Books Thread

BobDylan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Anyone read The Road?

I was...disappointed. It had such promise, but nothing happened. I felt like it was a good first 5 chapters of a 20 chapter book.

thought it was really good. plenty happened, it just didn't follow freytag's triangle (standard plot structure). the plot wasn't a triangle, it was a meandering line--like a road. if there's any real criticism i think it should be re: the ending. i didn't personally have a problem with it but i could see how maybe someone could.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Anyone read The Road?

I was...disappointed. It had such promise, but nothing happened. I felt like it was a good first 5 chapters of a 20 chapter book.

I felt the same way. I was looking forward to reading it, but really didn't think it was very good at all.

Well written, yes. But repetitive and kind of boring.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Did anyone see some idiot was trying to write a sequel to A Cather in the Rye? He should be burned at the stake.

Yeah, and Salinger's lawyers are all over the hack, which is how I learned about it. Ironically, a suit like that almost does the guy a favor, since it only gets him more publicity.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Did anyone see some idiot was trying to write a sequel to A Cather in the Rye? He should be burned at the stake.

I agree he should be burned at the stake, but only because he is helping to keep that original piece of crap alive. Lord, I HATED that book. I will never understand why that thing is so beloved.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
Oelwien, IA is "meth land"? I knew Des Moines had big meth issues, but... Oelwein? Really?

Very much so. I live a block away from the high school, and there was a meth lab less than a block away from me.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
I agree he should be burned at the stake, but only because he is helping to keep that original piece of crap alive. Lord, I HATED that book. I will never understand why that thing is so beloved.

It is a stylistic masterpiece.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Yeah, and Salinger's lawyers are all over the hack, which is how I learned about it. Ironically, a suit like that almost does the guy a favor, since it only gets him more publicity.

If Salinger wins, the book gets barred from publication right?

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)

:o :o

Catcher in the Rye is one of my top 5 all time favorite books.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
If Salinger wins, the book gets barred from publication right?

Probably, yeah. However, I don't completely understand all the issues involved, but I think they can be defended so long as there is an acknowledgement that it is "based upon characters created by J.D. Salinger." I know a similar suit filed by the Margaret Mitchell estate against a "Gone With the Wind" sequel ended up a loser. I'm not sure if there's precedent, or if there could be distinguishing factors.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
so after railing against nonfic earlier in this thread i'm now reading The Gamble: General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008, by thomas e ricks. it's all right. quite a bit of interesting stuff on tactics and strategy.

I read an earlier Iraq book of his, called Fiasco, that was (IMO) essential reading if you want a picture of how things went in Iraq.

Actually, that could be an interesting reading list. To understand the Iraq War, the essentials:

All three of the Woodward books on BushCo and the war on terror

Cobra II by Gordon, Trainer

Curveball by Bob Drogin

Fiasco by Thomas Ricks

Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill

Idiot's Guide to Surviving in Iraq by James Janega

That should give you a pretty good picture of the various military, political, intel and ground factors. The only missing piece really is a good cultural guide to Iraq, so, you'll have to find that youself, as I don't know one off hand.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
I read an earlier Iraq book of his, called Fiasco, that was (IMO) essential reading if you want a picture of how things went in Iraq.

Actually, that could be an interesting reading list. To understand the Iraq War, the essentials:

All three of the Woodward books on BushCo and the war on terror

Cobra II by Gordon, Trainer

Curveball by Bob Drogin

Fiasco by Thomas Ricks

Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill

Idiot's Guide to Surviving in Iraq by James Janega

That should give you a pretty good picture of the various military, political, intel and ground factors. The only missing piece really is a good cultural guide to Iraq, so, you'll have to find that youself, as I don't know one off hand.

i get the sense that if you considered fiasco essential you'd probably dig this one a lot too. seems very thorough, and it's interesting how much disagreement there was in the military over the change in strategy. lotta generals and admirals feuding and stuff like that.

I just finished reading Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin which was a really fascinating read. Grandin is an autistic woman who designed about 1/2 of the slaughter houses in the country. She advocates good lives and humane (fear-free) deaths for livestock. It was a really interesting book about how animals may think and how you can create a better life for animals (or at least understand their behavior a bit better). Her writing can be a little distracting (she goes on tangents a lot), but overall it's an enjoyable read.

Now I'm reading Me Talk Pretty One Day (officially making me the last white person in the world to read it) by David Sedaris. It's funny. Really funny.

I also have recently finished Devil in the White City, the last book in The Sandman Series by Neil Gaimen, and a couple of Agatha Christies. Ahhh, summer reading.