Pure Spectulation

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
We have thirty or fourty million coming off of the books, this signing would still lead to a decrease in total payroll year over year... Why is that so complex?

And please quote where I said that.

Everytime I b****ed about the payroll going down and prices going up, and mentioned all the money coming off the books after this season, you came back with all the lost sponsor money, how the Sox spending money could destroy the franchise etc. Now some 14 year old comes up with a false rumor and you now agree with me there is plenty of room for additional payroll. Amazing.

At least now you think the White Sox haven't spent every dime that comes in, and when this rumor turns out to be false, you will post some more about adding some payroll.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time believing this rumor but sure hope its true. Supposedly the guy who started it on that board broke the Garland/Cabrera deal so here's to hoping!

If Slayer is anyway involved I will not like this. I'm high on Flowers too (though that could be interesting as far as the deep draft in catchers) but for that "PTBNL" that scares me.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:56 AM)
If Slayer is anyway involved I will not like this. I'm high on Flowers too (though that could be interesting as far as the deep draft in catchers) but for that "PTBNL" that scares me.

I'd be fine if Flowers is the PTBNL, but no way in hell you trade Beckham. In all honesty, I would love it, as it should give you 4 starters guaranteed for the next few season. Poreda is much more valuable to the Sox as a trade chip than as an actual pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)

Agreed if its Beckham then no I wouldn't be high on this but Flowers sure no problem there.

Id be really hesitant to include Danks2, Beckham, or Hudson, with Beckham being the dealbreaker. He cant be in it. Not in my mind.

I really like Danks and Hudson though, Im just so excited about them. But then again maybe I am just because I havent had anything to really be excited about before from our system.

Agreed about Poreda being a better trade chip then an actual prospect.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
Everytime I b****ed about the payroll going down and prices going up, and mentioned all the money coming off the books after this season, you came back with all the lost sponsor money, how the Sox spending money could destroy the franchise etc. Now some 14 year old comes up with a false rumor and you now agree with me there is plenty of room for additional payroll. Amazing.

At least now you think the White Sox haven't spent every dime that comes in, and when this rumor turns out to be false, you will post some more about adding some payroll.

I'll keep this really simple

100-40+20

Long term the Sox would still be cutting payroll.

Not to mention this rumor has been reported as being legitimate out of the San Diego clubhouse of all places, so maybe you need to find yourself a 14 year old for a source, because this one seems on to something.

Not to mention that Jerry has always been open to adding a player who is special. They did the same thing with Torii Hunter a few years back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
I'll keep this really simple

100-40+20

Long term the Sox would still be cutting payroll.

Not to mention this rumor has been reported as being legitimate out of the San Diego clubhouse of all places, so maybe you need to find yourself a 14 year old for a source, because this one seems on to something.

Not to mention that Jerry has always been open to adding a player who is special. They did the same thing with Torii Hunter a few years back.

I'll make this even simpler.

When I used the same math you just used, you basically told me I was an idiot. Funny you also used the Phoenix Coyotes, a team 72 year old JR is now linked to.

When I questioned the payroll you responded with this:

You are reading waaaaaaay too deeply into that statement and turning it into a 100% truism. I never said they completely abandoned common sense. It would be really stupid to add payroll to the point where you know you are going to have a loss in total revenues. As I said when you pulled out that tired Fukodome/Hunter arguement before, times have changed. Just because the team was willing to spend money last year, doesn't mean they are now. If the economy was the same as last year, I have no doubt the payroll would be the same, or even higher this year. There are years of history that prove that out, as compared to the anecdotal hypothesis with zero flexibility you are trying to paint this as. Failure to recognize that times have changed is the type of stupidity that turns you into the Phoenix Coyotes.

And now you say adding Peavy's contract, and I never insisted the Sox spend the amount of money they would pay Peavy both short and long term. I'm sure if KW says he's broke tomorrow, you will believe him and a $3 million a year guy who could lead off for one season would be ridiculous.

Edited by Dick Allen