5/20 Games

nretherf

seems like Flowers knows what he's doing at the plate with walks and hitting for power, staying in the minors for another season or so to work on his D can only help his hit for more average then be ready to catch for the Sox mid '10 or '11 season...

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 20, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Even though the Sox say it, I am not convinced Flowers stays at C. I expect the Sox to take a catcher within the first four rounds of this draft.

I wouldn't be shocked either, its a very strong catcher draft. Basham is a nice looking pickup if the Sox buy into him becoming much of a hitter because defensively he projects well and shouldn't go super early in the draft. That said, the Sox are going to do everything they can to keep Flowers at C, especially since Viciedo and Allen both look pretty solid as well and I still think they might target a corner infielder early in this draft (as there are some good quality guys that seem to be sliding).

QUOTE (Cali @ May 20, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
seems like Flowers knows what he's doing at the plate with walks and hitting for power, staying in the minors for another season or so to work on his D can only help his hit for more average then be ready to catch for the Sox mid '10 or '11 season...

Plus he has a pretty solid arm and he's a good athlete. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him turn into a league average defensive catcher and with his offensive skill-set that would be a major plus.

It seems like we have Allen at 1B for the near future, so I would keep flowers at C unless they can land a STUD in the draft. Then I suppose you could eventually move Allen to DH, and Flowers to first down the road if that scenario plays out

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ May 20, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
It seems like we have Allen at 1B for the near future, so I would keep flowers at C unless they can land a STUD in the draft. Then I suppose you could eventually move Allen to DH, and Flowers to first down the road if that scenario plays out

I'm getting the impression with this draft that even if we pick someone, it'll be at least 3 years before we're talking about them being MLB ready and that's on the low end. Lotta developmental guys here. So that way, we have a guy 2 years behind Flowers, Flowers gets 2 years after replacing AJ to see if he can swing it in the big leagues, and if he can, then best case scenario we're in the boat the Braves were in when they moved Salty for Tex.