Sox @ Jays 5-15

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
Just a hunch but I'm thinking this is where Ozzie threatens to quit.

Either that, or we will hear in a few months how close he was to quitting but how lucky we are that he be managing longer than players are playing because he has a lot of friends. I wouldn't mind if Ozzie quit the only problem is its pretty much a lock Joey Cora would take over and I don't think that's an upgrade.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (tommy @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
We are playing a first place Blue Jays team, regardless.. nothing will happen until at least the series is over.

It seems like they usually play very well against us and this year they happen to be real good and we happen to be bad. So getting owned is what you knew was going to happen.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
The approach does not change from one game to the next. From the get go this team looks overmatched on certain days and they do nothing to change the tempo of the pitcher.

You know based on the first four innings and many other games this season that they may get a run or two later when the game is out of reach after Broadway gets his hands on the game.

I will use the Minnesota game yesterday as the kind of game the White Sox are incapable of playing.

They look like they just do not care.

Broadway hasn't really pitched all that bad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
Either that, or we will hear in a few months how close he was to quitting but how lucky we are that he be managing longer than players are playing because he has a lot of friends.

He is the least of the worries on this team.

Losing to Toronto isn't problem. The problem with this team is the corpseball mentality.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Carrasco's warming up. These 2nd year stars (Quentin, Alexei, Danks, and Floyd) are having just nightmare seasons.

I woudln't exactly say that danks has had a nightmare season. One bad start and I do recall quite a few people expecting Quentin to have a bit of a rebound. Wrist injuries are tough to come back from, plus his swing doesn't look near as quick as it did last season. I expect Floyd to get his s*** together though, same with Alexei and Quentin.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
He is the least of the worries on this team.

Losing to Toronto isn't problem. The problem with this team is the corpseball mentality.

If you're referring to Ozzie, isn't he responsible for some of that? If he's supposed to be a great motivator, then how in the hell is this team so flat to start every game.

FWIW, this has been Ozzie's best year at handling the pitchers. He's had a good sense of the games we're competitive in.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Just a hunch but I'm thinking this is where Ozzie threatens to quit.

I want to know what the f*** is up with Guillen. Aside from getting tossed in the Tribe game for protecting the Indians players he hasn't done a f***ing thing. I wonder if he's quietly pissed about what he was handed this season? That or the Sox brass has another plan in mind and is truthfully planning on tearing things apart and going into a rebuilding mode for at least this season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)
I woudln't exactly say that danks has had a nightmare season. One bad start and I do recall quite a few people expecting Quentin to have a bit of a rebound. Wrist injuries are tough to come back from, plus his swing doesn't look near as quick as it did last season. I expect Floyd to get his s*** together though, same with Alexei and Quentin.

I actually think Alexei will be just fine. Of the 4, he's the one I think has the best chance of matching last year's numbers. Gavin, of course, scares the hell out of me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
I was just screwing around. I do know the Greg Walker headhunters will probably be out tonight, but the pitching was terrible.

Dick, I've defended Walk as much as anyone on here, but I also woudln't fault the franchise for firing him if they did in so decide to. A message needs to be sent and unfortunately you can't demote the whole lineup so its usually easier to go with a coach.

I just don't think Walker is the reason they suck, although firing him could like a spark under some players asses. I also think Walker would find a job and they would more likely demote him down to the minors or something as opposed to purely fire him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
I want to know what the f*** is up with Guillen. Aside from getting tossed in the Tribe game for protecting the Indians players he hasn't done a f***ing thing. I wonder if he's quietly pissed about what he was handed this season? That or the Sox brass has another plan in mind and is truthfully planning on tearing things apart and going into a rebuilding mode for at least this season.

I shared this in chat, but Ozzie and KW disagree on going young right now. KW wants to see an infusion of young players on the roster, and Ozzie wants to ride it out with the veterans for a while longer. This was perfectly illustrated in his Beckham/Poreda comments.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
If you're referring to Ozzie, isn't he responsible for some of that? If he's supposed to be a great motivator, then how in the hell is this team so flat to start every game.

FWIW, this has been Ozzie's best year at handling the pitchers. He's had a good sense of the games we're competitive in.

I just wonder why Ozzie hasn't snapped. But I think it might be because he realizes how laughable his everyday lineup has been most of the year. Either way, something has to happen and fast, imo, to get this s*** back together.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Pitching is not the problem. Teams are able to pin back their ears offensively and pitchers if they execute their game plan are unhittable.

The White Sox have given up 8+ runs just as many times as they have been shutout this year. They may do both tonight.The bullpen has been stellar, but outside of Buerhle, the starters have been shaky. Danks was awesome his first 3 starts but horrid in 3 of his last 4. Floyd has been terrible as has Contreras, Colon has had his moments but has been not surprisingly, inconsistent.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)

I would say it is the hitting approach. You pointed out the other day and I agree that the cubs draw a lot of walks. Well I think that is a philosophy. Fight off pitches and take pitcher's strikes when you are ahead in the count. The Sox do neither and that is why they get embarrassed on a regular basis by a pitcher that can hit his spots.

If Ramirez and Fields are what they are looking for, that philsophy will not change any time soon as neither has any command of the strike zone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:17 AM)
I should start scouting who the top pick in next years draft is going to be, haha.

Already thinking about that. I have a vision of the 7th pick in the draft. Teams that should be worse, with regards to record, are Pittsburgh, San Diego, Houston, Washington and Baltimore.