Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (qwerty @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Blessing in disguise.

its possible....either way the guy is a p**** for not wanting to play in the AL...sack up...if you are the best of the best you should prove it

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
To be fair, the Sox have always been cheap when it comes to pitching and not wanting to overspend on huge long-term to deals. And the Sox have usually been right in their dealings with pitching.

Then why get into bed with the Padres?

Now we have traded off our top two pitching prospects. Peavy will be traded eventually, but cant be good for the confidence of our kids.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
I honestly believe Peavy believes the Braves or Cubs will trade for him. He will continue to be a coward until he can go to those teams. At least this saves someone from calling him the White Javy.

They simply dont have the player to entice the Pads and dont have the money to guarantee him those years. He is SOL.

QUOTE (qwerty @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Blessing in disguise.

Maybe in four years, but he certainly gives this team a much needed boost now and for at least the next three years. But it's tough to guarantee that much money to someone who is gonna have lots of wear and tear on his arm in four years.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Someone posted on here a while ago the history of major long term pitching contracts and how they worked out. Historically it really shows that it is not worth it. Good call JR.

Fixed

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
its possible....either way the guy is a p**** for not wanting to play in the AL...sack up...if you are the best of the best you should prove it

I received 8 texts from Cubs fans in the last 5 minutes.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
I honestly believe Peavy believes the Braves or Cubs will trade for him. He will continue to be a coward until he can go to those teams. At least this saves someone from calling him the White Javy.

Cubs would have a hard time since their payroll is frozen until the sale is done and even then Ricketts (?) is already scrambling, they won't have a ton of payroll flexability

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Then why get into bed with the Padres?

Now we have traded off our top two pitching prospects. Peavy will be traded eventually, but cant be good for the confidence of our kids.

True, but it's not like they were offered for some s*** pitcher. They were offered as the centerpiece for Peavy. It could give them a boost, too. Both guys seem to have tough skin and realize it's part of the game, maybe they will pitch better. On the other hand, a guy with Floyd's mentality would shrivel down into suckitude after something like this.

If it's because the Sox don't want to pick up the option, it's not a bad thing. If a guy who's making millions needs a more millions to play in a league he doesn't want to play in, then it's a good thing. Why would you want a player whose only reason for being on your team is extra cash?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
Cubs would have a hard time since their payroll is frozen until the sale is done and even then Ricketts (?) is already scrambling, they won't have a ton of payroll flexability

Cubs also have screwed themselves with their long-term deals for players that aren't close to being worthy of them right now: Fuku, Bradley, Z, Lee...

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
I received 8 texts from Cubs fans in the last 5 minutes.

What could they possibly be saying? He's not going there either.

I am a little annoyed that they went into this not expecting to pick up that option

Well, not going to take Cowley's word for it just yet...

But this doesn't kill me. I would have liked to have him in a selfish way, but I do agree with many that this deal very likely could have spelled trouble down the road...