AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

Heads22

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
For a guy who get ripped as much as almost any player on this board, there was an interesting note on the scoreboard tonight. Jim Thome has the highest home run percentage in the AL since he joined the White Sox.

He's up to .252/.379/.515/.894. He's still probably done, however.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
Gonzalez is speculating that Contreras could eventually take Floyd's place in the rotation. According to BA he was throwing first pitch forkballs for strikes last night. Floyd is out of options so I presume he would move to the bullpen if this longshot (IMO) comes true. Here's the question. If Floyd has another 3 or 4 starts like his last 3 or 4 do you risk losing him and his new contract by exposing him to waivers? Considering in his last 21 starts his ERA is about 6.00 it would have to be a consideration.

Ozzie, from his pregame comments, seems that he will be expecting from Jose at least one more solid start before he considers a recall.

There's not really much of a probability of being competitive in 2010 with Poreda, Richard and ??? making up the back of the rotation. Exposing Floyd would be too risky...you put him in the bullpen if you have to, but he's pretty clearly expected to be part of the foundation moving forward. We're also moving into an easier part of our schedule, so he should do better against the NL and AL Central than against the AL East.

If we were told they would put that $10-12 million from Floyd's deal into a FA starting pitcher, you'd have to at least consider it. Then again, having a possible #3 starter locked in for three more years is very difficult to part with, especially since the odds of Floyd returning to first half 08 form are probably better than replacing him for three years in a row with someone who can do the same for $3-4 million per season (like a Braden Looper type).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
BA had more bad luck. Hit some solid shots, but Crede just robbed him twice.

I should have mentioned that. His first two at-bats were great. He worked the count, and hit the ball hard. No one can blame him for that, even if it won't show up in the boxscore.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
Gonzalez is speculating that Contreras could eventually take Floyd's place in the rotation. According to BA he was throwing first pitch forkballs for strikes last night. Floyd is out of options so I presume he would move to the bullpen if this longshot (IMO) comes true. Here's the question. If Floyd has another 3 or 4 starts like his last 3 or 4 do you risk losing him and his new contract by exposing him to waivers? Considering in his last 21 starts his ERA is about 6.00 it would have to be a consideration.

Putting our (like it or not) number #2 starter for the forseeable future on waivers is never a good idea. Ever.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
FINALLY!!!!!

Hopefully we see a lot more of Nix and Betemit in the upcoming weeks. Lets sacrifice some D with Betemit at 3B, and have Nix play 2B. Also, I wouldn't mind putting Dye in the 5 spot. Right now, a lineup of the following gives us the best chance to win, IMO:

1. Podsednik, CF

2. Nix, 2B

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Quentin, LF

7. Betemit, 3B

8. Pierzynski, C

9. Ramirez, SS

None-the-less, it was refreshing to see a win, even if it was just 1 win.

There is absolutely no way I'm taking either Anderson out of the lineup or Quentin out of the 3 hole on a regular basis. I don't know why you would.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 20, 2009 -> 05:23 AM)
There is absolutely no way I'm taking either Anderson out of the lineup or Quentin out of the 3 hole on a regular basis. I don't know why you would.

It's the old leadoff argument. Certainly against Liriano, you should start Anderson.

1. 2B Nix/Ramirez SS

2. Nix/Ramirez

3. Dye RF

4. Thome DH

5. Konerko 1B

6. AJ C

7. Betemit 3B

8. Anderson CF

9. Pods LF

Of course, if you bench Fields and Quentin's on the bench, then you're stuck with Thome, AJ and Pods against a LH. But this way, you're getting Getz and Fields out of the line-up, the two hitters who have been struggling the most. And Thome has been getting some key hits against lefties recently.

Of course, it would be great to have Carlos back in the line-up and 100%...and I would guess we'll see Corkaroo as well, but it's hard to take AJ out of any game against the Twins (with the day game tmrw). Pods against a LH is a necessary evil, but still better than Lillibridge.

Edited by caulfield12

Buehrle found some amusement in beating the Twins for the 23rd time in his career, his most victories against any opponent.

"I own them," Buehrle joked, with catcher A.J. Pierzynski adding, "that [comment] will be in the headlines."

Interesting fact: White Sox have now won 9 of their last 10 at USCF against the Twins.

tribune.com

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)

They won't expose him to waivers until after the trade deadline. He will either go to the pen, or he will go to the DL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 06:43 AM)
They won't expose him to waivers until after the trade deadline. He will either go to the pen, or he will go to the DL.

If the Yankees can get Wang to the DL the Sox can find some reason to get Floyd there.

Now put on a winning streak and lets be able to close my thread. This team still has a shot, but its got to put together a nice little winning streak and get the mojo back. The big keys will be Danks, Floyd and Richard's outings, imo.

There is no way in hell they would put Gavin in the pen or on waivers, thats just a retarded argument. He is one of their young guns that they have invested a hell of alot more than they have in other players, he'll pitch every 5th day or go on the DL. Since he isnt hurt, but only is out of rythmn, he should be out there every turn until he figures it out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2009 -> 03:57 AM)
Fields, welcome to the bench for at least 2-3 games.

You either will see a Nix/Betemit platoon or Nix alone if Ozzie chooses to go for defense first. Betemit does deserve a chance to hit against some RHP this year and show what he can do.

Logically, Nix or Alexei (to see even more fastballs, he can take the ball to RF and bunt as well) should be in the 2 hole.

Is Nix a good fielder at 3B? I don't know. Obviously Betemit is not a glove man, but is he any worse than Fields?

QUOTE (Cali @ May 20, 2009 -> 04:37 AM)
Thing thing about Viciedo, which I keep forgetting, is that the Sox didn't draft him, He's only under their control for 4 years, you damn well better believe with Kenny's ego he's gonna want to get the majority of those 4 years in Chicago if at all possible....

He wants a return on his investment...

Not only ego, but moneywise as well. They are paying him some big bucks to play at AA and how long is that going to happen?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
There is no way in hell they would put Gavin in the pen or on waivers, thats just a retarded argument. He is one of their young guns that they have invested a hell of alot more than they have in other players, he'll pitch every 5th day or go on the DL. Since he isnt hurt, but only is out of rythmn, he should be out there every turn until he figures it out.

I agree with this. Given his contract and what he did last season, there's no way that you give up on him at this point.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
Is Nix a good fielder at 3B? I don't know. Obviously Betemit is not a glove man, but is he any worse than Fields?

Nix is a plus-plus defender, I don't know that he has ever played 3rd but I'm sure he could handle it. Betemit is atrocious. Fields is not as bad this year in the field as people make him out to be.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)

If the White Sox would sent Jose Contreras to Charlotte, they would have no problem putting Gavin Floyd in the bullpen if his performance continues to blow.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Nix is a plus-plus defender, I don't know that he has ever played 3rd but I'm sure he could handle it. Betemit is atrocious. Fields is not as bad this year in the field as people make him out to be.

Last night, Fields was awful in the field. There were 4 potential plays to be made. An average fielder makes at least one, probably two. A great fielder makes 2 probably 3. Brooks Robinson in his prime makes all 4. Fields made none. He really has slow reactions on groundballs. He cannot hit second. That is giving the opponent an advantage.

BTW, what's the deal with Pods new 16" softball style of running up and hitting the ball? I could maybe understand it if he was hitting grounders giving him a running start to first base, but everytime he performs this, he hits the ball in the air, something he shouldn't be doing too much of.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
If the White Sox would sent Jose Contreras to Charlotte, they would have no problem putting Gavin Floyd in the bullpen if his performance continues to blow.

Remember though, Contreras was the guy that lead the charge to Charlotte, but I also agree with you, if the Sox don't think Gavin has it right, they'll move him to the pen and try straigthening him up there. Bottom line though they are invested in him and will do whatever it takes to get him back on track.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
Last night, Fields was awful in the field. There were 4 potential plays to be made. An average fielder makes at least one, probably two. A great fielder makes 2 probably 3. Brooks Robinson in his prime makes all 4. Fields made none. He really has slow reactions on groundballs. He cannot hit second. That is giving the opponent an advantage.

BTW, what's the deal with Pods new 16" softball style of running up and hitting the ball? I could maybe understand it if he was hitting grounders giving him a running start to first base, but everytime he performs this, he hits the ball in the air, something he shouldn't be doing too much of.

Everyone talks about Fields playing solid defense, but if you watch the games closely you'll see that his 3B positioning is awful and that in fact he's flat out mediocre. I don't know if anyone has any defensive metrics (as I am not good at those) which would back what my eyes are telling me but I haven't been impressed at all. I'll also admit I was very spoiled.

I think a short stint in AAA is what the doctor ordered and during that time you go with a combo of Nix/Betemeit. They couldn't hit anyworse and your saving Fields in a sense. But I think Fields gets a little bit longer before the Sox go that route and I don't have a problem with that. At this point his trade value is pretty low to the point that all you can do is trade him for another failed prospect (something I'm not opposed to).