Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
$22M for Peavy in '13?? That would be insanity, not to menthat DeLuca said that was the START of sweeteners.

It's probably trips to see family and stuff like that.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Remember....there's a $4 million buyout there as it currently stands.....so it would only be guaranteeing an additional $18 million (still not a bad salary for a true ace in todays game)

I love it when you analyze.

I'm back in. DO it b****es.

To guarantee $22 million four years from now is pretty stupid for any pitcher, let alone one coming from the NL. If they end up agreeing to it, I just hope Peavy wants it more so he knows he'll be in Chicago for an extra year, rather than strictly for the extra cash.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Their's a story from San Diego about Peavy not showing up at the gym today. Ok, now this is just getting weird.

He's kinda busy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
$22 million would cripple this franchise

Not really. It would mean that the Sox wouldn't be able to re-sign Buehrle, but this isn't the $100 million that the Rockies gave Hampton or anything.

I'm not sure if I would do this, but it's financially-doable.

Personally I think the Sox probably knew that the option had to be picked up. And they are just trying it without the option first, so that they then could "tempt" him with the option. Even though from the beginning they were fine with the option.

It just makes no sense to go this far without being fully committed.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
Not really. It would mean that the Sox wouldn't be able to re-sign Buehrle, but this isn't the $100 million that the Rockies gave Hampton or anything.

I'm not sure if I would do this, but it's financially-doable.

I agree, like I said, the Pads could always throw in a little cash to make the average salary the same and they get a better PTBNL

QUOTE (Molto @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
To guarantee $22 million four years from now is pretty stupid for any pitcher, let alone one coming from the NL. If they end up agreeing to it, I just hope Peavy wants it more so he knows he'll be in Chicago for an extra year, rather than strictly for the extra cash.

He'll be making 17 million guaranteed no matter what in 3 years anyway.

It's a lot of money, but if you want a true ace, that's the price you have to pay now a days.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
He'll be making 17 million guaranteed no matter what in 3 years anyway.

It's a lot of money, but if you want a true ace, that's the price you have to pay now a days.

That's only if you're confident he'll be a true ACE with the Sox, and four years from now at that.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
$22M for Peavy in '13?? That would be insanity, not to menthat DeLuca said that was the START of sweeteners.

Starting and ending point to me take it or leave it JP!

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
As i said since page 1, he will not be coming here.

Focus on the game, cause the story is a non issue!!

Oh your right...I should just go on TMZ. this is soooo uninteresting.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Classic BearSox.

2013 is f***ing 4 years away. Anything can happen with a pitcher. $22 million would cripple this franchise... even if he plays well. That's f***ing Manny money. If the Sox picked this up, I'd be livid.

If KW went into this without thinking he'd have to pick up the option then he wasn't thinking things through. There are certain players the organization is willing to make a leap for, and Peavy is one of them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
Personally I think the Sox probably knew that the option had to be picked up. And they are just trying it without the option first, so that they then could "tempt" him with the option. Even though from the beginning they were fine with the option.

It just makes no sense to go this far without being fully committed.

Unless as someone else stated, it's a PR move by Kenny to show the fans he's "trying".