Seriously... I need SOME HELP!!

Steve9347

OK.

I want to lose some weight, but I'm stuck at 200. I keep going out and drinking to watch the Blackhawks. Goddammit they lost tonight.

However, this is nothing new. I've been stuck at the same weight since I left college. How in the world do I stop drinking/eating/lazying enough to lose another 20 lbs!?

Anyone have some s*** they've done to lose? Chew some velarian root and call me in the morning? (shameless Fight Club plug).

Seriously, at the end of the night I'm like "f***ing just stop being stupid and work out", then the next day stopping at Mickey D's for lunch is impossible to avoid.

ARGH, I = hugh p-word.

Seriously though... what have you told yourself to get yourself to get it together enough to lose the weight you've wanted to for awhile? :unsure:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Seriously though... what have you told yourself to get yourself to get it together enough to lose the weight you've wanted to for awhile? :unsure:

A few things.

1. Intense stomach flu while in China was a good 10 pounds. I wouldn't recommend it.

2. Cut back on the size of your meals. The one that really worked for me was switching my lunch to a couple pieces of fruit. Try downing a full glass of water before dinner. Don't eat every second you feel hungry during the day...down a glass of tea or water or something like that.

3. The thing that really got me started on a workout program was falling behind everyone else on a field trip when I should have been able to keep up. Pissed me off. Started the gym routine that week, haven't stopped yet 2.5 years later, down over 50 pounds from the peak, added a ton of muscle.

Replace all your drinks with water.

Eliminate alcohol as soon as Hawks win the Stanley Cup.

6 smaller meals throughout the day instead of big 3. Avoiding eating before sleep. Run.

I kinda misunderstood the question.

Motivation is key. I'm not sure if you're married or seeing someone, but I'm getting jacked for the ladies.

Edited by tommy

I'm not sure if you're married or seeing someone, but I'm getting jacked for the ladies.

Yea he's married so he's already screwed.. :lol:

But I feel your pain Steve. I'm the same way. the best thing as already said is after the Hawks finish up their playoff run, you start the buisness (lots of water is always crucial, then work your way into smaller meals for the food) And if that doesn't work.. you can always starve yourself.. :P

You already know what you should and should not be doing.

Can you pass up the pizza for a salad?

Can you pass up the milk shake, or pop for water?

Can you do 30 minutes of cardio instead of 30 mins on Soxtalk?

Self Discipline. Plain and simple. You have it or you don't.

i've dropped 20 lbs since about mid-februrary (still want to lose at least 20 more)...i've been in the situation you have and here is what i tell myself to keep myself disciplined....

I am now two years out of college. I'd much rather see myself as a nice looking, responsible professional, than a fat slob. Don't get me wrong...in college, i was ok with being the beer drinking pizza eating guy sitting on the couch watching football. But now, I tell myself its time to take some responsibility and be an adult about this....and i have my foot in my mouth a bit, as last night was at the Sox game and had a couple beers and a basket of fries in the bullpen sports bar. But in general with drinking, I try to follow these two rules...Booze only one night a week, and that one night should always be friday or saturday night.

So when i pass by McDonalds at 9am thinking 2 Chicken Biscuits would be so good...I tell myself, its time to be a responsible adult about my eating habits and pass instead.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
A few things.

1. Intense stomach flu while in China was a good 10 pounds. I wouldn't recommend it.

2. Cut back on the size of your meals. The one that really worked for me was switching my lunch to a couple pieces of fruit. Try downing a full glass of water before dinner. Don't eat every second you feel hungry during the day...down a glass of tea or water or something like that.

3. The thing that really got me started on a workout program was falling behind everyone else on a field trip when I should have been able to keep up. Pissed me off. Started the gym routine that week, haven't stopped yet 2.5 years later, down over 50 pounds from the peak, added a ton of muscle.

Yeah but you look a little goofy now.

biceps.jpg

To be honest, its the first month that is the hardest. Once you get that rock over the hill and you start actually feeling better day to day, its easier to continue your routine. Eating healthy and working out will improve alot of areas of your life, your energy, your sleep, your sex life, your looks etc.

When I started really getting back into working out, and this is cheesy, I taped the fattest looking picture of me I could find on the fridge. Every day I woke up to get breakfast it was like a cup of coffee for the day. Once you start seeing results in 30+days your motivation will be to get to your goal and past it.

You have to be motivated. If you don't have anything in your head that keeps you going and makes you feel guilty if you break your diet then you're screwed. About 8 weeks ago i finally realized that I was sick of being overweight. I weighed 230 lbs and I wasn't comfortable with myself. I cut every drink out of my diet except for water. I have not eaten fast food since I've started, and when you eat make the portions smaller. In these 8 weeks i have lost 25 lbs, and I have 35 lbs to go until I reach 170, but I am feeling a lot better about myself. Knowing that what you're doing right now is the wrong way to live and that you don't want to live that way is a huge step forward. Use that as the motivation to start a diet.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ May 24, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
You have to be motivated. If you don't have anything in your head that keeps you going and makes you feel guilty if you break your diet then you're screwed. About 8 weeks ago i finally realized that I was sick of being overweight. I weighed 230 lbs and I wasn't comfortable with myself. I cut every drink out of my diet except for water. I have not eaten fast food since I've started, and when you eat make the portions smaller. In these 8 weeks i have lost 25 lbs, and I have 35 lbs to go until I reach 170, but I am feeling a lot better about myself. Knowing that what you're doing right now is the wrong way to live and that you don't want to live that way is a huge step forward. Use that as the motivation to start a diet.

NIce work dude.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
When I started really getting back into working out, and this is cheesy, I taped the fattest looking picture of me I could find on the fridge.

Once you got to where you wanted to be did you grab it and crumple it up and look at the fridge with confidence like Rocky did in Rocky IV??

• 5 months later...

Something that has worked for me is to challenge one of my buddies who is also a fatty. The last time I did this I bet my buddy $100 that I could lose more % of body weight over 6 weeks. It kept me motivated and I ended up dropping almost 20 pounds during those 6 weeks. The problem was after the bet was over I lost my motivastion and gained most of the wieght back. Now I am betting against the wife. If I win i get Hawks tickets if she wins I have to buy and go with her to see Wicked. That is not happening.

Good luck. I guess it's been a while since your post so hopefully you've reached your goal.