Books Thread

BobDylan

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
The book, which is short, is pretty good. Not great, but entertaining.

Actually, the book Jurassic Park was a decent read, far better than the movie.

I'm a big Crichton fan (RIP) Actually still making my way through the Great Train Robbery, then moving on to Eaters of the Dead.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gone back to reading a lot lately. Not sure why I stopped. I think it was just a lack of time, but I am working on making up for it now.

I'm reading The Summoning by Bentley Little right now. I've liked everything I have read from Bentley so far, and this is starting out as one of his best so far, which is the reputation it has.

Also grabbed the newest issue of Cemetery Dance magazine last night (along with a couple of books), so I am reading through that right now.

Anybody else on here use Library Thing? It lets you list 200 books for free, but for $10 a year you can list as many as you like. I am thinking I will be spending the $10 soon. I like the site quite a bit. Here is my link:

http://www.librarything.com/home/CarlIsonhart

I think you can see it like that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
The book, which is short, is pretty good. Not great, but entertaining.

Actually, the book Jurassic Park was a decent read, far better than the movie.

The movie version of Jurassic park cuts off some of the more interesting action in the book. The Aviary, the second younger T-Rex, and Hammond isnt presented as much as a crazed billionaire in the movie as much as he is in the book, plus Hammond and Malcolm die in the book(although Malcolm gets a soap opera style rebirth for The Lost World book)

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
The movie version of Jurassic park cuts off some of the more interesting action in the book. The Aviary, the second younger T-Rex, and Hammond isnt presented as much as a crazed billionaire in the movie as much as he is in the book, plus Hammond and Malcolm die in the book(although Malcolm gets a soap opera style rebirth for The Lost World book)

Yeah, and I thought it was hilarious in the movie that Muldoon goes out hunting velociraptors (which are dramatically exagerrated in size from reality) with a friggin shotgun. Seriously? An animal roughly the mass of a grizzly bear but much faster, more muscular and with tough skin, and you think that 12 gauge is doing a damn thing? In the book, they used LAW rockets and/or tranqs, which seemed over the top but actually would be much more effective.

The movie was silly. Book has silly elements too of course, but not as bad. The lawyer character was entirely different in the book as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
Last few years, I've read more non-fiction than fiction. Anyone else read any substantial amount of non-fiction, particularly history-related books?

most of the book-buying public. why do you think we've seen such a rash of "memoirs" that turned out to be fake in recent years? most people want stuff they perceive as real. nonfiction sales crush fiction sales.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
Here's a seperate question. Name an author who you like that you'd call a guilty pleasure. Something you know is not great literature, but you just enjoy it anyway.

I'll throw one out there: Tony Hillerman

don't really feel guilty about it but RA salvatore's an author i followed for years who'll never have library of america editions of his novels. he's a sharecrop pulp fantasy writer and i no longer read everything he puts out, but he's done many great, energetic scenes over the years, and that does take skill. he's got nothing to be ashamed of.

-------------------------------------

mentioned it in another thread but right now i'm reading red mars, by kim stanley robinson. it's good hard SF and well written. deals a lot with terraforming. i guess the environment's a big thing with robinson.

last book i read was elric, by michael moorcock. was a fantasy collection of the first nine elric stories and novellas basically. elric is considered classic material in fantasy circles, so i was shocked by how bad the writing was in most of this early stuff. i can see why it was influential though too so i gave it somewhat of a pass.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ May 20, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
I've gone back to reading a lot lately. Not sure why I stopped. I think it was just a lack of time, but I am working on making up for it now.

I'm reading The Summoning by Bentley Little right now. I've liked everything I have read from Bentley so far, and this is starting out as one of his best so far, which is the reputation it has.

Also grabbed the newest issue of Cemetery Dance magazine last night (along with a couple of books), so I am reading through that right now.

Anybody else on here use Library Thing? It lets you list 200 books for free, but for $10 a year you can list as many as you like. I am thinking I will be spending the $10 soon. I like the site quite a bit. Here is my link:

http://www.librarything.com/home/CarlIsonhart

I think you can see it like that.

i use goodreads, which is more a books-centered social network than library-fetishizing site like librarything. goodreads is still pretty good for cataloguing your library (and free, and has more book reviews). all things considered i'd probably rather be on librarything, but no way i'm payin.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
most of the book-buying public. why do you think we've seen such a rash of "memoirs" that turned out to be fake in recent years? most people want stuff they perceive as real. nonfiction sales crush fiction sales.

I was more directing my question at people here in this thread, for discussion purposes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Last few years, I've read more non-fiction than fiction. Anyone else read any substantial amount of non-fiction, particularly history-related books?

--

Here's a seperate question. Name an author who you like that you'd call a guilty pleasure. Something you know is not great literature, but you just enjoy it anyway.

I barely read fiction anymore, it is almost all non-fiction of some kind. With my limited free time, I feel better learning something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah, and I thought it was hilarious in the movie that Muldoon goes out hunting velociraptors (which are dramatically exagerrated in size from reality) with a friggin shotgun. Seriously? An animal roughly the mass of a grizzly bear but much faster, more muscular and with tough skin, and you think that 12 gauge is doing a damn thing? In the book, they used LAW rockets and/or tranqs, which seemed over the top but actually would be much more effective.

The movie was silly. Book has silly elements too of course, but not as bad. The lawyer character was entirely different in the book as well.

Muldoon was supposed to be the premiere big game hunter in the world too, which makes his death in the movie a little more comical with him getting trapped by the Raptors using the "focus on one while the others close in from behind" hunting method.

I cant recall how he died in the book, but I think it was a little more graphic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
I was more directing my question at people here in this thread, for discussion purposes.

i know, sorry. i was just saying i'd expect ss2k5's to be the standard answer here, since it is everywhere else in the country:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
I barely read fiction anymore, it is almost all non-fiction of some kind. With my limited free time, I feel better learning something.

so utilitarian. so grown-up.

Edited by False Alarm

QUOTE (False Alarm @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
don't really feel guilty about it but RA salvatore's an author i followed for years who'll never have library of america editions of his novels. he's a sharecrop pulp fantasy writer and i no longer read everything he puts out, but he's done many great, energetic scenes over the years, and that does take skill. he's got nothing to be ashamed of.

I enjoyed his Dark Elf series

QUOTE (False Alarm @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
i know, sorry. i was just saying i'd expect ss2k5's to be the standard answer here, since it is everywhere else in the country:

so utilitarian. so grown-up.

Yeah, right now I am reading up on the Michigan City and LaPorte County zoning laws for my new appointment. Fun. :unsure:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)

John Grisham, I've read almost all his books. I also like Hillerman as well. Thief of time was a fun one as was skinwalkers.

Yeah, I know it may not be a work of literary genius, but I find it entertaining. I finished Angels and Demons a couple weeks ago, and I just started this last night. I'm a little behind the times on these books, but I'm glad I'm reading them. Next up on my list to read is The Green Mile.

DaVinciCode.jpg

It's no great work of literature, but I am currently reading Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne.

The movie comes out later this year with a great cast including Michael Cera, Zach Galifianakis, Ray Liotta, Steve Buscemi, Fred Willard, and M. Emmet Walsh.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ May 20, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Just joined Good Reads. So far I actually think I prefer it to Library Thing. The layout is quite easy on the eyes.

I'll probably join that too. I do like LibraryThing though. The recommendations are pretty good aside from recommending what I've already read, but don't own--but what can they do about that?