Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Yeah I know, but... it just seems so not Kenny, after Peavy turned them down that way.

The Hunter situation was "worse" if you believe reports, the Sox thought it was done, the LAA threw huge money at him, at I believe DJ says a taco stand in LA, and he signed with them and KW didn't flip out. The Sox had to know this was a possability.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
Who the PRBNL's are definitely matters. If its Hudson and Ely, that's a pretty big haul to add to Poreda and Richard. If its Levi Maxwell and John Lowe, then who bloody cares. My guess is it would end up being guys between those sets.

There's like 2 or 3 of our current pitchers that...if they were on the PTBNL list...I can't figure out why the Padres would have wanted them as PTBNL's instead of just taking them now and getting them in to their system (Hudson is at the top of that list)...unless either they think that the guy is an injury risk or they really like our pitching coaches and hate theirs. If Hudson was on the PTBNL list, why in the world wouldn't they have just taken him?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Sweet Steve, would appreciate an update of what he says.

I'm not listening to it, but I'll give it a guess...

Not afraid of the AL, but he's a better fit for the NL, White Sox are great and it was a tough decision, he could revisit it at any time, no money specifics were talked about.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I'm not listening to it, but I'll give it a guess...

Not afraid of the AL, but he's a better fit for the NL, White Sox are great and it was a tough decision, he could revisit it at any time, no money specifics were talked about.

I heard it went exactly how you predicted except he threw out how much he would love playing for the Cubs at the end. I'm sorry, I have no problem with a guy using his NTC for whatever reason, but to throw Cubbie love in at the end is BS. I now hate Jake Peavy and Barry Axelrod.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
I heard it went exactly how you predicted except he threw out how much he would love playing for the Cubs at the end. I'm sorry, I have no problem with a guy using his NTC for whatever reason, but to throw Cubbie love in at the end is BS. I now hate Jake Peavy and Barry Axelrod.

Yeah, that's kind of silly, especially since the Cubs are absolutely behind the 8-ball for getting him because 1) they don't have the players and 2) the most important reason, as per Levine and other sources, they absolutely cannot add one dime in payroll until the sale is 100% complete and even after that, there are concerns about Ricketts being able to add any payroll

Axelrod said that Peavy asked KW some pointed questions. About Dye being traded, Thome's Future, ETC, and was well aware of Danks' and Floyd's potential. IT was also said that Peavy picked up the phone ready to say no, and that KW nearly convinced him.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
Axelrod said that Peavy asked KW some pointed questions. About Dye being traded, Thome's Future, ETC, and was well aware of Danks' and Floyd's potential. IT was also said that Peavy picked up the phone ready to say no, and that KW nearly convinced him.

Hmmm...coming from the agent. I don't buy it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)

I'm curious, how open did he leave the door if at all? Did he basically puke-up his statement from last night? (which I expect and understand)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
The door sounded closed. Peavy wants to go to the NL.

Yeah, I think Gammons comments yesterday about how he basicall told the Pads last year he wouldn't even really consider the Angels, NYY or Red Sox kind of points to that too.

Well, it will be interesting, he negotiated the NTC and the Pads gave it to him, so he has every right to dictate where he goes. At this point though, it might have to wait until the offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
There's like 2 or 3 of our current pitchers that...if they were on the PTBNL list...I can't figure out why the Padres would have wanted them as PTBNL's instead of just taking them now and getting them in to their system (Hudson is at the top of that list)...unless either they think that the guy is an injury risk or they really like our pitching coaches and hate theirs. If Hudson was on the PTBNL list, why in the world wouldn't they have just taken him?

THey probably hadn't finished scouting the system so my guess is there were a list of guys they would watch further and than make a decision on. Not too surprising, especially when it comes to lower level prospects as typically its much harder to get a read on them and for the most part opposing organizations probably know less on them as they haven't been around for a couple of years.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)

Very interesting and I give Peavy credit. That is the type of stuff you should ask if your in his shoes. Those are the calls I'd love to be on cause it gives you a big idea on the future of the club. My guess is Peavy takes a few days to think about it and at that point its probably on the backburner for good unless Peavy has a change of heart.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
Yeah, I think Gammons comments yesterday about how he basicall told the Pads last year he wouldn't even really consider the Angels, NYY or Red Sox kind of points to that too.

That's pretty weak. Seriously, who wouldn't want to pitch for a perennial contender like the Red Sox, Yankees, or Angels?

If he's really that reluctant to pitch in the AL, you've got to wonder what kind of competitor he is. This could be Javy Vazquez all over again.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)

The interesting thing about this point is that I don't know how you question Kenny's desire to build a winning team. First of all, if he is acquiring you, the $17 million a year pitcher, he obviously is committed to winning. Secondly, the guy has a track record, perhaps more so than any other GM in the game, of stepping up and trying to acquire impact players (impact superstars, actually), including yourself. Thirdly, he brought a World Series title in 05' to a City that has not had one in a bazillion years, and follows that up by trading for Jim Thome less than a month later. The desire and capacity to produce a winning ballclub is clearly there.

I dunno, I don't blame the guy for making the decision he made. I agree with Jason...the guy has earned the right to make these sorts of decisions, and any one of us would have exercised that right had we earned it in our jobs. And I guess I don't blame him for asking about personnel decisions on our side....but if the question is whether Kenny wants (and will do what it takes) to produce a winning ballclub, then man, I think I would have been tempted to buy into the guy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
The interesting thing about this point is that I don't know how you question Kenny's desire to build a winning team. First of all, if he is acquiring you, the $17 million a year pitcher, he obviously is committed to winning. Secondly, the guy has a track record, perhaps more so than any other GM in the game, of stepping up and trying to acquire impact players (impact superstars, actually), including yourself. Thirdly, he brought a World Series title in 05' to a City that has not had one in a bazillion years, and follows that up by trading for Jim Thome less than a month later. The desire and capacity to produce a winning ballclub is clearly there.

I dunno, I don't blame the guy for making the decision he made. I agree with Jason...the guy has earned the right to make these sorts of decisions, and any one of us would have exercised that right had we earned it in our jobs. And I guess I don't blame him for asking about personnel decisions on our side....but if the question is whether Kenny wants (and will do what it takes) to produce a winning ballclub, then man, I think I would have been tempted to buy into the guy.

I think you are right on about anyone questioning KW's desire to win. Does he always get it right? No, but what GMs do? He's won 2 divisions and a GD World Series in the last 5 years, that's alot better than most teams have done. As a Sox fan I am pretty confident with the salary coming off and a good farm system with possibly four more quality picks coming in in a few weeks KW will give this team a great chance to win in the next few years, Peavy or no Peavy.

Hawk didn't think the deal would get done because of the NTC. Seems like the White Sox were swinging hard in case they hit it and they missed. Although I suppose there still is a chance this gets done, I find it extremely doubtful.

BTW, a guy I work with works out at the same gym as Mayor Daley. His grandfather was an alderman so he has conversations with him. Regarding the 2016 Olympic bid..........if Chicago gets the bid, Mayor Daley will be the most surprised guy in town.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
Time to move on.

Yup, Im sure KW has a back up plan. The good news is that now other GM's see what we are willing to offer for a good player and may be proactively calling KW offering those players. You could probably get a good arm for nothing more than Richard and 2 lower level prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Hawk didn't think the deal would get done because of the NTC. Seems like the White Sox were swinging hard in case they hit it and they missed. Although I suppose there still is a chance this gets done, I find it extremely doubtful.

BTW, a guy I work with works out at the same gym as Mayor Daley. His grandfather was an alderman so he has conversations with him. Regarding the 2016 Olympic bid..........if Chicago gets the bid, Mayor Daley will be the most surprised guy in town.

Interesting, I know that it seems like Chicago has lost momentum in the last few months, it doesn't help that CNN is running multiple stories about how school age kids are getting gunned down at a high rate in Chicago, but I was curious at how insider still felt.

I would guess the USOC will ask Obama for one final push in some form of speech or something near the end and see how it goes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)

Well said. And I would like to add...he's not acquiring you to trade you for more pieces (that hasn't been Kenny's M.O.). The team wants you here for years to build another championship team. So, to give him the opt out clause after every year would be ludicrous. Both he and the Padres have made their bed, and they have to lie in it. What I would really appreciate from him, or any one in Peavy's position, is to stop talking about the team. You don't want to do what's best for the Padres. You want to do what's best for you...and that's ok. But, what's best for the Padres is for you to get out of town for the best package possible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)

Another reason to fire Greg Walker.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Well said. And I would like to add...he's not acquiring you to trade you for more pieces (that hasn't been Kenny's M.O.). The team wants you here for years to build another championship team. So, to give him the opt out clause after every year would be ludicrous. Both he and the Padres have made their bed, and they have to lie in it. What I would really appreciate from him, or any one in Peavy's position, is to stop talking about the team. You don't want to do what's best for the Padres. You want to do what's best for you...and that's ok. But, what's best for the Padres is for you to get out of town for the best package possible.

I couldn't agree more. I'm perfectly OK with him exercising this clause as I was when Giles rejected the Red Sox last year, I don't feel bad for the Pads, they gave it to them. However, as you said, don't run around saying you want to do what's best for the Pads, becasue if that's true, he would be in black & white today.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
I stand by my belief that Peavy thinks he'll eventually get traded to the Cubs. I also believe he wouldn't make them guarantee the option as well. Cubbie blue has poisoned him it seems.

All signs point to that happening at the earliest in the offseason because it doesn't sound like the finalization of the selling is right around the corner... even then, the recent scramble by the new owners isn't a good sign for great payroll flexability, and that team has a ton of $$ on the books to declining players... But, he got the NTC, he has a right to sit out and wait in SD.

There were reports though that ANY move, even to the NL, have to include a pickup of the option and a NTC for the rest of the deal.

Edited by SoxFan562004