Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (SmashROT @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
If this is seriously the deal breaker, all I see him as is gutless. Any pitcher that doesn't welcome a challenge and opportunity to prove himself is someone I just can't respect... even if that pitcher is a perrenial Cy Young candidate.

Not really, you don't see FA pitchers jumping to go to Colorado or Texas unless they get significantly more money.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Why would Peavy be leery of USCF but love to pitch in Wrigley? It makes zero sense.

well 1 out of 9 hitters isn't a pitcher in USCF, and the talent level in the AL is also higher, and USCF is a better hitters park than Wrigley is....so it makes some sense

Why would Peavy be leery of USCF but love to pitch in Wrigley? It makes zero sense.

I think he's leery of the AL period, which gives me concerns. Levine was talking about how basically last year he said only a trade to Houston, Cubs and one other NL team that slips my mind, and basically said no to Angels, Red Sox and NYY. As much as I would like to have him, if he says no because of the AL or Cell issue, then I wouldn't want him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Not really, you don't see FA pitchers jumping to go to Colorado or Texas unless they get significantly more money.

Can anyone think of the last player to not choose either Chicago club because of having to play in the greatness that is Chicago?

I was just thinking that. The only thing that would make sense is if he likes hitting. Looking at his career stats, he's a decent hitting pitcher, but nothing special.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
But but Wrigley has history...and Ivy... :lolhitting

lol!

Well, I posted it earlier, but this thing is getting so much action it doesn't hurt to repost. Levine said that until the Cubs are sold they won't be adding any payroll, he said "not one dime". So, the Cubs aren't a realistic possability until they're sold, and then they need the prospects and it's a question of what type of financial position the team will be in once the deal is done. Don't forget, the Cubs have alot of backloaded contracts for the next few years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
Maybe Kenny has a deal for Oswalt or someone else of the like if this falls through?

Oswalt isn't as good of a fit. I think Kenny is looking for someone that will still be in there prime for the next 3-5 years. I also think that means no Doc Halladay. I still wish they could get involved in a 3 team deal and land someone like Matt Cain.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
Maybe they really are trying to get us to accept his option years.

If I was Peavy and/or his agent, I'd certainly give it a shot. Why not?

Anyone know, is it an all-or-nothing sort of deal on the option? Could the two sides compromise, and say, just agree to guarantee more of the money for that year or raise the buyout?

I imagine the AL concerns are at least a bit of a negotiating tactic.

Edited by bighurt574