The 5 Steps of Soxtalk's grief status

knightni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

1) Denial:

Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of situations and individuals that will be left behind after death. [1]

Example - "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."

2) Anger:

Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Any individual that symbolizes life or energy is subject to projected resentment and jealousy. [1]

Example - "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; "Who is to blame?"

3) Bargaining:

The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay death. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Psychologically, the person is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just have more time..." [1]

Example - "Just let me live to see my children graduate."; "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if..."

4) Depression:

During the fourth stage, the dying person begins to understand the certainty of death. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the dying person to disconnect themself from things of love and affection. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer an individual up that is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed. [1]

Example - "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die . . . What's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"

5) Acceptance:

This final stage comes with peace and understanding of the death that is approaching. Generally, the person in the fifth stage will want to be left alone. Additionally, feelings and physical pain may be non-existent. This stage has also been described as the end of the dying struggle. [1]

Example - "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."

We're already at step 4 and it's only May 15.

I know you didn't mean it that way, but those five stages of somebody dying were really sad. Man, sad stuff.

As far as the Sox ... I just don't feel it. Maybe the team will heat up after the Jays kick our ass all weekend. I can't imagine us winning more than one game this series. Probably will get swept.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 15, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
I'm only mad that I bought the Extra Innings package. That was a really stupid move.

Do you realize how many other good games there are out there? Especially if you're in NY, you can watch baseball from 7 p.m. each night through the end of the night and still there will be games going on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
Do you realize how many other good games there are out there? Especially if you're in NY, you can watch baseball from 7 p.m. each night through the end of the night and still there will be games going on.

I'm actually doing that right now. Just switched from A's-Tigers to Phillies-Nats. Personally, i love this package. It's not just for the WhiteSox, i just love the game of baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)

WHAT!? OTHER GAMES!?

That was fine when I was living alone, but when you have a fiance it tends to eat into my random baseball game watching.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 15, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

We're already at step 4 and it's only May 15.

I was at step 5 long before the season started. The writing has been on the wall for a while now. Our last legitimate shot at a World Series championship ended with that second-half collapse in 2006. Yeah, we pulled a division title out of our asses last year. But anybody could see that was more a case of extreme luck and a couple of considerably more talented teams grossly underachieving. I can think of teams from the 90's and earlier this decade that finished second or third that were better and I definitely enjoyed more than last year's team.

You look up and down this roster and you see guys who's best days are well behind them (Thome, Dye, Konerko, A.J., Contreras, Colon) or guys who flat out have no business either being on the team to begin with or shouldn't be anything more than reserves getting major run (Podsednik, Lillibridge, Wise when healthy) due to an ALARMING lack of organizational depth. A decade of putrid drafting and player development have finally caught up with this franchise. You look all around the league and you see teams drafting, developing and bringing up elite/solid talent. Yes, it seems that were slowly but surely getting better at this. But quite frankly, I'll remain skeptical until guys like Beckham, Allen and Poreda prove it at the major league level, as we've been burned big time by guys like Brian Anderson and Josh Fields (the latter who has been extremely disappointing after a strong start).

I think it was clear before the season started that Kenny and co were looking a lot more at 2010 and beyond. Sure, they'll never admit they were blowing off 2009. And I don't think that's the case either. But it looks to me to be a case of a franchise that's thrown one big band-aid on a team with holes all over the place hoping for the best (I.E. last year).

Im at step 2 and 5 as well.

Step 2- Only because of the way that our young players have started the season. Floyd and Danks have been relatively dissappointing. They are suppose to be the building blocks of rotation for many years to come. Floyd just hasn't caught on yet this season and Danks has been very inconsistent- ranging from very good- to very bad. Alexie Ramirez has been a HUGE dissapointment. What happened to the wirery hitting machine? The pitchers in the league have adjusted to him and he clearly hasn't figured it out. Even Carlos Quentin has been alittle dissappointing. Sure he has 8 homeruns but he has gone a couple of weeks without hitting one and his average is down there compared to last year. These 4 guys really need to step it up if the Sox want any chance in playing in meaningful games in september

Step 5- acceptance. I accept the fact that the Sox are going younger and we might take alittle step back this year just to see what we have as far as future building blocks. So far i love Chris Getz, i think he's going to be our 2b for a very long time! Josh Fields still needs to win me over but that is what this year is about- finding out what we have. Guys like Beckham and Poreda will likely be on the team next year, and there double-a stats are very impressive.

I accepted the fact that Thome, Contreras and Dye will likely leave this year (unless Dye accepts a paycut to remain as our DH). I accepted the fact that Konerko and AJ will likely be gone after 2010. The transistion of this team is obvious, it will be interesting to see if KW can find a CF this year via a trade or if he can sign a guy this offseason.

Can we still the division- of course we can. Our new core simply has to step it up and our offense neeeds to get it going sooner or later or we will be in for a long long summer of white sox baseball ---- *See 2007 Chicago White Sox for a reference to a long summer.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 15, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
As far as the Sox ... I just don't feel it. Maybe the team will heat up after the Jays kick our ass all weekend. I can't imagine us winning more than one game this series. Probably will get swept.

Denial. ;)

During a garbage season it usually works in reverse for me.

I accept it very easily early on and don't really care all that much, but later on it depresses me as I realize how long the season is. The bargaining part is more about trade ideas and draft picks, which is just about the only remotely interesting part of a bad season. I will beg for prospects to be called up instead of playing bad veterans. The anger comes when the team starts winning again but the wins mean nothing. I root for individual performances from young players I like and horrible performances leading to losses by other players I don't want to see anymore. Denial is the last part where I try to remove the entire season from my memory.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 16, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
I'm awaiting the trades of Dye, Jenks and Konerko.

And the promotion of Beckham, Allen, Viciedo, Shelby and assorted others.

Let's have the surgery and get it over with.

Carlos Delgado was just put on the 15-day DL and Jerry Manuel believes he'll be out much longer than that. The Mets are obviously a team built to win right now. If I'm Kenny, I'm dangling Dye and Konerko this very second.

This season is going to seem like it's 300 games long. Every game seems to be deja vu for the offense. I've never seen a team that hits fewer balls hard during a game than the Sox do. How many "stretch" calls have we even had in the last few weeks?

After yesterday's loss I turned on the FOX game between the Mets and Giants. I NEVER watch baseball unless it's the Sox--it bores me. But I seriously just wanted to see what it looked like when a real team plays. Sure enough, i saw hitting, bunting, stealing, some good D, and even--gulp--Rowand (!!!) hit a homer off Santana.

This team reeks even worse than the 2007 team and I expect it to be like that year. You always know it was a crap year when they re-do the game-opening montage at the Cell every year and there's... no highlights from the previous season (save for Buehrle's no-hitter).

I couldn't agree more with the poster who said he'd rather watch the no-name youngsters than bad veterans.

But at this point I'd rather watch a rebuilding team struggle than a worn-out one decaying.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 17, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
This team reeks even worse than the 2007 team and I expect it to be like that year.

Ha! No.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 17, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
You always know it was a crap year when they re-do the game-opening montage at the Cell every year and there's... no highlights from the previous season (save for Buehrle's no-hitter).

Thome's 500th HR was in 2007.