Sox @ Jays 5-15

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
I just wonder why Ozzie hasn't snapped. But I think it might be because he realizes how laughable his everyday lineup has been most of the year. Either way, something has to happen and fast, imo, to get this s*** back together.

Didn't they make a big deal out of the attitude and general personality change when the got Swisher and Cabrera? They really were back to the quiet almost take your beating like a man mentality the disaster of 2007 was.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)
I just wonder why Ozzie hasn't snapped. But I think it might be because he realizes how laughable his everyday lineup has been most of the year. Either way, something has to happen and fast, imo, to get this s*** back together.

When you have the same cast of characters for a few seasons, how is snapping going to get them going? They've seen it and heard it all from him. How come no one has mentioned that maybe our pitchers are just dead tired from last year, as they had to throw a ton of innings and made a few starts on short rest (well worth it at the time)?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
I shared this in chat, but Ozzie and KW disagree on going young right now. KW wants to see an infusion of young players on the roster, and Ozzie wants to ride it out with the veterans for a while longer. This was perfectly illustrated in his Beckham/Poreda comments.

It just doesn't make sense to me though. At the same time, the Sox were going to have a problem when we were counting on Contreras and Colon without a true plan B in the back of the rotation. Still, this division is so bad that its winnable and I almost think thats why the Sox didn't go into a full rebuilding mode this year or at least a really ballsy retooling period (where we relied very heavily on young players).

I wonder if Kenny sells quick. We know he loves buying before the deadline, but we haven't had to see him sell too often. I also get worried because he hasn't always been the greatest guy at getting value when he sells, that said, he has a knack for scouting and he has gotten some pretty good finds when he's sold (but he's also acquired a s***ton of garbage in deals where we are selling a player; see Swisher/Durham deals).

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
It's May 15th...

I like Aaron Hill...just happy he's healthy. I'll root for this Toronto team when they're not facing the Sox. It's scary how much they remind me of the 2005 Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
Didn't they make a big deal out of the attitude and general personality change when the got Swisher and Cabrera? They really were back to the quiet almost take your beating like a man mentality the disaster of 2007 was.

Yep and I think thats a really bad thing. Than again, I was one of the only people that still liked Cabrera by seasons end.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
I would say it is the hitting approach. You pointed out the other day and I agree that the cubs draw a lot of walks. Well I think that is a philosophy. Fight off pitches and take pitcher's strikes when you are ahead in the count. The Sox do neither and that is why they get embarrassed on a regular basis by a pitcher that can hit his spots.

If Ramirez and Fields are what they are looking for, that philsophy will not change any time soon as neither has any command of the strike zone.

The thing is KW stresses he wants high on base guys who can run who can hit and run and bunt, and play defense. The players he has on the roster do very little of that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
It just doesn't make sense to me though. At the same time, the Sox were going to have a problem when we were counting on Contreras and Colon without a true plan B in the back of the rotation. Still, this division is so bad that its winnable and I almost think thats why the Sox didn't go into a full rebuilding mode this year or at least a really ballsy retooling period (where we relied very heavily on young players).

Someone made a good point the other day: the 2008 Sox were not supposed to compete.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
When you have the same cast of characters for a few seasons, how is snapping going to get them going? They've seen it and heard it all from him. How come no one has mentioned that maybe our pitchers are just dead tired from last year, as they had to throw a ton of innings and made a few starts on short rest (well worth it at the time)?

Oh, I figured we'd see regression from Danks and Floyd as they were both young and pitched a lot of innings. I expected to see less regression in Floyd cause he had a longer history of throwing innings, but I expected regression either way and I think the Sox had to have as well. Which is why I b****ed and moaned about what the Sox had in the back of the rotation to start the season and of course anyone with a brain b****ed and moaned about CF cause we all know that was a joke.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:22 AM)
Yep and I think thats a really bad thing. Than again, I was one of the only people that still liked Cabrera by seasons end.

And I thought Swisher brought a positive attitude (at least to what we saw) in the dugout. These players must be miserable this year, as there's no smiles or anything. Is the highlight of the year really going to be the 2nd week of the season when Dye/PK hit #300? This season has a chance to get out of hand really quickly.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
I like Aaron Hill...just happy he's healthy. I'll root for this Toronto team when they're not facing the Sox. It's scary how much they remind me of the 2005 Sox.

They would be really filthy if they hadn't been crushed with young pitches getting injured.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)

Well I don't mind Cabrera and Swisher are gone but the goofyness or feistiness they brought or at least we were told they brought to the table, wasn't replaced.

The Sox are 2 games out. I just hope KW doesn't let this get away from him and tries to fix this asap. 83 or 84 wins and a hot October, KW can pat himself on the back again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:23 AM)
Oh, I figured we'd see regression from Danks and Floyd as they were both young and pitched a lot of innings. I expected to see less regression in Floyd cause he had a longer history of throwing innings, but I expected regression either way and I think the Sox had to have as well. Which is why I b****ed and moaned about what the Sox had in the back of the rotation to start the season and of course anyone with a brain b****ed and moaned about CF cause we all know that was a joke.

I know I got ridiculed for my Floyd hate last year, but everything about his numbers showed he'd really struggle this year. He led the league in unearned runs, which can be a scary stat.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:24 AM)
The Sox are 2 games out. I just hope KW doesn't let this get away from him and tries to fix this asap. 83 or 84 wins and a hot October, KW can pat himself on the back again.

Who's worse than the Sox in the AL Central? It seems we just don't match-up well in the division this year, especially with seemingly a lot of young players on opposing teams coming into their own (Verlander, Greinke, hell Joe Mauer, Choo, Lillibridge).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
I know I got ridiculed for my Floyd hate last year, but everything about his numbers showed he'd really struggle this year. He led the league in unearned runs, which can be a scary stat.

The Toronto game Floyd pitched sticks out as something that he can not shake. After Ramirez botched DP to end tte first he has sucked ever since.

The Blue Jays were literally stealing on him before he even started going to the plate.

He seems lost since then.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 15, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
The Toronto game Floyd pitched sticks out as something that he can not shake. After Ramirez botched DP to end tte first he has sucked ever since.

The Blue Jays were literally stealing on him before he even started going to the plate.

He seems lost since then.

Someone had a stat on here that in his last 20 starts, Floyd has an ERA near 6.00.