Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
There it is. End of the day it's all about the mean green.

makes a ton of sense, if the AL/Cell was the real problem it would be a flat out denial right away.

It will be interesting, but I don't the Sox will do it unless Pads throw in like 5 million to offset the bump in salary

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
What I said awhile ago.

You can forget about it. There is no way in hell JR approves a $22 mill contract.

If they've gone this far, I don't know if its a deal breaker. Might just mean the Sox get some cash or give up a bit less in terms of prospects. Just my speculation, but given all of his past demands the Sox can't be shocked that he's asking for that and my guess is all of the comments and the stall tactics are pretty much him trying to gain leverage.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
This is so gay if the deal falls through because we wouldn't guarantee his 2013 option.

Classic BearSox.

2013 is f***ing 4 years away. Anything can happen with a pitcher. $22 million would cripple this franchise... even if he plays well. That's f***ing Manny money. If the Sox picked this up, I'd be livid.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
If its purely about money I think the Sox are tempted by it.

2013 is 4 years away, by then most of their big contracts will be off the books. They will have plenty of time to structure their payroll around Peavy's salary.

But thats just how I think.

This just means no Thome, Contreras or Dotel. Which is pretty much what we agreed too all along.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
If its purely about money I think the Sox are tempted by it.

2013 is 4 years away, by then most of their big contracts will be off the books. They will have plenty of time to structure their payroll around Peavy's salary.

But thats just how I think.

it helps that he would be 31 that year and not mid 30's...

I would imagine this has already been decided amongst the Sox brass, there's no way this caught them off guard, the thing that intrigues me is the "for starters" part

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Classic BearSox.

2013 is f***ing 4 years away. Anything can happen with a pitcher. $22 million would cripple this franchise... even if he plays well. That's f***ing Manny money. If the Sox picked this up, I'd be livid.

It's a risk you gotta take if you want to get a true no. 1 pitcher.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Classic BearSox.

It's 1 year. I would do it.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
via deluca twitter

I figured that back when the Cubs wanted him. That was probably the only team he wouldn't require the option picked up for.

Honestly though, KW had to know that would be a condition. So I don't know if it's a deal breaker yet.