Our Putrid Cfer's

Chisoxfn

http://www.southsidesox.com/2009/5/14/8755...-seasons-for-cf

A pretty interesting piece from Cheat's Blog. Basically shows how awful Brian Anderson has been, but if you think he sucks, just imagine how piss poor this seasons current production has been. Of course this season, Anderson statistically has been relatively solid as a starter in CF.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ May 15, 2009 -> 04:07 AM)
I hate the Angels for swooping Torii Hunter from beneath our wings everytime I see him on Sports Center being sick in Center.

I love the Angels for swooping in and getting Hunter and saving us 18 million dollars, which could easily be 25% of our payroll next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
I love the Angels for swooping in and getting Hunter and saving us 18 million dollars, which could easily be 25% of our payroll next year.

I can't imagine how badly this team would be selling people off if we had signed that deal.

Who's to say what would be what though. Could Hunter have made a difference in the post-season? Would Quentin have gotten hurt if Hunter were on the team? I guess I like to pretend the money wouldn't matter. Obviously if they planned on signing him they had a plan laid out for where things might fall after 2008; all I'm really saying is that the signing would have CF taken care of.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 14, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
You mean the leadoff guy with the .322 avg....382 OBP and 10 stolen bases?...that Willy Traveras?

Small sample size this year, but I'd stroke it if we had a CFer with those numbers.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 15, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)
Small sample size this year, but I'd stroke it if we had a CFer with those numbers.

He did the same thing (although in less than 400 at-bats) in 2007. But I believe the mandatory reply to that was, "Well, that was in the woeful NL. He could never do that in the AL."

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)
He did the same thing (although in less than 400 at-bats) in 2007. But I believe the mandatory reply to that was, "Well, that was in the woeful NL. He could never do that in the AL."

Yep. Pretty much had one down year (last year). His 2005, 2006 numbers are good as well. About the only downside I can find in his numbers are lack of extra base hits, but he's good to turn at least 30-40 of those singles into doubles anyway.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 15, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
Hunter would have pissed people off here something intense. His defense isn't what it used to be 2-3 years ago, and he put up an .810 OPS last year. Do you really want to pay someone like that $18 mill a year?

18 million sounds like a lot more sober this morning. :lolhitting

Edited by ROC Sox Fan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
Hunter would have pissed people off here something intense. His defense isn't what it used to be 2-3 years ago, and he put up an .810 OPS last year. Do you really want to pay someone like that $18 mill a year?

He's still a pretty nice player. He played hurt a lot last year. Great game yesterday.

From RotoWorld:

Torii Hunter-OF- Angels May. 14 - 7:55 pm et

Torii Hunter went 3-for-5 with a triple, a double and three RBI to help the Angels beat the Red Sox 5-4 in 12 innings Thursday.

He also stole two bases, but those were essentially given to him in the 11th inning with Jonathan Papelbon working with two outs. As big as any of his hits was his catch in the top of the 10th to rob Dustin Pedroia of a go-ahead double. He had seven hits and six RBI while the Angels won two out of three against the Red Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)

And that is something we do not talk about enough. Will this team make money this year? This slow start could hurt ticket sales. Wins and loses are one thing, perhaps we may not compete this season, but wouldn't it be grand if we could make more money than any team in the central? ;)

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
And that is something we do not talk about enough. Will this team make money this year? This slow start could hurt ticket sales. Wins and loses are one thing, perhaps we may not compete this season, but wouldn't it be grand if we could make more money than any team in the central? ;)

Because how much money a team makes has no affect on the product on the field at all, does it? Who cares.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:23 AM)
Because how much money a team makes has no affect on the product on the field at all, does it? Who cares.

I care a lot, and it's time we started looking at that. Obviously there are a lot of factors we can look at, schedule, when are the best draws coming to town? Weekends? Weekdays? Long term weather patterns? Hell, it beats discussing Fields and CF.

The team with the most money manages to stay competitive longer.We need something to happen in CF, but if I thought the team would lose money by bringing in someone who could make an impact, I'd be pissed.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
I care a lot, and it's time we started looking at that. Obviously there are a lot of factors we can look at, schedule, when are the best draws coming to town? Weekends? Weekdays? Long term weather patterns? Hell, it beats discussing Fields and CF.

The team with the most money manages to stay competitive longer.We need something to happen in CF, but if I thought the team would lose money by bringing in someone who could make an impact, I'd be pissed.

I'd be more pissed at being mocked for bringing up a valid point when it comes to building a team.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)

If you listen to the Sox, they make no profit whatsoever. There actually are people who believe them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
If you listen to the Sox, they make no profit whatsoever. There actually are people who believe them.

Because its true, or nearly so. The Sox little or no money year to year in net profits - which by the way is true of most baseball teams.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
Because its true, or nearly so. The Sox little or no money year to year in net profits - which by the way is true of most baseball teams.

According to Forbes, they have made over $70 million collectively the past 3 or 4 seasons, that's after paying the players. Maybe Forbes is incorrect, but I have heard KW use some of their figures when Forbes said they had the highest pct. of revenue spent on player salaries.

Face it, the Sox took advantage of their fans this year by raising prices because they had a lot of money in hand from unused playoff tickets, and dropping payroll. You can blame the economy, but the other teams in town have shown that people will still come out to the games and spend money if you give them a good product to watch. The Blackhawks will be freezing prices next year. Could you imagine the percentage increase they would have if the White Sox were running that organIzation? It also doesn't help when trying to justify the Brent Lillibridges of the world, your chairman is quoted as calling your 2008 division championship team boring.

I don't know how they were going to pay Hunter or Fukudome had they decided to play with the White Sox. The fact is, the checks wouldn't have bounced.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
According to Forbes, they have made over $70 million collectively the past 3 or 4 seasons, that's after paying the players. Maybe Forbes is incorrect, but I have heard KW use some of their figures when Forbes said they had the highest pct. of revenue spent on player salaries.

Face it, the Sox took advantage of their fans this year by raising prices because they had a lot of money in hand from unused playoff tickets, and dropping payroll. You can blame the economy, but the other teams in town have shown that people will still come out to the games and spend money if you give them a good product to watch. The Blackhawks will be freezing prices next year. Could you imagine the percentage increase they would have if the White Sox were running that organIzation? It also doesn't help when trying to justify the Brent Lillibridges of the world, your chairman is quoted as calling your 2008 division championship team boring.

I don't know how they were going to pay Hunter or Fukudome had they decided to play with the White Sox. The fact is, the checks wouldn't have bounced.

Sounds about right - that's like $18M per year in gross profit, less in net, which means they are making just a few percentage points in profit. I remember seeing the Sox at something like 1.9% the last year that I looked at Forbes' numbers, and that was better than a lot of teams.

This whole conspiracy theory that they are taking money out of the team and going "cheap" on payroll is just manifestly false. They make little money, they have one of the highest payrolls in baseball, and are facing lower ticket sales and rolling sponsorship losses. They aren't juicing the fans, they are doing what everyone has to do right now.

And for the love of... Brent Lillibridge is not playing because of salary issues!!!!!! He's the f***ing 4th string option in CF, due to injuries, which by the way no team in baseball would have a good option for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
I'd be more pissed at being mocked for bringing up a valid point when it comes to building a team.

Money is critical to building a team. The Sox are not positioned in a market where they can toss the asinine money at some players, and they should not have to. The important thing this season and perhaps next season is to save money. Seems reasonable to me. There is a balance between building a winning team and spending too much money. Without strong fiscal responsibility, we'd wind up like the Yankees. As I have stated before, it would really suck to find out the team lost money in 2005.

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
Money is critical to building a team. The Sox are not positioned in a market where they can toss the asinine money at some players, and they should not have to. The important thing this season and perhaps next season is to save money. Seems reasonable to me. There is a balance between building a winning team and spending too much money. Without strong fiscal responsibility, we'd wind up like the Yankees. As I have stated before, it would really suck to find out the team lost money in 2005.

Please stop.

Tex, no one is saying that its important whether or not the team makes money, in a vacuum. They are saying that salary has to be part of the picture because they don't have an unlimited budget. Why is this so hard for you to even acknowledge?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
Please stop.

Tex, no one is saying that its important whether or not the team makes money, in a vacuum. They are saying that salary has to be part of the picture because they don't have an unlimited budget. Why is this so hard for you to even acknowledge?

I acknowledge it. My entire point is I acknowledge it. Imagine if in a major market it is impossible to win a WS without making a profit. That would spell doom to baseball. It seems in 2005 we achieved a nice balance of salaries and performance. I wish I could find a better way of phrasing it. If you need to lose money to have a reasonable chance at winning a WS, and that holds true for any team, baseball has a problem.

So how will the teams performance to date affect spending for next year? Seems like a reasonable discussion for fans that are concerned about this, but instead the discussion devolved into attacking Tex.