5/17 Games

flavum

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 18, 2009 -> 03:21 AM)
B. Allen's improvment.

08' in Birmingham - GP-41 AB-153 H-42 2B-6 3B-2 HR-14 RBI-31 BB-19 SO-41 AVG-.275 OBP-.358 SLG-.614 OPS-.973

09' in Birmingham - GP-36 AB-140 H-42 2B-7 3B-3 HR-6 RBI-26 BB-15 SO-23 AVG-.300 OBP-.369 SLG-.521 OPS-.891

The man has come a looooongz way since being drafted though his power last year is still sick to look at. He has really become a stellar prospect.

You highlighted the power drop-off, but look at what has improved - OBP and AVG up significantly, and his K rate is nearly halved.

And 6 HR in 140 AB is still pretty darn good, in a park known for being difficult to hit them in.

I'm loving the reduced strikeout rate. You expand that to 600 AB's, he's on pace to K less than a 100 times, which shows huge improvement. His walk rate is about the same as last year though, but will hopefully increase.

As for power numbers, he's on pace to hit 25 homers, which ain't too shabby in a pitchers park.

I'm not sure about 2010 for Allen, but 2011, we could see him up on the southside as the full time DH by then (I've heard he's not much of a defender).

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
I'm loving the reduced strikeout rate. You expand that to 600 AB's, he's on pace to K less than a 100 times, which shows huge improvement. His walk rate is about the same as last year though, but will hopefully increase.

As for power numbers, he's on pace to hit 25 homers, which ain't too shabby in a pitchers park.

I'm not sure about 2010 for Allen, but 2011, we could see him up on the southside as the full time DH by then (I've heard he's not much of a defender).

I've only seen him play a little bit, and read a little more, but I think Allen is a pretty good 1B, and has surprising speed and quickness. I think Konerko's defense tends to be underrated, so if Allen does come up for that job, we may all suddenly realize how good PK was there overall. But at the very least, I'd think Allen has better range and athleticism.

You highlighted the power drop-off

No, I only highlighted the power from 08' cause that was just a sick rate of homers he was hitting. Probably a bit of a fluke, but was worth noting. I wouldn't make a point on improving if I was downing a stat. Makes no sense.

From what I've been told, he's better than Konerko already in range. But his footwork needs work and also basic fundamentals. (I.E. scooping balls out of dirt, perhaps stretching to get the out, etc.) His athleticism as a first baseman (or in general) is off the charts though.