Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

If this deal falls through because the Sox aren't willing to guarantee the final year... ugh. As a fan, I say get this deal done, no matter the cost, and move on from there. It's not every day you have the opportunity to bring in a solid ace to anchor your rotation around for the next 3-4 years. Peavy would be a huge boost to our team, and our fan base. Do it, Kenny. Just do it.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
Can someone summarize briefly these three points so I don't have to sift through 71 pages:

1) what is the likely package we are giving up?

2) what aspects of this trade would be attractive to peavy, beyond one-time recent world series winner with a mostly different core of players now?

3) has anyone given any indication as to how long he plans to mull this over?

1. We don't know, but it involves Poreda and Richard.

2. Money

3. No, but the Sox want an answer today because he is supposed to pitch tomorrow.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Even with Peavy, we still have a ton of holes. I really hope he declines this deal.

This deal isn't just for this year. It's for the next 4. And with the players in AA coming up soon, I think it's a deal that has to be made if given the opportunity. This isn't a mid-season, lets see if we can win this year...it's a early season pickup in a winnable division that will help the team for years to come.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
If this deal falls through because the Sox aren't willing to guarantee the final year... ugh. As a fan, I say get this deal done, no matter the cost, and move on from there. It's not every day you have the opportunity to bring in a solid ace to anchor your rotation around for the next 3-4 years. Peavy would be a huge boost to our team, and our fan base. Do it, Kenny. Just do it.

That 22 million is way, way too much.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Can someone summarize briefly these three points so I don't have to sift through 71 pages:

1) what is the likely package we are giving up?

2) what aspects of this trade would be attractive to peavy, beyond one-time recent world series winner with a mostly different core of players now?

3) has anyone given any indication as to how long he plans to mull this over?

1) Poreda, Richard, and two lower-value prospect

2) Peavy has come back and asked for his 2013 option to be picked up ($22 million) and for the limited no-trade to be extended throughout the life of the contract

3) Should have a decision today.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
MY GAWD JAKE....MAKE A f***ING DECISION...I f***ING LOVE YOU...JAY CUTLER LOVES YOU...THE SAN DIEGO ZOO IS OVERRATED I WAS JUST THERE...NICK SWISHER ISNT HERE...WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED...

I respectfully disagree. The San Diego zoo has the cute chick with the parrot that talks to AC Slater on "Pet Star."

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Even with Peavy, we still have a ton of holes. I really hope he declines this deal.

It's not like Peavy will be a FA after this year. We'll have him until at least 2013, and most of the players we are planning on filling holes on the roster with are in the system.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
This deal isn't just for this year. It's for the next 4. And with the players in AA coming up soon, I think it's a deal that has to be made if given the opportunity. This isn't a mid-season, lets see if we can win this year...it's a early season pickup in a winnable division that will help the team for years to come.

And what in the last 2 decade of Sox baseball has made you think our players from the minors will be close to above average in their first 2-3 years? I love Slayer more than anyone, but there will be a learning curve for these guys I'm sure. I just worry about our offense the next couple of years, and would rather we use more of the money to get a leadoff hitter, etc.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
MY GAWD JAKE....MAKE A f***ING DECISION...I f***ING LOVE YOU...JAY CUTLER LOVES YOU...THE SAN DIEGO ZOO IS OVERRATED I WAS JUST THERE...NICK SWISHER ISNT HERE...WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED...

lol, it seems that he made it, if Sox pay he's on the mound against Pit this weekend

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)

Unless Peavy insists on a full NTC through the remainder of his deal, I agree.

Salary-wise, the Sox would be basically giving Peavy a little less than what Thome and Dye are currently making. And as much as I like Thome and Dye, a legitimate shut-down ace is more valuable.

fathom, you know as well as i do though that this deal wouldn't really be a deal for just 2009....it puts another stud pitcher at the top of KWs three year board....your 1-4 is basically set for the next 4 years, and you can work from there...especially if we can add one bat via free agency and develop another bat or two (beckham, flowers, allen, etc)

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
I respectfully disagree. The San Diego zoo has the cute chick with the parrot that talks to AC Slater on "Pet Star."

It's overpriced ($35 per day), but not at all overrated.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
And what in the last 2 decade of Sox baseball has made you think our players from the minors will be close to above average in their first 2-3 years? I love Slayer more than anyone, but there will be a learning curve for these guys I'm sure. I just worry about our offense the next couple of years, and would rather we use more of the money to get a leadoff hitter, etc.

Yeah, I'd rather have Figgins than Peavy also.

LOL, you dont think the Sox could come back from a 6 game deficit with not even 1/4 of the season over? Hilarious. Why DO you watch the White Sox?

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
It's overpriced ($35 per day), but not at all overrated.

The zoo's we have here in Chicago are better and I am usually quick too take a s*** on anything we have here over anything in California so thats saying something.