Sox @ Jays 5-15

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
Well I don't mind Cabrera and Swisher are gone but the goofyness or feistiness they brought or at least we were told they brought to the table, wasn't replaced.

The Sox are 2 games out. I just hope KW doesn't let this get away from him and tries to fix this asap. 83 or 84 wins and a hot October, KW can pat himself on the back again.

Come on, Konerko, Thome and JD are the goofsters. Note, I love those guys to death but I think we all know they are quiet vets and AJ doesn't have anyone to goof around with. I figured the Sox had learned a thing or two about 2007 but apparently not.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 01:35 AM)
Come on, Konerko, Thome and JD are the goofsters. Note, I love those guys to death but I think we all know they are quiet vets and AJ doesn't have anyone to goof around with. I figured the Sox had learned a thing or two about 2007 but apparently not.

Yeah, that does seem like a very serious dugout besides for AJP and Buehrle. Fields is scary serious, and Getz seems quiet.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
I know I got ridiculed for my Floyd hate last year, but everything about his numbers showed he'd really struggle this year. He led the league in unearned runs, which can be a scary stat.

Come on, he pitched a little lucky in the first half and a bit unlucky in the 2nd half and he definately passed the eye ball test (ie, he looked good). Even this year, he's looked good at times and awful at other times, but the biggest thing is just a better more agressive gameplan, imo, where he attacks the hitter more and obviously shows better command.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
Is there a Strasbourg equivalent next year?

He's the best to come along in 30 years of the draft so I'm going to say no. And with prep guys its just hard to say where they'll be cause they are just so damn young.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
Nothing I've heard of, but I'll do some research. What day is the draft this year again?

Remember, Strausburg wasn't even Strausburg at this time last year. First round pick, top 5 pick, yes, but this freaking good, no.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2009 -> 01:38 AM)
Remember, Strausburg wasn't even Strausburg at this time last year. First round pick, top 5 pick, yes, but this freaking good, no.

You sure? He was all-world with regards to hype. He did make the Olympic team (not that I have to tell you). I wish I would have watched that game if it was on.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
Went to do something else when it was 3-0, now it's 8-1. What happened to Danks? Not only does our hitting suck, but our pitching sucks too. WTF.

Wasn't fooling anyone. Toronto's 4th inning was one of the most impressive offensive innings I've seen.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 16, 2009 -> 01:57 AM)
Still hard to believe this team is still only 3 games out (when this game is over probably and Clev. wins) of first place. God the AL Central sucks.

Twins are playing some real good baseball. Who would have thought that getting a future HOF back into the lineup would help them win?

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 16, 2009 -> 01:14 AM)
Quentin is 0-4. I didn't expect him to keep up the pace as last year, but damn, this is bad. His avg is falling fast.

It's hard to hit when you try to pull everything! Not only that, the league knows that if they throw something a little off the plate and/or offspeed, you can get an easy out on the first pitch.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
You sure? He was all-world with regards to hype. He did make the Olympic team (not that I have to tell you). I wish I would have watched that game if it was on.

He was thought of as a #1 pick but 50 million dollar demands weren't around at that time. He got even better in the last year.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
Quentin is 0-4. I didn't expect him to keep up the pace as last year, but damn, this is bad. His avg is falling fast.

Pitchers and scouts have found out how to get Quentin out, fastballs inside and breaking stuff low and away. It's time for Q to make some more adjustments.

It also doesn't help that right now he's trying to pull everything.

Wow, we hit two homers and still got blown out. Usually we win when we hit some deep ones. Danks gets lit up ... this team is scary bad right now.

If we win a game this series, I'll be very surprised.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Offensively, yeah. His name is Bryce Harper

Too bad our record won't be dismal enough to even dream about it.

I don't want to draw out this argument again of hoping this team loses for the possibility of a higher draft pick (that admittingly may never amount to anything), but honestly, if we're destined to not make the playoffs this season does it matter whether we finish in last, or third with an 80-82 record? 2008 showed how quickly the team can bounce back.

Anyways, if Beckham amounts to anything of value for us then we'll be thanking the embarrassment provided from that past team. Sure enough, if you were to go back in Soxtalk's archives you'd find people saying "I want the team to win every game possible!" "I'm a real fan!" Really, looking back two seasons, did it matter whether they had 72 wins and missed the playoffs or won 85 and missed it as well? It shouldn't now.

I'll say this much about this entire issue. Yes, they're still within distance of the division. And yes, it's still early. I'm not going to push this purposely -lose- for- Bryce angle yet, but come July if we're in a similar position as 2007, I'll be all for it.

Wouldn't it be something if Washington finishes last again, drafts Bryce, and have him and Strasburg as two generational talents on one team? It's probably the most likely scenario, too.

Anyways, if Beckham amounts to anything of value for us then we'll be thanking the embarrassment provided from that past team. Sure enough, if you were to go back in Soxtalk's archives you'd find people saying "I want the team to win every game possible!" "I'm a real fan!" Really, looking back two seasons, did it matter whether they had 72 wins and missed the playoffs or won 85 and missed it as well? It shouldn't now.

Since you brought it up, I'll bite. I want to win as many games as possible. I don't like to see my team lose. Period. Yes I would rather win meaningless games in September and August than lose them in hopes of lightning in a great draft pick bottle. There are no guarantees in the draft. If I had season tickets and went to a batch of games, I'd be royally pissed if the Sox were pissing away games in the hope of improving the draft stock several spots. I'm not saying "I'm a real fan!" I'm saying personally I want to win every f***ing game. Sorry.