Books Thread

BobDylan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:20 AM)
If you're referring to my blackberry then yes. Otherwise I want to get out of there asap.

Thats pretty much where I get all of my reading done. Its the only place I can get some PEACE AND (relative) QUIET!

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:17 AM)
How many of you are bathroom readers?

I have a buddy who says he only reads while on the toilet. That just confuses me though. It must take FOREVER to finish a book, and must really suck if you hit an exciting chapter and don't wish to put the book down.

My best friend has been a bathroom reader since he was a kid, and one time he just starts spouting off all of these random facts, and I asked him where he got it from, it turns out he was reading a book called "The Bathroom Book" which is full of random stories and facts. lol

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
My best friend has been a bathroom reader since he was a kid, and one time he just starts spouting off all of these random facts, and I asked him where he got it from, it turns out he was reading a book called "The Bathroom Book" which is full of random stories and facts. lol

Hah. My mom had that in our bathroom.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)

Uncle John's Bathroom Reader!!! I have a few editions of those...

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
Reading Angels and Demons. Don't care what anyone says, it isn't as good as The Da Vinci Code.

I honestly didn't think there was anything as bad as the Da Vinci Code. ...Huh.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
I honestly didn't think there was anything as bad as the Da Vinci Code. ...Huh.

This connects nicely with the earlier discussion of Crichton. I thought that Dan Brown's books, Da Vinci Code particularly, suffered from much the same lack of character depth that most of Crichton's books do. I could see how some people would find them fun in a mindless kind of way, though I personally didn't like them much.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Last few years, I've read more non-fiction than fiction. Anyone else read any substantial amount of non-fiction, particularly history-related books?

--

Here's a seperate question. Name an author who you like that you'd call a guilty pleasure. Something you know is not great literature, but you just enjoy it anyway.

I'll throw one out there: Tony Hillerman

Hah, I know I will catch s*** for this, but I have been reading the Twilight series. I resisted for a long time, but I work 12 hour night shifts several times a month and so I need something to make the time pass. I love vampire lore, so I figured what the heck. Picked up the first book in the series and have been hooked since.

Another solid vampire book, for those of you into that sort of thing, is The Historian....good stuff.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2009 -> 04:49 AM)
Hah, I know I will catch s*** for this, but I have been reading the Twilight series. I resisted for a long time, but I work 12 hour night shifts several times a month and so I need something to make the time pass. I love vampire lore, so I figured what the heck. Picked up the first book in the series and have been hooked since.

Another solid vampire book, for those of you into that sort of thing, is The Historian....good stuff.

I have a co-worker who took her kids to the Twilight movie, and she read the book afterwards just to compare and became hooked immediately.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2009 -> 05:49 AM)

I've taken a look at this and I'll probably like it when get a chance to read it. I used to eat up all the trashy vampire stuff (books, movies, comics, whatever) when I had the time. Occasionally I'd be surprised at the quality of some of the stuff - the first couple Lumley Necroscope books, for instance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Last few years, I've read more non-fiction than fiction. Anyone else read any substantial amount of non-fiction, particularly history-related books?

--

Here's a seperate question. Name an author who you like that you'd call a guilty pleasure. Something you know is not great literature, but you just enjoy it anyway.

I'll throw one out there: Tony Hillerman

I'm more into science stuff, and I have an Einstein biography on cd. The author is Walter Isaacson. I started it a while back but I just got really busy during this past semester, I'm just starting it over now. I think it's pretty good.

My physics teacher recommended a book Isaac Newton written by James Gleick. I just started this book, and I'd recommend this one as well.

If your into zombie material, I suggest the Walking Dead series. They are graphic novels.

Also, are there any Christopher Moore readers? He has a new book that came out called "Fool" was wondering if any has read.