Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Why hasn't anyone picked up on this??? Without a three way deal, sending some very good players out of Wrigley, the Cubs can't afford Jake Peavy. Heck its not even that they can't afford him, they don't even have anyone to ask if they can raise the payroll right now. Do you really think a bankruptcy court is going to authorize the Tribune to spend $11 million without any extra revenue coming from this deal? Uh, no. Ricketts couldn't do anything even if he wanted to, until the deal is approved, and from the sounds of it, he is having problems raising the billion dollars or so that they bid for the team because of the recession.

Peavy's options are a lot more limited than he thinks right now.

I think people don't report it because they need listerns, page hits and to sell papers and magazines, but I'm just a conspiracy nut sometimes when it comes to the Cubs!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Verducci,

I respect you as an MLB writer, but I have to strongly disagree with you on how you portrayed the White Sox in relation to the Jake Peavy deal. First, I 100% agree with you that they aren't in the greatest shape this year, there is no denying that, but the Peavy deal isn't about just this year.

The White Sox have 40 million dollars in payroll coming off the books after this year, even with adding Peavy it would be over 20m of flexability. They have Mark Buehrle and Jon Danks signed or under control for the next three years. They have a farm system that is getting praise from national outlets plus 4 more high picks coming in early June. Not to mention they have a GM and owners who have won 2 division and a WS in the last 5 years and have made every effort to put a winning team on the field year after year. Does it always pan out? No, but what team outside of the NYY and the Braves of the 90's does it? Also, shortsighted, adding Peavy to Buehrle and an offense that might improve, they could have made a legit run this year.

Again, this year doesn't look promising, but I feel you completely sold the White Sox as a franchise undeservingly short.

What I wrote to Verducci... it's more of a generic mailbag submisison thing, so I doubt he will see it, probably gets screened by interns and it's not "Aren't the Yankees and Red Sox awesome?!?!? Please elaborate!!"

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Mr. Verducci,

I respect you as an MLB writer, but I have to strongly disagree with you on how you portrayed the White Sox in relation to the Jake Peavy deal. First, I 100% agree with you that they aren't in the greatest shape this year, there is no denying that, but the Peavy deal isn't about just this year.

The White Sox have 40 million dollars in payroll coming off the books after this year, even with adding Peavy it would be over 20m of flexability. They have Mark Buehrle and Jon Danks signed or under control for the next three years. They have a farm system that is getting praise from national outlets plus 4 more high picks coming in early June. Not to mention they have a GM and owners who have won 2 division and a WS in the last 5 years and have made every effort to put a winning team on the field year after year. Does it always pan out? No, but what team outside of the NYY and the Braves of the 90's does it? Also, shortsighted, adding Peavy to Buehrle and an offense that might improve, they could have made a legit run this year.

Again, this year doesn't look promising, but I feel you completely sold the White Sox as a franchise undeservingly short.

What I wrote to Verducci... it's more of a generic mailbag submisison thing, so I doubt he will see it, probably gets screened by interns and it's not "Aren't the Yankees and Red Sox awesome?!?!? Please elaborate!!"

*thumbs up*

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Mr. Verducci,

I would have spelled it "John" Danks.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
I would have spelled it "John" Danks.

Yeah, I realized it right when I hit submit, but I imagine he'll get the point. One of my bosses I clerked for in law school spelled it Jon and I wrote a vast majority of his letters, so train of thought, it comes out as that

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Yeah, I realized it right when I hit submit, but I imagine he'll get the point. One of my bosses I clerked for in law school spelled in Jon and I wrote a vast majority of his letters, so train of thought, it comes out as that

Ha, no biggie. He'll get the point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Why hasn't anyone picked up on this??? Without a three way deal, sending some very good players out of Wrigley, the Cubs can't afford Jake Peavy. Heck its not even that they can't afford him, they don't even have anyone to ask if they can raise the payroll right now. Do you really think a bankruptcy court is going to authorize the Tribune to spend $11 million without any extra revenue coming from this deal? Uh, no. Ricketts couldn't do anything even if he wanted to, until the deal is approved, and from the sounds of it, he is having problems raising the billion dollars or so that they bid for the team because of the recession.

Peavy's options are a lot more limited than he thinks right now.

Believe me, I am sure the Cubs have told the Padres this and the Padres have relayed this information to Peavy. But if he continues to ignore those facts, he can continue to claim them as an option, along with the other options he seems to be claiming that don't exist either. Bottom line is, Jake seemingly would rather stay in San Diego than go anywhere other than a handful of clubs, and so the fact that the options are more limited than he is letting on only plays into his hand. The true loser in this is all the other clubs willing to make a deal for Peavy, that he does not wish to go to (i.e., the White Sox, any other club that he has vetoed a trade to), as well as the Padres, who desperately want them off their payroll.

Another factor in all of this is that it doesn't hurt Jake to bide his time now and hope that some suitor he approves can make something happen. He has two + months to hope something else can shake itself out. If and when he sees that no other options are presenting themselves, he may ultimately bite the bullet and go somewhere such as the White Sox. Until then, we can only speculate what is going on in his mind.

From Verducci'sarticle:

But no, the White Sox were in no position to convince Peavy to leave his home and his preferred league. The White Sox have the worst offense in the AL, and are too slow and old. When Scott Podsednik is in center field they have five guys in the lineup between 32 and 38. They actually began the year with Jose Contreras, 37, and Bartolo Colon, 36, taking up 40 percent of the rotation. They have no home runs out of the second base and center field positions. Their 1-2 hitters have a combined OBP of .277. They have scored two or fewer runs in 16 of 40 games. So what exactly would be the attraction for Peavy?

Soxfan562004 - you should have also pointed out that Verducci's inference that the Sox are bad because they are "old and slow" also isn't true. While the Sox are old and slow, it is the "old" guys (Konerko, Dye, Thome, and AJ) that are producing while the "young" guys are struggling. Furthermore, he doesn't account for injuries as guys are starting to come back (e.g., BA). I know it was a short paragraph, but he could at least try to get it right. He's a better writer than this.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
With some good signings this offseason and a good trade or two, the Sox can easily reach the upper echelon of MLB teams real soon. It will be nice if that LF of ours can remind us why he would have won the MVP last season.

What the hell happened to fathom? :lol:

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:37 AM)
I would love to see Ozzie just go off on Peavy and call him every name in the book.

Maybe that will give this team a chip on its shoulder and play better.

i dont want a guy on my team that can up-and-leave whenever he wants, if we're giving up serious talent for him

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
What the hell happened to fathom? :lol:

For the first time in a decade or so, I feel like we have some difference makers in our farm system. We also should have some payroll flexibility, so that's why it's so important for Gavin, Alexei, and Quentin to come around.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
For the first time in a decade or so, I feel like we have some difference makers in our farm system. We also should have some payroll flexibility, so that's why it's so important for Gavin, Alexei, and Quentin to come around.

Definitley. This year is pretty much set up to see how Alexie, Floyd and Quentin progress as well to see if Fields and Getz can handle every day starting duties at this level. If we somehow win the division this year, great. . But KW needs to start looking into next year. Where does Beckham fit in? Does he trade one of Alexie or Getz to make room for Beckham? Will KW still use Poreda as trade bait to land a legit starting pitcher to fill a HUGE hole in our rotation? KW needs to start looking forward to that June 9th draft where we could add more depth to the farm. Hopefully LHP James Paxton falls to us. I would also be happy with LHP Rex Brothers.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
From Verducci'sarticle:

Soxfan562004 - you should have also pointed out that Verducci's inference that the Sox are bad because they are "old and slow" also isn't true. While the Sox are old and slow, it is the "old" guys (Konerko, Dye, Thome, and AJ) that are producing while the "young" guys are struggling. Furthermore, he doesn't account for injuries as guys are starting to come back (e.g., BA). I know it was a short paragraph, but he could at least try to get it right. He's a better writer than this.

What a ballsucker.

How many other teams are in as good of a position as the Sox now and going forward?

-some great talent in AA or higher, most of whom will be ready by the end of 2010

-lots of interesting arms in the lower levels

-several picks in the top 100 of this year's draft

-weak division

-Dotel, Dye, Thome, Colon, MacDougal, Contreras = about 43.5M off the payroll next season

-logjams of IF prospects to be used as trade bait

-no bad contracts after 2009 season, with the closest ones being $12M in 2009 for PK, $14M in 2010-11 for Burls, and $10.5 total for 2010-11 for Linebrink - and I think all those contracts are easily movable if we had to, although moving Linebrink and PK could require taking on a small, bad contract for 1 year

How many teams can say even some of those things? How many teams have as much talent near MLB ready as the Sox? How many have such a winnable division? How many have so much payroll flexibility going forward? How many teams are actually willing to ADD a large salary right now?

Yeah, methinks Tom Verducci is a buttlicking blowhard looking to kick a losing team when it's down instead of admitting what every AL fan already knew even before this s*** went down, which is that Jake Peavy is a big, stinky, slimy billygoat's vagina who is afraid to pitch for any American League ballclub regardless of its current situation.

-some great talent in AA or higher, most of whom will be ready by the end of 2010

As far as this being a selling point, I just think a lot of people here dont see how little value this holds.

For a guy who is 27 and wants to finally win for once in his career, this means nothing. Plenty of teams have this. And then once he's traded for some of it, we're back to being middling plus Gordon.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
As far as this being a selling point, I just think a lot of people here dont see how little value this holds.

For a guy who is 27 and wants to finally win for once in his career, this means nothing. Plenty of teams have this. And then once he's traded for some of it, we're back to being middling plus Gordon.

Really??? Plenty of teams have the kind of talent in Double A or higher that we do? I know the Cubs and Astros, two of the teams he's gunning for, certainly do not. Atlanta has Heyward probably on the fast track and Hanson is ready, but the Braves aren't going to be adding that contract.

If you're going to be traded somewhere for the next 4.5 seasons I think you'd care about both their immediate and long-term futures. Knowing about some of the players coming up helps. Also, it means payroll flexibility, i.e. more money to spend on veterans in other areas. I'm sure there are a ton of teams out there that would love to pencil in an IF of Fields/Viciedo-Ramirez-Beckham-Allen for a combined $5M or less per season.

Edit: And p**** doesn't give two s***s about winning. He rejected a trade to the Sox, a team that probably would have become favorites in the division with him. He said he didn't want to go to the Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels. He'd rather play for the f***ing Astros than the Yankees, and would stick around a past and future 100-loss team for 3.5 years at least in order to do that. Doesn't sound like much of a winner to me.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
Really??? Plenty of teams have the kind of talent in Double A or higher that we do? I know the Cubs and Astros, two of the teams he's gunning for, certainly do not. Atlanta has Heyward probably on the fast track and Hanson is ready, but the Braves aren't going to be adding that contract.

If you're going to be traded somewhere for the next 4.5 seasons I think you'd care about both their immediate and long-term futures. Knowing about some of the players coming up helps. Also, it means payroll flexibility, i.e. more money to spend on veterans in other areas. I'm sure there are a ton of teams out there that would love to pencil in an IF of Fields/Viciedo-Ramirez-Beckham-Allen for a combined $5M or less per season.

I think the point he was making was Jake Peavy couldn't care less about the guys in AA. If the plan was to bring them all up next year or the year after, chances are the team will struggle. Rookies struggle. If I were Peavy and if they tried to sell me on the AA guys, I'd be thinking their up in the majors in 2010 and/or 2011. It takes them a season or so to get their feet wet. If all goes well, they become solid championship-type contributors in 2012/2013. What's up until then? All this money coming off the books? How will that be spent? Will it be spent? Does my salary count towards spending it? What if the current crop of youngsters on the big league club continue to struggle? How long do you stick with them? Can you bring in someone better if they can't do the job. Can you do a little better than Dewayne Wise?

We have a bunch of talent at AA isn't going to make Peavy hop on a plane.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)

Said better than I couldve.

The things that matter to us here are not the things that matter to this guy in his professional or personal life. Therefore it's wasted emotion to hate him for his decision.

I'd rather he not make a decision he even halfway regrets.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
I think the point he was making was Jake Peavy couldn't care less about the guys in AA. If the plan was to bring them all up next year or the year after, chances are the team will struggle. Rookies struggle. If I were Peavy and if they tried to sell me on the AA guys, I'd be thinking their up in the majors in 2010 and/or 2011. It takes them a season or so to get their feet wet. If all goes well, they become solid championship-type contributors in 2012/2013. What's up until then? All this money coming off the books? How will that be spent? Will it be spent? Does my salary count towards spending it? What if the current crop of youngsters on the big league club continue to struggle? How long do you stick with them? Can you bring in someone better if they can't do the job. Can you do a little better than Dewayne Wise?

I don't fully agree with this. Peavy himself was an AA ball player before he came up to the major leagues and stuck in a major way. I'm not saying he's going to choose which team he goes to based on which franchise has the best AA team, but he specifically was weary with the trade the Braves were going to make to get him because he was concerned they were giving too much of the young talent they needed to succeed (with him on the Braves) away to the Padres in return for his services.

I think the guy is looking at the big picture, in terms of talent a franchise has on its mlb team as well as guys that have potential to contribute while he is under contract with said team. The number of young players who have made immediate impacts in this league over the past few years is astounding. To claim that a franchise's farm talent doesn't factor into his decision is being pretty dangerous with your speculation for a guy that is still just 27 years old.

When it comes down to it, I think he wants to go to a good city, preferably in the NL, which has a good outlook both now and in the near future. We do not fit one of those criteria, and that is a big criteria right now. We'll see if that changes though as he gets a better idea of what his options are come the trade deadline.

Edited by iamshack