May 17, 2009 game thread Sox @ Toronto 12:07 first pitch

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
He's the same as he was when everyone was making a big deal out of him, except he's not hitting all the homers. He really had never hit homers at that pace previously in the minors and he probably will hit homers more frequently than he has this season, but his performance is really not shockingly worse than before.

The thing that frustates me is we acquired Betemit to fill in for Fields against tough righties, especially when Fields was struggling. Now, we are in that same exact situation, and Betemit doesn't get playing time because of his poor defense. The question is: where in the hell is the scouting of Betemit that should have been done to show he's a bad defensive player? Must have been the same scout who said Swisher and OC would be amazing clubhouse people.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 17, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
I've come to the conclusion that the guy just isn't a baseball player. He's got the tools, but lacks instincts and baseball know-how.

I'm leary of football players playing baseball. Most don't turn into the players they were advertised.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
That was an awesome Curve Gavin threw to Lind to get the whiff. 2 quick outs now as Rolen flies out to CF. I just want to see Gavin get command of the curve he can throw for a strike early in the count.

Gavin's curve has still been dominant this year. He really should throw it any time he gets 2 strikes on the hitter. If the hitter does damage on it, good for them.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
The thing that frustates me is we acquired Betemit to fill in for Fields against tough righties, especially when Fields was struggling. Now, we are in that same exact situation, and Betemit doesn't get playing time because of his poor defense. The question is: where in the hell is the scouting of Betemit that should have been done to show he's a bad defensive player? Must have been the same scout who said Swisher and OC would be amazing clubhouse people.

Betemit plays against tough lefties. I really don't understand why they even bother with him on the roster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
Betemit plays against tough lefties. I really don't understand why they even bother with him on the roster.

Would have been better bringing back Brad Eldred.

Hawk is getting really frustrated with Getz. You can tell he doesn't like him right now, as he got on him about a fly out to the warning track.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
Gavin's curve has still been dominant this year. He really should throw it any time he gets 2 strikes on the hitter. If the hitter does damage on it, good for them.

Ya, his big hook has been nice, its the one he throws for a first pitch strike thats been non-existent.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 17, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
So if we had to blow this team up and keep only 2-3 players, it'd be hard for me to convince myself on any of them.

Quentin, Danks, and Thornton (assuming you trade Jenks)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I'm leary of football players playing baseball. Most don't turn into the players they were advertised.

I think they get drafted higher than they should because of how good of athletes they are.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)

And to think I made the guy my PTC for today. Can it get worse?

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ May 17, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
is there any doubt that the toronto blue jays are the best team in baseball? and led of course by a nasty ass young pitching staff. with pesky outs? i hate to say it but this team is for real.

They are definately a legitimate team.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ May 17, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
is there any doubt that the toronto blue jays are the best team in baseball? and led of course by a nasty ass young pitching staff. with pesky outs? i hate to say it but this team is for real.

They are pretty darn good that's for sure

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Hawk needs to shut the f*** up. I love Getzy. Oooh and I'm a dumbass, I just remembered I had paused my Sox game at the beginning and that was why my feed was so behind.

Getz is going to find himself in the utility role pretty soon if he doesn't get it going. With them keeping Alexei at SS, you'd have to think they'll put Beckham at 2nd base if they're still down on Getz. I can see Nix getting a ton of ABs at 2nd base as the season goes on.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)
Getz is a rookie. Rookies struggle.

Completely agree, and he should get the whole season to show what he can do. However, you know better than anyone that Hawk's the spokesman for the organization, and he's been all over Getz.