May 17, 2009 game thread Sox @ Toronto 12:07 first pitch

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
And that's the Gavin we've learned to hate. Grooves the first pitch fastball to a lefty.

Just checked in to see the score and what's happening. Saw that the Jays had gone up 4-2, and my first thought was: "I'm sure that Floyd gave up a bomb to some lefty hitter." Sad to say, he's just entirely too predictable right now. He's flat-out awful.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
You sure? I thought he's a junior.

This article, written in March of 09, lists him as a Sophomore:

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools/baseb...10/teen_bopper/

And his perfect game page lists him as a 2011 prospect:

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerp...e.aspx?ID=56125

And I might be a cynic, but I think the kid has been put on HGH. In pictures of him from last year, he already looked older than I do now, and I'm graduating from high school in a week. Also, hitting 500+ foot homers when he's just 15?

Either this kid is Roy Hobbs in real life or had some extra help (wouldn't surprise me if it was forced on him by his Dad).

Is anyone totally surprised by Gavin Floyd's suckiness this year though? I'm surprised he's been this bad, but odds were last year was mainly a career year in which he faced the AL for the first time. Second time around the league, and now Floyd is getting rocked.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Guess we won't be giving extension to pitchers after 1 good year.

Last year was such a fluke for Gavin.

This game has been extremely disturbing, as it's not Floyd's control that is doing him in (with regards to walks). The league seems to have figured him out (as they did towards the end of last year).

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 17, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
Why is Gavin Floyd so bad?

Absolutely no command of his fastball. He struggles to throw it for a strike, and when he does, he is wild in the zone. Not only that, but his inability to throw a curve ball prior to have 2 strikes has really hurt him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 17, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
Why is Gavin Floyd so bad?

My theory is that he just quite frankly isn't that good. He's never had great command, it's much of a "pitcher", and he only has 1 plus pitch, his curve. Granted it's a really good pitch, you can't rely on it all the time. He did good last year because that was his first time throughout the AL, but hitters have now adjusted and figured him out.