AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

Heads22

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 20, 2009 -> 05:23 AM)
There is absolutely no way I'm taking either Anderson out of the lineup or Quentin out of the 3 hole on a regular basis. I don't know why you would.

Until Quentin gets healthy and starts actually hitting the ball again, there's no reason for him batting 3rd.

As for Anderson, right now, like it or not, Podsednik is our best option as leadoff hitter. You use Anderson as late inning defensive replacement, and starting CF vs. lefties (in that case, Nix than leads off).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Everyone talks about Fields playing solid defense, but if you watch the games closely you'll see that his 3B positioning is awful and that in fact he's flat out mediocre. I don't know if anyone has any defensive metrics (as I am not good at those) which would back what my eyes are telling me but I haven't been impressed at all. I'll also admit I was very spoiled.

I think a short stint in AAA is what the doctor ordered and during that time you go with a combo of Nix/Betemeit. They couldn't hit anyworse and your saving Fields in a sense. But I think Fields gets a little bit longer before the Sox go that route and I don't have a problem with that. At this point his trade value is pretty low to the point that all you can do is trade him for another failed prospect (something I'm not opposed to).

Fields' UZR/150 (Ultimate Zone Rating per 150 games) is -13.6. His UZR is at -4.1 right now. If you compare that to a good fielder like Longoria, whose UZR/150 is 18.6 and UZR is currently 5.6, that's bad. Fields is below average right now. His UZR is pretty much what it was in 2007.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
Fields' UZR/150 (Ultimate Zone Rating per 150 games) is -13.6. His UZR is at -4.1 right now. If you compare that to a good fielder like Longoria, whose UZR/150 is 18.6 and UZR is currently 5.6, that's bad. Fields is below average right now. His UZR is pretty much what it was in 2007.

Perfect, so it matches exactly what my eyes are telling me.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Everyone talks about Fields playing solid defense, but if you watch the games closely you'll see that his 3B positioning is awful and that in fact he's flat out mediocre. I don't know if anyone has any defensive metrics (as I am not good at those) which would back what my eyes are telling me but I haven't been impressed at all. I'll also admit I was very spoiled.

I think a short stint in AAA is what the doctor ordered and during that time you go with a combo of Nix/Betemeit. They couldn't hit anyworse and your saving Fields in a sense. But I think Fields gets a little bit longer before the Sox go that route and I don't have a problem with that. At this point his trade value is pretty low to the point that all you can do is trade him for another failed prospect (something I'm not opposed to).

I'm pretty sure Fields is out of options, so he would likely have to pass through waivers and accept assignment to Charlotte if we went that route.

Also, anyone find it ridiculous that we have Dye 3rd, Thome 4th, and PK 5th? Is it just me, or does it make too much sense to put Thome 3rd, PK 4th, and Dye 5th, with Quentin 6th?

Konerko's been our best hitter this year, so why not try and capitalize on that? Think whatever you want of Thome, he's still getting on base at a great clip, and with the way we've been playing, we need to maximize our scoring oppurtunities. Dye did homer yesterday, but he's been in a bit of a funk, but we also need someone to protect Paulie as well. Soon pitchers are just gonna unintentianally intentianally walk Konerko to face AJ or Alexei instead.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)

He does have potential to be average IMO. He has made some real good plays since he's been with the Sox. I don't know who the organization thought they were fooling when they talked about his 2 weekends with Joey Cora this past offseason, maybe they were just trying to build his confidence, but it seems more balls make it past him down the line even some that aren't hit very hard, and you wonder how long the Sox can have him there defensively. Betemit's defense can't be that much worse, and he has to be better than this current version of Fields offensively. I have a feeling he's also taking his offensive struggles with him to the field, and he's one guy that can't afford to do that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
Last night, Fields was awful in the field. There were 4 potential plays to be made. An average fielder makes at least one, probably two. A great fielder makes 2 probably 3. Brooks Robinson in his prime makes all 4. Fields made none. He really has slow reactions on groundballs. He cannot hit second. That is giving the opponent an advantage.

BTW, what's the deal with Pods new 16" softball style of running up and hitting the ball? I could maybe understand it if he was hitting grounders giving him a running start to first base, but everytime he performs this, he hits the ball in the air, something he shouldn't be doing too much of.

I didn't say he was good. I doubt if he ever will be any more than average. He is not worse than Betemit though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
There is no way in hell they would put Gavin in the pen or on waivers, thats just a retarded argument. He is one of their young guns that they have invested a hell of alot more than they have in other players, he'll pitch every 5th day or go on the DL. Since he isnt hurt, but only is out of rythmn, he should be out there every turn until he figures it out.

If Floyd is still pitching scared, and Contreras has his forkball back, while Richard is giving the squad, respectable work, you can bet your ass Floyd would go to the pen. The Sox aren't afraid of changes.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
I didn't say he was good. I doubt if he ever will be any more than average. He is not worse than Betemit though.

I'd say the loss in defense will be much obliqued if Betemit can hit above .250 and provide good AB's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
If Floyd is still pitching scared, and Contreras has his forkball back, while Richard is giving the squad, respectable work, you can bet your ass Floyd would go to the pen. The Sox aren't afraid of changes.

I seriously doubt it, and Floyd's problem isnt confidence as much as its a small mechanical flaw. The best medicine for him is to run him out there.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
I'm pretty sure Fields is out of options, so he would likely have to pass through waivers and accept assignment to Charlotte if we went that route.

Also, anyone find it ridiculous that we have Dye 3rd, Thome 4th, and PK 5th? Is it just me, or does it make too much sense to put Thome 3rd, PK 4th, and Dye 5th, with Quentin 6th?

Konerko's been our best hitter this year, so why not try and capitalize on that? Think whatever you want of Thome, he's still getting on base at a great clip, and with the way we've been playing, we need to maximize our scoring oppurtunities. Dye did homer yesterday, but he's been in a bit of a funk, but we also need someone to protect Paulie as well. Soon pitchers are just gonna unintentianally intentianally walk Konerko to face AJ or Alexei instead.

Fields has an option remaining.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I seriously doubt it, and Floyd's problem isnt confidence as much as its a small mechanical flaw. The best medicine for him is to run him out there.

Why would you seriously doubt that the Sox are going to run the players that give them the best chance to win out there? If FLoyd keeps getting lit up, they will get him out of the rotation, I have no doubt about that.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
Fields has an option remaining.

I think the White Sox want to avoid sending him back to AAA. Another stint down there probably ends his status as a prospect. He has over 1100 AAA AB. But something needs to be done. Platoon him, play him against lefties , where he has had a lot of his success. If the team falls out of contention, then let him flail away and once and for all to see if you have something worth salvaging or go in a different direction. Viciedo doesn't appear to be much with the glove either, You owe it to the organization to try to win right now, and Josh Fields at 3rd base everyday isn't working.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Why would you seriously doubt that the Sox are going to run the players that give them the best chance to win out there? If FLoyd keeps getting lit up, they will get him out of the rotation, I have no doubt about that.

Because they have invested so much in him as a top of the line starter for this team, the positives of trying to let him work his way out of his funk far outweight the possible negatives of moving him to a pen role and him never coming out of it. He's a starter, either here, or somewhere else.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
Because they have invested so much in him as a top of the line starter for this team, the positives of trying to let him work his way out of his funk far outweight the possible negatives of moving him to a pen role and him never coming out of it. He's a starter, either here, or somewhere else.

The positives of winning out weigh anything else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)

But not necessarily short term thinking only. They will sacrifice some games to get him right and producing in the future.

The same with Getz and Fields. The team will let them go through growing pains to see what they have for the future. Players go through a learning process and people just need to be patient.

The classic cliched example is Robin Ventura. How many people on this board would have wanted to get rid of him during the 0-41 to start his career? That isn't struggling that is horrible. Yet , the sox learned by the way he was handling it, that he could be productive later on in his career.

So, as much as it hursts in the short term. We must have patience.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
But not necessarily short term thinking only. They will sacrifice some games to get him right and producing in the future.

The same with Getz and Fields. The team will let them go through growing pains to see what they have for the future. Players go through a learning process and people just need to be patient.

The classic cliched example is Robin Ventura. How many people on this board would have wanted to get rid of him during the 0-41 to start his career? That isn't struggling that is horrible. Yet , the sox learned by the way he was handling it, that he could be productive later on in his career.

Who is to say that Floyd won't get more confidence out of the pen in very specific situations taylored for his own success versus going out and getting his ass kicked all over the AL? Who is to say that two weeks away from the game, followed by some starts against AAA teams won't allow him to work his mechanical problems out, all without the pressures of each pitch being important?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)

Remember that the Sox traded away their best pitcher and closer while 3 1/2 games out in July, 1997. The long-term matters, and this team isn't any better prepared to win in the postseason than the mediocre '97 squad (nor did Kenny invest anything near what Schueler did in that team).

I could see Ozzie moving Floyd to the 'pen or them putting him on the DL with a fake injury and a rehab stint in Charlotte. But I think it's more probable that they keep pushing him out there until he's able to make the necessary adjustments. With Contreras sucking even worse and Richard's inconsistency, it's not like they're flush with replacement options.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)

Floyd is a little farther along in his career. If he gets getting lit up, he's leaving the rotation. There comes a point when "growing pains" become confidence destroyers. The Sox took Jose Contreras out of the rotation in 2007 and he had a lot more money left on his contract than Floyd does.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Remember that the Sox traded away their best pitcher and closer while 3 1/2 games out in July, 1997. The long-term matters, and this team isn't any better prepared to win in the postseason than the mediocre '97 squad (nor did Kenny invest anything near what Schueler did in that team).

I could see Ozzie moving Floyd to the 'pen or them putting him on the DL with a fake injury and a rehab stint in Charlotte. But I think it's more probable that they keep pushing him out there until he's able to make the necessary adjustments. With Contreras sucking even worse and Richard's inconsistency, it's not like they're flush with replacement options.

That won't happen today. The Sox learned that lesson when that blew up in their faces.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
That won't happen today. The Sox learned that lesson when that blew up in their faces.

I agree that the current ownership group won't do anything THAT extremely controversial again. But my point is that this organization is more interested in the long-term than winning at all costs right now - and has been since JR and EH took over in the early '80s. If the Sox were absolutely 100% going for it this year, there's no way that they trade Javy for a prospect and rely on Contreras and Colon to shore up the back of the rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Who is to say that Floyd won't get more confidence out of the pen in very specific situations taylored for his own success versus going out and getting his ass kicked all over the AL? Who is to say that two weeks away from the game, followed by some starts against AAA teams won't allow him to work his mechanical problems out, all without the pressures of each pitch being important?

I hate to do this to you since you are one of my favorite posters here but...

Who's to say it will?

Thanks Coop. I'd rather stop seeing him go out there and bury the Sox by giving up 6 runs early, especially with this offense, but if that's what's best for this 1 year wonder, I say let's continue putting ourselves in a losing position each time he starts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Floyd is a little farther along in his career. If he gets getting lit up, he's leaving the rotation. There comes a point when "growing pains" become confidence destroyers. The Sox took Jose Contreras out of the rotation in 2007 and he had a lot more money left on his contract than Floyd does.

I don't focus on the money, only the long term benefit for the team. This really is Floyd's second year of full time starting so I think they will give him more time. If it lasts 1/2 a seaon, like with Contreras, then they may move him. But not until near the AS break.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)

In those scenario's I don't think he learns what he needs to. He needs to learn to pitch over some of the problems. He may learn more for the long run getting beat up. You never know what works with individual players. I hope the Sox staff can figure it out. Either way I don't think they make any move until at least the AS break.