Draft Profile - Kyle Gibson, RHP, Missouri

danman31

Kyle likely won't be available by the time the Sox pick in the 1st round, but there's a shot so I'll post this since I've seen him pitch for 3 years. Here's a decent scouting report on him. I say decent because I've watched guns on him and typically he is sitting at 92, not topping out there. Otherwise, I say the report is accurate. Average (at best) life to his fastball, but he is able to spot the pitch. Kyle's slider is his best pitch. It's awesome. Personally, I think he might end up being a really good Major League reliever. He is very good, but the thing I would be worried about is whether or not he can develop a changeup and add some movement to his fastball. If he can get a changeup, he could probably live with a mostly straight fastball considering he locates it. I've been saying he won't make it as a Major League starter since I saw the straight fastball so we will see what happens with Kyle.

Live video of his start in the Big 12 Tourney against Texas A&M is available, but it's not working consistently. [http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&KEY=&ATCLID=1524108]Link (Click watch game live)[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Gibson has a stress fracture in his pitching arm and won't be able to throw for 6 weeks. My roommate covered the team for the local paper and was calling this for a while. Gibson's velocity had dropped his last few starts. He was in the high 80s in the regional, but pitched really well anyway. I'm not a huge fan of his relative to some of the ratings. BA has him #4 on their draft prospects list, which I think is high, but if he fell to the Sox I'd take him in a heartbeat.

This matters because he might fall to the Sox now. BA link

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Gibson has a stress fracture in his pitching arm and won't be able to throw for 6 weeks. My roommate covered the team for the local paper and was calling this for a while. Gibson's velocity had dropped his last few starts. He was in the high 80s in the regional, but pitched really well anyway. I'm not a huge fan of his relative to some of the ratings. BA has him #4 on their draft prospects list, which I think is high, but if he fell to the Sox I'd take him in a heartbeat.

This matters because he might fall to the Sox now. BA link

Should he fall to the Sox, he should be picked by the Sox.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
Should he fall to the Sox, he should be picked by the Sox.

Absolutely. I'm still praying Crow drops, but that won't happen. I think Aaron is a much better pro prospect.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
I mean is it gonna be a re-occuring thing? Is it something to be worried about in the future?

First injury I've heard of. I wouldn't be overly concerned if you see him pitch before signing him. It's not Tommy John surgery right now. It's just a stress fracture that he pitched through and came at the end of the season. I don't think it's a big deal if he can show the same stuff after.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
Is it an injury you get from pitching though? Is it because of his mechanics or what?

I haven't seen anything drastic and I haven't heard of anything from scouting reports. In fact, most scouts seem so rate him higher than I do so I would imagine a top 5 prospect wouldn't have major injury concerns.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Absolutely. I'm still praying Crow drops, but that won't happen. I think Aaron is a much better pro prospect.

I always used to tell you how much I liked Gibson, but not as the 4th best prospect in the draft. BA is f***ing nuts. However, with the Sox pick, it would be a great pick up assuming all his medical checks out okay. He might drop down to us though and I'd take a shot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
I always used to tell you how much I liked Gibson, but not as the 4th best prospect in the draft. BA is f***ing nuts. However, with the Sox pick, it would be a great pick up assuming all his medical checks out okay. He might drop down to us though and I'd take a shot.

Gibson is not going to be a top of the rotation pitcher like BA apparently thinks based on his rating, but I confident, assuming he stays healthy, he becomes an annual 12-15 game winner who around a 4.00 ERA. He strikes out a lot of batters, and doesn't walk man, which suggest he has solid long-term potential and he played in a top baseball conference.

Word is Kyle's UCL (the TJS ligament) is fine and his shoulder is fine. He was in a lot of pain, but pitched through it in regional. He was going to take 4 weeks off from pitching after Mizzou's season ended, but it will now be 6 weeks. It's coming from a biased source, but it sounds positive.