Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Good pitching is much harder to get than offensive players. See White Sox, 2005. Good starters, good bullpen, mediocre line-up. I don't see much hope for this team if they're running Buehrle and Danks and a bunch of question marks.

For the amount of money we'd be paying Peavy, you can find good pitching. His contact would surely limit KW's ability to bring in "star" players to fill in some of the other holes we're going to have (right field!). There's a ton of red flags involved with Peavy, including contract/elbow issues last year/NL West/no DH anymore/Petco. Also, don't forget he rivals Javy Vazquez in terms of clutch performance.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
Has this not been posted yet? It's been up for a bit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4191562

That's the article that kills the deal. Jake the Pussy doesn't even do his own pussyfooting around, he has to let his agent do it for him.

"Uh, yeah, um... we think that maybe the AL is too scary and we've heard that Ozzie is a big meany."

-Barry Axelrod

again, it could be negotiating tactics on his agents behalf, basically, pick up the option or he won't OK it... however, even if the Sox say no, I could see a possability that his agent goes to Peavy and tells him it's still a good position and if you're waiting on another team, it may never happen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
I disagree. In fact, the guys on the Score thought from the beginning this whole thing was a White Sox publicity stunt. I don't agree with them, but supposedly agreeing to acquire the biggest name pitcher available is not going to hurt them.

I don't understand how the Sox posting the biggest in-season trade since the Freddy Garcia deal on their web site, getting the fan base all riled up, and then dropping the truth on them like a load of bricks is going to sell tickets and merchandise. If anything, it makes Kenny and the Sox front office look disingenuous and low-class. Not to mention desperate for attention.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
This could get really ugly. If Peavy thinks another team from the NL is going to jump in and steal Peavy, he has another thing coming. This could get ugly, and the Sox can't do anything about it.

The Pads are a great example of how NTC can hurt you, it seems Peavy is flexing his and Giles already flexed his. This is a team that has two contracts they wanted out of town and they're on their roster

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
Has this not been posted yet? It's been up for a bit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4191562

Here's the thing: if he really doesn't want to move to the AL, then why are the Padres even discussing anything with the Sox?

I'm doubtful this deal gets done. It doesn't sound like Peavy will make any decision any time soon, but it cannot simply be to stay in the NL. I think that ship has sailed for the Padres.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
For the amount of money we'd be paying Peavy, you can find good pitching. His contact would surely limit KW's ability to bring in "star" players to fill in some of the other holes we're going to have (right field!).

Oh really? Please name at least one other player with Peavy's track record and stuff who the Sox could acquire for less money? I am not seeing anyone.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
This could get really ugly. If Peavy thinks another team from the NL is going to jump in and steal Peavy, he has another thing coming. This could get ugly, and the Sox can't do anything about it.

Not to mention now teams are going to come in and low ball the Padres. If I'm San Diego, and Peavy really axed this deal (whatever it was), I don't trade him again to any team unless they get the same value, regardless of what Peavy tells them.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Not to mention now teams are going to come in and low ball the Padres. If I'm San Diego, and Peavy really axed this deal (whatever it was), I don't trade him again to any team unless they get the same value, regardless of what Peavy tells them.

They've kind of done that already, because if they were just willing to take average for him and dump his salary he would be on the Cubs already

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Oh really? Please name at least one other player with Peavy's track record and stuff who the Sox could acquire for less money? I am not seeing anyone.

I agree. And moreover, the Sox have something like $60 million coming off the books this winter. I don't see Peavy's contract being a problem.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)

If the Sox are willing to take on that much money and willing to give up the prospects that have been mentioned, they could realistically be involved with a lot of marquee names (guys like Oswalt who could be available).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't think Peavy has any problem with leaving either. In fact, coming to Chicago isn't the problem. Peavy having to face the big bad DH seems to be putting the kibosh on all of this.

It sucks because the Sox have done all they can do. It's out of their control right now.

Which is why I don't think the Sox would take a PR hit if he says no.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Score has Padres announcer on, and he doesn't think anything is imminent. Again he's citing the AL problem.

well if multiple sources are saying the AL thing, to me, it's a real issue for him.

I think the one glimmer of hope is that the Pads, Sox or Peavy's agent haven't come out and flat out said it's a dead deal.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
What the Cubs offered was trash though

right, so they're not willing to just dump him for a salary dump and to please him. They've shown they will keep paying him until something works out for them player wise

The longer it goes on, the more likely I think it is that Peavy accepts the deal.

First instinct is to resist change (unless you hate the situation).

But as time goes on I think Peavy will start to realize that if its not the Sox it will be some other team.

Last year if the Sox had Peavy who knows what happens.