May 17, 2009 game thread Sox @ Toronto 12:07 first pitch

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
I disagree. I think all teams need veteran leadership, and if we decide to trade away all of Dye, Konerko, etc. and just go into next year with basically our double A lineup, you're setting yourself up for a huge disaster.

I think you gotta choose between Dye and Konerko and which one of the two you would rather keep for the next couple of years while the young guys develop. And I think the easy choice would be Konerko. He's the "captain", doesn't make excuses for anyone, and is just an overall solid player.

He's also making more money than he's worth. Screw the leadership stuff....that should start with Ozzie. Part of the problem might be that the veterans aren't exactly vocal leaders.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
The first player I'd trade is Dye, as he would probably get you more than Konerko. With Konerko, we'd have to pay some of his salary.

Lets hope Colon keeps up what he's been doing into July. Could be a very handy trade piece to a contending team that needs cheap veteran pitching. Wouldn't expect a ton for him, but a good young prospect would be a coop for what we got him for.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
I disagree. I think all teams need veteran leadership, and if we decide to trade away all of Dye, Konerko, etc. and just go into next year with basically our double A lineup, you're setting yourself up for a huge disaster.

I think you gotta choose between Dye and Konerko and which one of the two you would rather keep for the next couple of years while the young guys develop. And I think the easy choice would be Konerko. He's the "captain", doesn't make excuses for anyone, and is just an overall solid player.

The easy choice would be to DH Dye, but I don't know if he'll return if he thinks we're rebuilding. It's more likely he signs with Texas to DH for them.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
The first player I'd trade is Dye, as he would probably get you more than Konerko. With Konerko, we'd have to pay some of his salary.

For sure an argument can be made either way for both those guys. I would hate to lose either JD or PK. The players with the production problem are the ones to blame. Ramirez is horrible, Fields suck, Lillibridge should be at AA, Contreras et al in the pitching corp, Betemit hasn't show me a thing

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
He's also making more money than he's worth. Screw the leadership stuff....that should start with Ozzie. Part of the problem might be that the veterans aren't exactly vocal leaders.

I remember when we thought the 12 million a year for him was a steal. Considering we will be getting rid of a lot of big contracts in the offseason and not spend a lot, we could afford to overpay him one more season. Also, like you said, trading Konerko would likely require giving up some doe to get maximum value for him, and you should know that KW never includes money in a trade, unless that money is coming to us.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)

Players have to show leadership also and that's just as important if not more so than the manager. One of the worse mamangers I saw though was Bevington.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
When you start b****ing about the official scorer, you have officially run out of things to complain about.

It was a valid complaint. There is no way mcdonald gets podsednik at first that deep in the hole.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
The easy choice would be to DH Dye, but I don't know if he'll return if he thinks we're rebuilding. It's more likely he signs with Texas to DH for them.

I'm just hoping we could trade him to either Texas, Cincinnati, or somewhere at the deadline for a good pitching prospect.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
I remember when we thought the 12 million a year for him was a steal. Considering we will be getting rid of a lot of big contracts in the offseason and not spend a lot, we could afford to overpay him one more season. Also, like you said, trading Konerko would likely require giving up some doe to get maximum value for him, and you should know that KW never includes money in a trade, unless that money is coming to us.

What's the point of having Konerko on the roster if we're going to rebuild? You can't be afraid to lose if you're going to try and rebuild for a few seasons.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
It's definitely time to get Nix 5 starts a week and see what he can do. Another non-competitive game for the White Sox.

Agreed. It should be easy to get him playing time with how all of Fields, Getz, and Ramirez are playing.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
Agreed. It should be easy to get him playing time with how all of Fields, Getz, and Ramirez are playing.

I would like to see Nix starting at 3B or SS. Bench Fields and/or Ramirez

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
What's the point of having Konerko on the roster if we're going to rebuild? You can't be afraid to lose if you're going to try and rebuild for a few seasons.

My belief system is that even when you rebuild, you need solid veteran leadership around the team as well. Having the whole AA team up is just a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Also, I doubt we ever see KW go into a rebuilding mode, but rather a retooling. I could see Thome being brought back for around 5 million and maybe a FA signing like Chone Figgins. We'll have a lot of young players on the team, but we'll have a solid mix of vets at least.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
Its times like these I wish Nick Swisher was around to do a CRAzzZY dugout dance to lighten up everyone and change the mood within the team. That'd switch around their fortunes.

Could you imagine letting our pitchers be responsible for protecting the blow-up dolls in the locker room? They'd be stolen without the pitchers even trying to prevent the theft from happening.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
I would like to see Nix starting at 3B or SS. Bench Fields and/or Ramirez

I'm all for demoting Fields (if he has options, which I doubt since he's been with the big league club for parts of 4 seasons now) right now, and pretty much going with Nix and Betemit at 3B. You could also call up Andy Phillips who has been somewhat decent in his cup of coffees in the majors, and does nothing but mash in AAA.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 17, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Its times like these I wish Nick Swisher was around to do a CRAzzZY dugout dance to lighten up everyone and change the mood within the team. That'd switch around their fortunes.

I think everyone misses the "I struck out 3 times today!" dance.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
for what it is worth...the texas rangers fans are going nuts over this team! cant wait to see hamilton back iin the lineup.

I dont follow

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
I think everyone misses the "I struck out 3 times today!" dance.

And it all started with the stomp back to the dugout. Oh he was so caaaaaarazy