Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
Hudson's K numbers in the minors have been much more impressive.

True, but Slowey did K more than a batter per inning in A-ball. Then he didn't in AAA, but he also kept his command at the higher levels. That's obviously the key for Hudson to keep performing the higher he gets up. I also recall Slowey having solid stuff, too. Time will only tell...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Just woke up 5 minutes ago. I turn to ESPN news and see the Peavy breaking news. I almost croaked. I'm not about to read through 36 pages. Can somebody just answer me is the only obstacle in this trade being completed is Peavy agreeing to it?

Yes, he just needs to waive his NTC.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
I think I'll be fine whether or not this deal goes down.

I'm kind of with you on this. I think it would be a good add, if it doesn't happen it's a good sign that the org and KW will continue to be agressive to improve this team.

The worst part will be temporary and it will be Cubs fans saying how much the Sox suck and nobody wants to play here.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
That is the only obstacle.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Yes, he just needs to waive his NTC.

Bet. If he declines, so be it. But big, big ups to Kenny and co for going for it. And please god let this put to rest once and for f***ing all that the White Sox are a cheap organization or that Kenny doesn't care or whatever dumb s*** we've heard around here in the past.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
Last year, according to BA, he was 88-92, so it's nice to see the improvement in velocity. But still at 92-94, I don't consider him a power pitcher. He has got a lot of Kevin Slowey in him, IMO.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Kevin-Slowey.shtml

Similar peripheral numbers.

If you've seen him pitch, you'd like him a lot more. The guy has a fluid delivery, plus command (don't know how he got it so quick, but the Sox made some minor adjustments to make his delivery more compact), and a really nice breaking piece. Changeup is coming along nicely and he throws two variations of the fastball, both with good velocity, tops out at 95, but pitches more in the 91-94 MPH range, both have excellent movement, one with some real nice sink.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
I'm just so stoked at how much better our rotation will be with Peavy in it. Even if Floyd does turn out to be a 1 year wonder, we still have our top 3 in the rotation set until at least 2011.

I'll bet that Danks re-signs before then as well.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
Bet. If he declines, so be it. But big, big ups to Kenny and co for going for it. And please god let this put to rest once and for f***ing all that the White Sox are a cheap organization or that Kenny doesn't care or whatever dumb s*** we've heard around here in the past.

Well, I think a big part of the factoring on Kenny's mind is that we will be riding our selves of Contreras, Thome, and possibly Dye's contract next season, freeing up a lot of money.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
just to update opinions in the media, they just played a clip on ESPN 1000 with Olney saying he'll think he'll reject it. He's expressed a desire to stay in the NL and doesn't think that will change... of course he tempered it with saying he could agree due to of being of tired of losing.

I imagine he or his agent will talk to the Pads and ask them what other possabilities are there. If the Pads say they won't just give him away and the Sox package is good and other teams aren't close he'll come. Again, I feel he rejects it, it's taking too long to agree to it.

I know it doesn't mean anything at this point, but the sick of losing thing is funny because currently, the Padres have a better record than the White Sox.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm kind of with you on this. I think it would be a good add, if it doesn't happen it's a good sign that the org and KW will continue to be agressive to improve this team.

The worst part will be temporary and it will be Cubs fans saying how much the Sox suck and nobody wants to play here.

I think it is more of playing in the AL thing than actually playing for the White Sox...but I could be wrong.

This thread might top any of the playoff threads from 2005 by the end of day (by top I mean total posts). This is how you spend your money. I'm glad Kenny is so "cheap." The impact of adding a guy like Peavy to the mix will be felt in so many ways besides what he obviously brings to the team.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)

And then the Sox can say, At least we had a deal agreed to. (under breath) *2005 world series champions*