Thats it, I'm sick and tired of this s***

Chisoxfn

The Sox are in a sticky situation. They raised my season ticket price 10% this past offseason. If 2007 and 2009 are both cublike futility, I am walking. They screwed us over last offseason with the playoff deposit.

If they sell guys to save money they better give it back to me....I know they won't.

The Ray Durham deals don't cut it. You go down with these guys or you get guys that are going to contribute to a greater degree than the Lillbridges and Jon Adkins the world.

This isthe slope Kenny Williams has made for himself.

What needs to happen right now.....

Send down Fields, Getz and Lillibridge.

Bring up Phillips, Anderson and give any infielder in the minors a shot who may be able to not strike out and can hit mediocore pitching. s*** trade for Ozuna or Willie Harris.

KW got himself into a world of s***.

Then reassign Greg Walker

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
The sooner the rebuilding, the better.

f*** arbitration clocks, that is bush league

Exactly, if a hitter gets 2 hits in a game or a pitcher strikes someone out, we'll offer a 4 yr, 16 mil contract.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Here's the thing...the Sox obviously don't have a tendency of having players come up from their minors and contribute right away. If you're counting on Beckham, Poreda, Allen next year, it's probably going to be a trying season.

It all depends on in what capacity your counting on them. I'm not asking any of them to be stars, rather solid players. I expect the Sox to hit FA to fill at least two positional needs, one relief need, and one rotational need and with 30 or so mill to play and in this economy they should be able to do that.

Another name that I left out is AJ. I don't know if he'd have enough value to make it worthwile or not to trade him, but I kind of like keeping him around as he's a firey guy and I think would be good to have around the younger players.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
Oh, I wasn't really saying they would, and your right, Wilson is legit, but thats the type of package that might just work. Like I said, I see Jenks as valuable to the Sox the next 3 years so I want a good offer to get rid of him. Angels don't really have the prospects, otherwise they'd be legit. Royals got lots of guys to like, but I don't know if they'd go for Jenks. I know they have a solid closer but it would be a major f***ing statement move by them. Drays are always an option.

Maybe the best bet would be if Mariano Rivera got injured. Of course, there's a team in Chicago that could desperately need a closer if they want to keep Marmol in the 8th inning.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Another name that I left out is AJ. I don't know if he'd have enough value to make it worthwile or not to trade him, but I kind of like keeping him around as he's a firey guy and I think would be good to have around the younger players.

Yeah, keep AJP around, as Flowers isn't ready. We have got to do better with our back-up catcher than we have been. It's definitely been a weak link on this team for a while now.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 18, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
The Sox are in a sticky situation. They raised my season ticket price 10% this past offseason. If 2007 and 2009 are both cublike futility, I am walking. They screwed us over last offseason with the playoff deposit.

If they sell guys to save money they better give it back to me....I know they won't.

The Ray Durham deals don't cut it. You go down with these guys or you get guys that are going to contribute to a greater degree than the Lillbridges and Jon Adkins the world.

Bring up Phillips, Anderson and give any infielder in the minors a shot who may be able to not strike out and can hit mediocore pitching. s*** trade for Ozuna or Willie Harris.

Field is just starting to figure it out, and Getz is doing pretty well - not sure why you'd send those two down.

And if you bring up someone from AAA as a hitter than isn't Anderson, I'd rather go with Kroeger than Phillips.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 18, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)

He did hit a home in his first major league at-bat after all...

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Maybe the best bet would be if Mariano Rivera got injured. Of course, there's a team in Chicago that could desperately need a closer if they want to keep Marmol in the 8th inning.

They also have some intriguing names. For example, I'd take my chances on Vitters, only problem being the Sox have a ton of 3rd base prospects already.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
They also have some intriguing names. For example, I'd take my chances on Vitters, only problem being the Sox have a ton of 3rd base prospects already.

No no, don't trade with the Cubs. Their players are so overrated. Also, I think I might have a stroke if I see one of my favorite Sox players of all time closing out a World Series for them (no, I'm not talking about Neal Cotts).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
No no, don't trade with the Cubs. Their players are so overrated. Also, I think I might have a stroke if I see one of my favorite Sox players of all time closing out a World Series for them (no, I'm not talking about Neal Cotts).

I don't know i think Vitters will be a stud, probably not for the cubs though.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)

I highly doubt the sox/cubs would make a deal, but for the right package, I'd always consider a trade. The problem is both teams feel they'd have the need to rob the other team blindly and thats why a deal would never go down.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Field is just starting to figure it out, and Getz is doing pretty well - not sure why you'd send those two down.

And if you bring up someone from AAA as a hitter than isn't Anderson, I'd rather go with Kroeger than Phillips.

Fields and Getz do not appear to figuring anything out. I liked them both as players but they started nicely and have regressed to a point where they are adding nothing to this team along with Lillibridge. Phillips can play third that is why I mentioned him.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 18, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Fields and Getz do not appear to figuring anything out. I liked them both as players but they started nicely and have regressed to a point where they are adding nothing to this team along with Lillibridge. Phillips can play third that is why I mentioned him.

I'll just have to very much disagree with you here. I think Getz and Fields are doing about what you'd expect them to do at this point, maybe a little under for Fields. Alexei Ramirez at this point last year was worse than Fields or Getz are right now.

There is plenty to be frustrated about with this team, but it makes no sense to replace either of those guys today. A month or two from now, if the team is still terrible, that might be another story.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)

You'd be writing off Getz based on like his last 24 at bats or so. That seems very very ridiculous. Especially since its his first cup of coffee and it should be expected that he struggle and go through a period where he needs to make an adjustment. Defensviely he's fine and he's even had to go through injuries and being a leadoff hitter on a supposed contender so all in all I think he deserves at least half a season before any sort of judgement should be made.

I don't see us trading Thome as I don't see many teams wanting him, and doesn't he also have no trade clause? In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see us to sign Thome cheap next year at around 5 million. I don't know if the organization would think Allen would be ready to step in at either 1B/DH. As for Konerko, unless some team is willing to take on all 12 million dollars for him and offers a great deal for him, you keep him. He and Buehrle are the faces of the franchise.

Beckham will be playing either SS, 3B, or 2B for us come next year, IMO. You have to give Alexei every chance to succeed with all the upside he potentially provides us. Hopefully he pans out. 3B depends on if Fields progresses at all (I doubt this, and would not be surprised to Fields in Charlotte next year or on some other team) and if Viciedo can stick at 3B. Right now, I think the hope is that Viciedo shows enough potential and tools to play 3B next year. At 2B, you got Getz who is solid but unspectacular, and Nix, who looks like a really solid ball player. I think we'll see Beckham at 2B. Nix could stay on at defense replacement and backup infielder. Getz, could maybe stay on as a utility player, but it depends on how the roster shapes out. If you have to choose between Nix and Getz, I think Nix is the easy choice.

For the OF, Dye makes almost too much sense to trade, IMO. Hopefully his bat heats up, and come July, we can get a real good deal for him. I could see the Reds still being possible suitors as they seem to really like Dye, and if they are still only around 5 games out or so, they could use his right handed bat in the lineup between Votto and Bruce. Someone else mentioned the Red Sox, and they could make sense as well. They were really interested in him in 07, and they could use him in the same role. If we could get one of their several good young pitchers, that'd be great. Maybe the Rangers as well, as Blalock and Davis have had their struggles this year, and I'm willing to bet that one of Cruz/Byrd/Jones is gonna fizzle out.

After you trade Dye, you move Quentin to RF. His arm isn't as strong as Dye's, but he's much better fundamentally and sets up a lot better, provides a lot more range, and it is his natural spot. He'll be good there. CF, Anderson is a decent option for the rest of the year. I'm not big on him, but might as well see what he could do. Wouldn't surprise me to see Figgins in CF come next year. Podsednik has surprised me with his bat early on, but his D leaves much to be desired. Maybe a fill in option in LF if there is no one better for this year, but hopefully this spot is filled via trade or free agency next year. I wouldn't mind signing someone like Ankiel and having him play either CF or LF.

As for the rotation, the only trade piece is Colon. We might get a decent spect for him if he keeps this season up. I personally would fill the final spot for this season with Broadway. Yeah, very blah, but he's been decent every opportunity he has had. Also, I think Broadway could make it as a decent no. 5. He doesn't have much of a fastball, but he's got some good secondary stuff, but his problem has been command. As for next year, I doubt we sign anyone as all the decent pitchers should get good sized contracts from teams willing to overpay for decent pitching. It probably won't be improved much.

I'd try and trade Dotel to a team that needs help in the pen. Could probably get a decent spect for him. I'd definitely be willing to trade Jenks. You get something even close to what Ugerith Urbina got the rangers, and you take it. I agree with you, quietly put him out there. With got some good options in the minors, so we could get by with Thornton and Linebrink. Put Poreda in the pen as well and go from there with him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Giants wouldn't do that...they have their closer in Brian Wilson (as long as he's not facing Mets). Not really sure what big time teams need a closer right now.

I'm thinking the Blue Jays might be willing to get someone like Jenks. Ryan is practically done and has nothing left. And I don't think Downs is their ideal closer.

Yankees are looking for Rivera's replacement.

Rays could probably use a closer as well. That's three teams in the east, so we could maybe start a bidding war between them.

If the Angels pick up their play and get back into contention, they would be interested.

Does St. Louis have a closer right now?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
You'd be writing off Getz based on like his last 24 at bats or so. That seems very very ridiculous. Especially since its his first cup of coffee and it should be expected that he struggle and go through a period where he needs to make an adjustment. Defensviely he's fine and he's even had to go through injuries and being a leadoff hitter on a supposed contender so all in all I think he deserves at least half a season before any sort of judgement should be made.

I am not writing either off I would just rather see them sent down to at least change something up and see if things can change. Nix will be hurt within a week and Getz can come back then.

Both players are hitting under .240 and are striking out at must greater clips than they are drawing walks.

Everyone also needs to realize that the Rangers and Blue Jays are probably the two best teams in baseball right now....is that becasue they played the Sox.....who knows.

I would love for the Sox to trade Jenks (assuming things stay like they are). Closers are always overvalued, and I don't think the Sox miss too much of a beat with Thornton in that spot. They could get a haul for him too. One team that could be interested is Philadelphia, who have intriguing arms in Carrasco and Drabek.

Obviously Dye, Thome, and Konerko are trade canidates, and I wouldn't mind seeing AJ gone either should the Sox be able to get a decent package.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 18, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Seriously though,how refreshing would it be for KW to do a complete overhaul and go baby young for the rest of this year? And then make some noise in the off season with a couple signings.

I'm just afraid if they dump this year (which the fact that they're only 5.5 out after these 2 weeks makes me think nobody is going to run away with this division) and go young and attendance goes down, the Sox will come in with a ridiculously low payroll and point to the attendance.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 18, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
I'm just afraid if they dump this year (which the fact that they're only 5.5 out after these 2 weeks makes me think nobody is going to run away with this division) and go young and attendance goes down, the Sox will come in with a ridiculously low payroll and point to the attendance.

There's just as good of a chance as a low payroll if we got 78-84.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 18, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)

I actually think if we were to just punt the second half of the year and play most of the young kids, we'd been in a pretty good position for next year. Then again, if one of the kid's is lacking, all we'll hear is moaning about rushed and stunted development. The point is not bringing up the kids in a lost year to compete; it's to get them accumulated

I love Jim Thome. But he's worthless. You won't get a bag of balls for him in a trade. Dye has some value, but not much. Konerko - same thing.

The problem is, the old guys on this team have very little trade value - which leaves, what? The guys that are worthless (Lillibridge, DWise, etc.).

Getz will probably figure out some things. Anderson? Maybe. Fields? Maybe, but I'm starting to doubt him.

Rotation is "ok" but has no depth.

The problem is, as someone else stated, is the s*** drafts we have had in the last 10 years. There's nothing coming up to change a thing about this club, and you can't go sign older guys (Figgins, Roberts, whoever else the names are bantered about here for the last 3-5 years) and be a true WS contender.

I need to wait at least two more weeks before throwing in the towel, but I'm close, especially because there are so many shortcomings on this team - even playing fundamental baseball seems out of reach. If this division wasn't so weak it would be much easier to concede now, as most seem to be doing. I'm not blaming you, but it just seems too early. And if Danks and Floyd can stop getting behind in the count, they will be much improved. Add Colon and Richard...things could get interesting. We still have a pretty solid pen.

Like i said in the game thread I'm waiting till June 1st also.

Give me a lineup with Getz, Fields, TCQ, Dye, Konerko, Thome, AJ, Ramirez and Anderson, (not necessarily in this order) and see what they can do.

If Fields can't figure it out, plug in Betemit, hes getting 1 MIL ridding pine.. If Alexei or Getz can't figure it out plug in Nix, send down Lillibridge, keep Podsednik.

Keep Richard in the 5th spot, don't touch the bullpen, give me 12 games with that squad and if they can't figure out ways to WIN games you can BLOW.THIS.TEAM.UP