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
See, this is my issue with this.. I got stomach fat that I need to lose, however I don't see me losing any inches because my waist really isn't the problem.. ive been wearing the same size pants since pretty much senior year in high school..

My issue is with stomach fat, my legs are fine my arms are fine its the midsection area that is holding me back..

Well, you'll lose the gut, so who cares whether you lose inches off your waist size or not?

Your stomach fat is the last area of fat loss. You'll see definition in your arms/legs well before you see your abs. If you have good definition in your arms and legs, you aren't far away from definition in your midsection. There's no such thing as hitting an area harder than another (in terms of fat loss).

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
Your stomach fat is the last area of fat loss. You'll see definition in your arms/legs well before you see your abs. If you have good definition in your arms and legs, you aren't far away from definition in your midsection. There's no such thing as hitting an area harder than another (in terms of fat loss).

I know, most of what I am talking about is pretty much just what should I expect to get from P90X..

Ive played sports all my life, when I was in college I was majoring in Kinesiology.. Im still athletic, and muscular, however ive been pretty lazy the past year or so and have had terrible eating habits.. I have definition in my midsection, its just currently covered by fat that I need to ditch..

Basically, im not some fat kid who is looking to get into shape.. more of I want to get back to where I once was, and go past it as well to be better..

My worst thing is that I eat well throughout the day, morning to dinner, but after dinner I binge eat. Grab some dark chocolate M&Ms, some ice cream and the likes. I wish I could just cut out my foods after dinner, but I can't. Any tips for curbing hunger or how to not eat after dinner. I eat around 7 p.m. and go to sleep around 11.

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
I know, most of what I am talking about is pretty much just what should I expect to get from P90X..

Ive played sports all my life, when I was in college I was majoring in Kinesiology.. Im still athletic, and muscular, however ive been pretty lazy the past year or so and have had terrible eating habits.. I have definition in my midsection, its just currently covered by fat that I need to ditch..

Basically, im not some fat kid who is looking to get into shape.. more of I want to get back to where I once was, and go past it as well to be better..

The is designed for you then. P90X is for athletes that want to take that next step. You cannot complete this program if you dont already have some level of fitness. I am literally doing it to welcome my 6-pack back, the rest is gravy to me.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
My worst thing is that I eat well throughout the day, morning to dinner, but after dinner I binge eat. Grab some dark chocolate M&Ms, some ice cream and the likes. I wish I could just cut out my foods after dinner, but I can't. Any tips for curbing hunger or how to not eat after dinner. I eat around 7 p.m. and go to sleep around 11.

My major weakness as well. I have been trying to eat turkey slices or some other protein which fills you up pretty good. Ill even save a protein shake for late night. Drink TONS of water as well. I still have bad nights, but not as frequent.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)

Chew gum. The act of chewing has some psychological effect on hunger, plus it tastes good. Also, drinking plenty of water with help curb hunger; at least a gallon per day.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
My major weakness as well. I have been trying to eat turkey slices or some other protein which fills you up pretty good. Ill even save a protein shake for late night. Drink TONS of water as well. I still have bad nights, but not as frequent.

I do drink lots of water, but not so much after dinner, so maybe I'll start doing that more frequently.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
Chew gum. The act of chewing has some psychological effect on hunger, plus it tastes good. Also, drinking plenty of water with help curb hunger; at least a gallon per day.

Also chew gum, but at least for me, it has no affect.

I find chewing gum more of a help to stave off sweet craving more than overall hunger.

But drinking water is important especially during the night and in the morning. Your body will dehydrate overnight, and it's important for metabolism to keep it as hydrated as possible. Studies have shown that when you consume about 20 oz of cold water immediately upon waking up, your metabolism experiences a nice boost. Also, it takes about 5 calories for your body to warm up a glass of cold water to body temperature leading to more calories burned.