Info on a couple Sox Spects from Rick Hahn

Chisoxfn

Below is a brief recap:

Aaron Poreda - He's the guy the Sox get the most calls about from other teams. If it was up to Hahn, the club would not promote him as a potential quick fix and would leave him down in the minors for him to work on his secondary stuff. Hahn went on to add that the organization has told Poreda (and Poreda is starting to understand this) that it is okay for him to make mistakes with his secondary pitches since its just the minors and thats what the minors are there for (his development). Hahn went on to indicate that Poreda could be ready for the pen right now, but that again, up to him, the best approach is to take things slowly and leth im develop

My Take: This is a breath of fresh air and the absolute correct thing to do regarding Poreda's development. It sounds like the Sox are going to do whatever they can to get him to stick as a starter and that means he'll probably spend all year in the minors working specifically on improving the secondary stuff. If all goes well, he makes it as a starter and if not, the Sox can send him to the pen. Bringing him up now would have given him very little chance to ever succeed as a starter, thus limiting him to the pen and while I've been adamant that as he currently stands it'll be tough for him to make it as a starter, the Sox patience and approach good pay off in a big way.

Tyler Flowers - The current ETA for Flowers is 2010 to 2011 (more conservative estimate), however, Hahn insinuated that offensively he's ready for the big leagues but that defensive issues will hold him back. The Sox have had him spend a lot of time with there roving catching instructor

Brandon Allen - As it stands, Allen currently isn't on the 2009 timetable, but 2010 is more realistic, depending on what the Sox do with Dye/Thome.

My Take: This might change in the next 3 weeks.

Charlie Leesman - Hahn mentioned him as a sleeper and said the big thing to like is that he's a lefty with a 95MPH fastball. Hahn said he fell in the draft (10th round selection) due to some disciplinary and off the field issues, which the Sox investigated and deemed to be unimportant.

On a somewhat related note, I hope we can keep Rick Hahn here as long as possible. However, he's a top candidate for any future open GM spots, and unless KW takes a powder, Hahn won't be getting the White Sox GM spot any time soon.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (tommy @ May 20, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
That's some great info coming from a GM - vice.

No word on Beckham or Viciedo, that's surprising.

There was a note on Viciedo but it wasn't performance related.

Answered a long-standing question about the contracts of Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo. Yes, both are under White Sox control for six years like any other drafted player. That makes it a helluva lot easier to be patient with Viciedo.

http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/default.aspx

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
Nice! So, what happens when their current contracts run out? Arbitration?

Depends on their service time. Viciedo is under contract through 2012, assuming he spends the next 3 seasons in the majors (2010-2012) he'll be arbitration eligible in 2013.

It goes from this:

2009: $1M

2010: $1.25M

2011: $1.25M

2012: $2.5M

2013: Free Agent

to:

2009: $1M

2010: $1.25M

2011: $1.25M

2012: $2.5M

2013: Arbitration eligible

2014: Arbitration eligible

2015: Arbitration eligible

2016: Free Agent

As for Alexei; 2012 and 2013 will be arbitration eligible seasons. This is great news. They can now take their sweet ass time with Dayan.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 20, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
On a somewhat related note, I hope we can keep Rick Hahn here as long as possible. However, he's a top candidate for any future open GM spots, and unless KW takes a powder, Hahn won't be getting the White Sox GM spot any time soon.

I am fairly confident Hahn won't go anywhere unless it's for what I call local jobs: Cubs, Sox, Cardinals, Brewers and maybe a couple others. He is from the area, lives with his kids in the area, family in the area, you get the picture. He wants to stay around here. He is the next GM after KW IMO, with only a few other jobs preventing that from happening. He is also a great guy.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
I am fairly confident Hahn won't go anywhere unless it's for what I call local jobs: Cubs, Sox, Cardinals, Brewers and maybe a couple others. He is from the area, lives with his kids in the area, family in the area, you get the picture. He wants to stay around here. He is the next GM after KW IMO, with only a few other jobs preventing that from happening. He is also a great guy.

He went to the same high school you and I did, in fact I was there with him for some of that time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
He went to the same high school you and I did, in fact I was there with him for some of that time.

This is true. When I did a radio show in HS, we had him on about five times talking about the Sox. You gotta be a genuine guy to go on a HS sports radio show. He was so nice, too. Gave me his number and e-mail. I hope he stays for life because baseball needs more guys like him.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Yep that's HUGE news. The Viciedo contract looks so much better.

Yea, in fact it looks downright stellar, imo. Especially with him hitting. I do have some news on Viciedo, but it didn't come from last night or Hahn.

But I've heard that Viciedo has been putting in major extra time down with the Barons hitting coach and that no one in the organization is at all concerned with Dayan and that his struggles were related to how much different the pitching style is here as opposed to in Cuba. In addition, there were some expected problems relating to the language barrier but from what I was told, he's getting much more comfortable now.

And obviously it shows in his statistics.

Again, I reiterate that the above is not from Rick Hahn.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 20, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
There was a note on Viciedo but it wasn't performance related.

http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/default.aspx

Are we sure about that? I thought they were on major league contracts. Aren't those specifically NOT what the contracts players sign after being drafted. I guess I thought they were in the same position as those Japanese players who often avoid arbitration.

It is fantastic news if true though.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Are we sure about that? I thought they were on major league contracts. Aren't those specifically NOT what the contracts players sign after being drafted. I guess I thought they were in the same position as those Japanese players who often avoid arbitration.

Yep, we had our people at the same event and thats exactly what we were told, straight from Rick Hahn. So you can take it to the bank. It is 100% true.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)

It's pretty much what Andrew Miller and Rick Porcello got. It's a major league deal but that just means they have to be added to the 40 man roster and paid a major league wage, Dayan doesn't accrue any major league service time while playing for Birmingham so he'll be under team control for 6 major league seasons. I think everyone assumed there was a sign/release clause in both deals similar to that of a Japanese free agent but there isn't and that's why this is such big news.