Books Thread

BobDylan

32589001.JPG

I just finished The Big Rich, a very good read on the Big Four Texas Oilmen, Richardson, Cullen, Hunt, and Murchison. Very interesting, especially their early attempts in politics. While a small, almost side note in finishing, the Bush family's ascension, and resulting higher energy prices, should have been predicted.

Now onto Endurance, a story of Shackleton's arctic adventure.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
32589001.JPG

I just finished The Big Rich, a very good read on the Big Four Texas Oilmen, Richardson, Cullen, Hunt, and Murchison. Very interesting, especially their early attempts in politics. While a small, almost side note in finishing, the Bush family's ascension, and resulting higher energy prices, should have been predicted.

Now onto Endurance, a story of Shackleton's arctic adventure.

Endurance will humble you. Anyone who thinks they are actually tough should read what those guys went through.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Endurance will humble you. Anyone who thinks they are actually tough should read what those guys went through.

Just finished it. Wow. And with the equipment of the day. Amazing.

On to Longhorns by J. Frank Dobie.

I just found a book called And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks, which was co-written by Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs in 1945, 10 years before either became very well known and was just published in 2008. Each author is a character in the book and they alternate chapters telling the story from their point of view. I just started it, so I don't know if I like it, but I thought the whole concept and the fact that it sat on a shelf for over sixty years is pretty amazing, considering the success the two men achieved years after it was written.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
I just found a book called And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks, which was co-written by Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs in 1945, 10 years before either became very well known and was just published in 2008. Each author is a character in the book and they alternate chapters telling the story from their point of view. I just started it, so I don't know if I like it, but I thought the whole concept and the fact that it sat on a shelf for over sixty years is pretty amazing, considering the success the two men achieved years after it was written.

I liked it. I am also reading Desolation Angels by Kerouac. He's one of my favorite authors. Dharma Bums and On The Road are imho two of the greatest books of all time.

For someone trying to be marketable in their chosen career path (business or public relations) I've been reading Career Wisdom For College Students by Peter Vogt. It's a good fast read that I'd recommend to anyone - especially Generation Y college students.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Good to see you're a fellow comic book guy, Sqwert.

To be honest I rarely read them. Maybe once a year.

I'll hit you up for recommendations when I'm ready for something new.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
Just finished The Road. Yeah, not really sure I liked it. Nothing happened.

There was a "The Road" discussion a few pages back; I voiced a similar opinion, as did a few others.

There was some vigorous dissent.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

So, I was flipping through the 1st Harry Potter book on a whim and something odd caught my attention. I get to the part where Harry gets his ticket from Hagrid for King’s Cross, finds a ride, ends up at the train station and (here’s the part where this kicks in) has Absolutely NO IDEA what to do. He proceeds to ask a handful of regular people at the train station, speaking to them in what is essentially, babble, and each incident of odd, alone 11-year old talking in weird language goes unreported, but this is nitpicky stuff my main concern is this: How many human born students did Hogwarts end up screwing over, by not telling them the process of how to get on the Wizard train? Was every student supposed to rely on stumbling upon some other Wizard family who’ve apparently been trained in this endeavor? What if no one was there at that particular moment, do we have abandoned human wizard kids in a train station, with no means of getting to school or returning home, and who are now s*** out of luck? One would think there’d be some sort of check to this: an undercover wizard train adviser assigned too this particular issue, but no such person is ever mentioned in the novels. This is of some concern and needs to be addressed. Also, how much of this post is sober and serious? You’ll never know.