May 17, 2009 game thread Sox @ Toronto 12:07 first pitch

I would just like to know where our pitching is going to come from for the next 3-4 years. Buehrle and Danks are pretty good, but what comes after that? We can't give up on Floyd, but it's obvious even if he bounces back, he can't really be pencilled-in as a consitent #3.

Oh well, I guess I should thank the Sox for providing me with a stress-free summer.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Baines3 @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
I know it's only May but there has to be some changes on this team. I'd start with getting rid of Greg Walker.

Agreed...something isn't working. I think the change should come with a new manager that pays attention to more of the little things, but that's not going to happen.

I know it's only May but there has to be some changes on this team. I'd start with getting rid of Greg Walker.

There usually does need to be a scapegoat. If we suck vs. the Twins and Pirates at home and are 10 below .500 or something, most baseball teams would probably find a scapegoat somewhere. Usually it's the skipper but like somebody pointed out, Oz's resume looks to be too good to make him that.

I personally would settle for a new Bench Coach. Ozzie ain't going anywhere, but Cora seems like Ozzie lite to me. I don't think there's much of a difference of opinion between the two. I think we need someone in there with a bit of a different perspective and point of view. I don't want someone who is going to butt heads with Ozzie, but someone who isn't going to agree with every thing he does.

You know you have a s***ty team when you assume you will get swept in a four game series. I think most of us figured this would happen. Something's gotta change. They better win five of six or all six on the homestand after this sweep, cause the Angles will sweep their ass.

I don't know what it is like in practice, before the game, or after, but during the game Walker is sitting there on the bench with his hands in his pockets. When I watch otehr games, hitting coaches are always talking to players, or sometimes in teh clubhouse working with guys and watching tape during the game.

It may be him or may not be him, someone is gotta be the fall guy and it is never the players.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
Paulie really fixed what was ailing him. If KW trades him soon, I hope he robs some team. We need help and Paulie looks like he's got it figured out this year.

I understand the Paulie, Dye and Jenks have value that other teams might want, but here we are talking of trading our players who produce and keeping the ones that suck. I guess if we just want to suck ok trade our best away and hope for the best return possible, but I haven't seen it or believe we will

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 17, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
i don't think any of this has much to do with coaches. Any firings would be raw meat thrown to the angry masses. Like Konerko said, people need to look in the mirror.

Trade the player who doesn't make excuses. We can't afford to lose a guy like Konerko. We have talent and PK is right-those guys need to look at themselves and do what needs to be done to correct it

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
Trade the player who doesn't make excuses. We can't afford to lose a guy like Konerko. We have talent and PK is right-those guys need to look at themselves and do what needs to be done to correct it

Yes, we can afford to lose a guy like Konerko. You trade players you can actually get some value for.

Thing is, if Walker works as hard as Oz says, working all day with these guys, he's probably pretty well liked by all. It might be tough to axe him as the fall guy.

You are right, the players never get blamed.

The best thing I guess now is reinsert Anderson and play him every game once he's back.

I don't know what they can do with so many players strugglng at the plate.

I'd be tempted to say send Alexeii and Floyd down a month, but Nix, Gets, Fields, Lilly et. all are so bad.

I hate to say there may be no solutions except firing Oz for shock value and that won't happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Yes, we can afford to lose a guy like Konerko. You trade players you can actually get some value for.

I can't agree my friend. I know what you are saying, but I think there are other moves that can be made without losing our best

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
I can't agree my friend. I know what you are saying, but I think there are other moves that can be made without losing our best

The first player I'd trade is Dye, as he would probably get you more than Konerko. With Konerko, we'd have to pay some of his salary.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)

I disagree. I think all teams need veteran leadership, and if we decide to trade away all of Dye, Konerko, etc. and just go into next year with basically our double A lineup, you're setting yourself up for a huge disaster.

I think you gotta choose between Dye and Konerko and which one of the two you would rather keep for the next couple of years while the young guys develop. And I think the easy choice would be Konerko. He's the "captain", doesn't make excuses for anyone, and is just an overall solid player.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
Nix has done nothing but have solid ABs all year. Ozzie keeps saying that's what he wants to see at the plate, but then he doesn't start Nix for a few games and keeps playing others who are having terrible ABs.

He either doesn't have much to work with or is just stubborn. Which one? Actually it could be both I guess