Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
Look at how good Zito, Hudson, and Mulder were when they went to the NL.

Sure, there is something to the ERA goes up in the AL, that'll happen when you face no pitchers, but a lot is being made out of nothing. In the end, it was about green, and the Sox had to know it'd come to that option.

great point, and some people act like the Sox offense won't be hitting in the Cell and the other factors don't even out. I know it's a crude stat, but ERA+ helps guide some of this. His fb/gb ratio isn't the best but his K ratio is very good.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
If we had put a good showing today against the Twins, I would have to imagine that could have helped a little.

He wouldn't make this 4 year decision based on one game with the back of our rotation starter going against a team we already won the series against

Probably wants Kevin Brown stuff like use of private plane etc.

At this point your either in or your out (if youre the Sox).

The biggest concern should be talent, money is an issue but if you can afford him this year and the next, you do it and let everything else work itself out.

As people have said the Sox have a lot of salary that will come off the books during his contract.

Jake Peavy picks up remote while talking to family.

"Hey gang, I think the White Sox are playing! Let's see how good they're doing and how many fans are there!"

Turns on MLB Extra Innings... Sox down 7-0, about 8k fans there.

"Ummmm. Call up my agent. That's a no."

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
I dont think this team is good enough to come back from a 6.5 game deficit. I'm not so sure this is a good idea.

well if you believe the rumors he would be here 10, 11, 12 and 13 with MB for a good portion of that with the Sox having Danks under at a minimum arb, so it's not all about this year.

Also, if they could get within 3-4 on their own and set their rotation so the Tigers see a good helping of MB, Danks and Peavy they have a shot

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Levine just stated on ESPNNews that Peavy wants the limited no trade clause extended through the contract in addition to guaranteeing the final year (and possibly turned into a full no trade clause).

I don't see the full NTC panning out, but I could definitely see Kenny extending the limited NTC and guaranteeing the final year.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
Levine just stated on ESPNNews that Peavy wants the limited no trade clause extended through the contract in addition to guaranteeing the final year (and possibly turned into a full no trade clause).

That's fine. He won't get a full NTC, but this is all bargaining now. Obviously he will say that he wants everything.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Jake Peavy picks up remote while talking to family.

"Hey gang, I think the White Sox are playing! Let's see how good they're doing and how many fans are there!"

Turns on MLB Extra Innings... Sox down 7-0, about 8k fans there.

"Ummmm. Call up my agent. That's a no."

The Padres don't exactly draw right now on day games during the week with school still in session.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
Probably wants Kevin Brown stuff like use of private plane etc.

At this point your either in or your out (if youre the Sox).

The biggest concern should be talent, money is an issue but if you can afford him this year and the next, you do it and let everything else work itself out.

As people have said the Sox have a lot of salary that will come off the books during his contract.

Lets start a thread!

Can someone summarize briefly these three points so I don't have to sift through 71 pages:

1) what is the likely package we are giving up?

2) what aspects of this trade would be attractive to peavy, beyond one-time recent world series winner with a mostly different core of players now?

3) has anyone given any indication as to how long he plans to mull this over?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
He wouldn't make this 4 year decision based on one game with the back of our rotation starter going against a team we already won the series against

Well that's not what I said. If the Sox played better today, it might look a little better to him and show that we are starting to get back on track. Even if we get Peavy, we still have two horrible pitchers in the rotation. I am fairly obviously not stating that his decision is solely based on this game. But it could help a little bit. Maybe that little bit is not measurable or so inconsequential, but it could help. People need to learn to read better on this site.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
I dont think this team is good enough to come back from a 6.5 game deficit. I'm not so sure this is a good idea.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Even with Peavy, we still have a ton of holes. I really hope he declines this deal.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
That's fine. He won't get a full NTC, but this is all bargaining now.

That's what I'm thinking. If Levine's information is accurate, I think that they come to terms soon.