Sox @ Jays 5-15

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 15, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
I like this lineup, except I would move Getz to third and let Nix play 2B.

That would make no sense, as while they are both very good defensively at 2B, Nix is much better suited to play 3B than Getz is.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
It's the wise move to let Ramirez develop at SS. He's the best defender we have at SS, and his future is there. He's still a project and still needs to develop. We're not going to throw all of the upside he potentially brings because of a rough start to the season offensively.

I'll be very disappointed if Beckham's not our starting SS within the next 2 years. I would hate for him to be moved to 3rd base, as that would mean Fields and Viciedo (defensively for Dayan) were busts.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 15, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
It's the wise move to let Ramirez develop at SS. He's the best defender we have at SS, and his future is there. He's still a project and still needs to develop. We're not going to throw all of the upside he potentially brings because of a rough start to the season offensively.

Nix on the other hand needs to show he can play all these different spots to keep a roster spot. His ability to play good D at 2B and possibly 3B and SS as well only increases his value to the team.

Why can't Nix be better at the position than Ramirez? I personally think Nix has a better skill set than Ramirez does for shortstop. I am just getting tired of the streaky all or nothing type of players this organization loves to hold onto for dear life. Ramirez and Fields are becoming those type of players in my mind.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
I'll be very disappointed if Beckham's not our starting SS within the next 2 years. I would hate for him to be moved to 3rd base, as that would mean Fields and Viciedo (defensively for Dayan) were busts.

I know he's not the prototypical looking 3B, but given the fact that he has a cannon for an arm and pretty good range, I wonder how Lexi would to at 3rd....

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)

Fields is teetering on being a bust and it wouldn't shock me if he was. I hope he figures things out though. But I don't think anyone considered him a slam dunk to succeed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:44 PM)
I think our best possible infield (defensively) would be Ramirez at SS, Nix at 2B and Beckham at 3B.

Beckham at 3rd base would really negate his offensive numbers from a position standpoint. The best possible way for the Sox to have a strong team up the middle is with Alexei in CF and Beckham at SS. Nix should not be in our 3 year plan though.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Beckham at 3rd base would really negate his offensive numbers from a position standpoint. The best possible way for the Sox to have a strong team up the middle is with Alexei in CF and Beckham at SS. Nix should not be in our 3 year plan though.

All I can say is, who gives a crap. Do you think the Rangers care that now instead of having an elite hitting SS, they now have a very good hitting 3B?

Unless we are planning on trading Beckham, it really doesn't matter if he has to play LF, as long as it results us putting the best team on the field.

If Alexei fails, then we have Beckham to replace him. But if Alexei improves his approach at bat, he would be the best option at SS, as his range is matched by few short stops.

And Fields is already balancing on the line of becomming a bust, and Viciedo seems like he's still quite a ways away and might be in line for a position change as I've heard his D is far from spectacular.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Ugh, I hate benching Fields against a LHP. If he's going to come out of his slump, it will be with a lefty on the mound. I can't belive we didn't bring back Anderson just cause the 2nd game got rained out.

According to Rongey, Fields much like Alexei last week has been "benched".

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 15, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
According to Rongey, Fields much like Alexei last week has been "benched".

And he should be. He looks lost at the plate. Hopefully a mental break will be good and that at the same time, him and Walker are working hard core on making some minor adjustments and that he's working big time on those adjustments in the cages.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 15, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
That would make no sense, as while they are both very good defensively at 2B, Nix is much better suited to play 3B than Getz is.

Nix is superior to Getz defensively at 2B, but he didn't look too good at 3B when he played there briefly a week or two ago. Getz could probably play 3B as well as Nix can but Nix is by far the best second baseman on the team.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
Nix is superior to Getz defensively at 2B, but he didn't look too good at 3B when he played there briefly a week or two ago. Getz could probably play 3B as well as Nix can but Nix is by far the best second baseman on the team.

lol, Nix might indeed be the better defender, but Getz is an extremely good defender as well and has done nothing but make great plays at 2B.

The slight defensive upgrade at 2B Nix might provide is not worth the defensive dropoff at 3B if we put Getz there. While Nix didn't look great playing 3B for the first time in a year and a total of 9 times in his career, he'd still be a better option at 3B as he has the much better arm.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 15, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
lol, Nix might indeed be the better defender, but Getz is an extremely good defender as well and has done nothing but make great plays at 2B.

The slight defensive upgrade at 2B Nix might provide is not worth the defensive dropoff at 3B if we put Getz there. While Nix didn't look great playing 3B for the first time in a year and a total of 9 times in his career, he'd still be a better option at 3B as he has the much better arm.

Getz is also thought of as a potential long-term option at 2B, so your better off moving the other guy around as opposed to Getz. Or at least thats Ozzie's though process and I can't argue with it.