Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (Baines3 @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
I don't see why the Sox even made the trade offer since they wouldn't pick up the option and knew Peavy was going to reject it.

that's the 1m dollar question for me too. Hopefully KW will be on a show soon where the hosts actually ask it.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Good post..and it makes you wonder what was going on, especially with rumors that KW is open for business regarding unloading some veterans.

It sounds like the Sox did in fact try to pick up the option, but they wanted to defer some money to allow that to happen. Pretty fair if you ask me.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
f*** this season. 70 wins here we come. At least all the prospect lovers in the future sox forum are happy.

If they love prospects, then cheer for the minor league teams. Kenny Williams will never field a team of all prospects. As I have mentioned, most will be dealt.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Because he is scared to pitch in the AL, thus making him a p**** regardless of his location. He could have gone to Anaheim, but the AL made him have night terrors.

I'm not going to get into the name-calling, but this AL-phobia suggests that he cares more about his numbers than winning. Not sure I'd want a guy like that on my team.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
f*** this season. 70 wins here we come. At least all the prospect lovers in the future sox forum are happy.

Question: was Peavy going to solve our situation at 3rd base, where we are getting nothing? Was he going to make Alexei and Getz start hitting, and magically cure Quentin's foot? Even with Peavy, there's no guarantee this was anything more than a 83-84 win team. The Tigers are much improved this season, so it's not like getting Peavy was going to guarantee us anything. I think the prospect lovers should be happy that we have the caliber of players that could land Peavy, and that we have a GM who knows when to cash in the chips at the right time.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)

No. Why would anyone be? When you have the opportunity to trade 4 guys, most of whom have about a 2% chance or less of achieving what Peavy has, for a legitimate ace to help you win both now and in the future, who is also in his prime, why would anyone NOT want to make that deal?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
It sounds like the Sox did in fact try to pick up the option, but they wanted to defer some money to allow that to happen. Pretty fair if you ask me.

I heard they flat out rejected it, so it will be interesting to get confirmation.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
Question: was Peavy going to solve our situation at 3rd base, where we are getting nothing? Was he going to make Alexei and Getz start hitting, and magically cure Quentin's foot? Even with Peavy, there's no guarantee this was anything more than a 83-84 win team. The Tigers are much improved this season, so it's not like getting Peavy was going to guarantee us anything. I think the prospect lovers should be happy that we have the caliber of players that could land Peavy, and that we have a GM who knows when to cash in the chips at the right time.

This deal was more for next year, its pretty obvious this year is done.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
This deal was more for next year, its pretty obvious this year is done.

And if Hudson and Poreda keep up their great minor league numbers, then maybe we can make an even better trade in the offseason? Could you imagine how great it would have been to have 15-20 million available for free agents last offseason towards the in?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
I heard they flat out rejected it, so it will be interesting to get confirmation.

That's going to be the rub to this whole thing, if they flat out rejected I can understand it from a future planning POV, but I cannot comprehend why they let it get this far if they weren't willing to accept it or give a reasonable offer. He wasn't going to leave a team he signed a NTC with for exactly what he could get by staying there.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)

Getting Peavy would guarantee that Richard wouldn't be in the rotation and that Contreras and Count would get to fight over 1 spot instead of two. Getting Peavy would guarantee that we have a core starting staff at least 1-3 to build around. Getting Peavy would guarantee that we wouldn't have to score as many runs on any given fifth day. Getting Peavy would guarantee the fans that we're thinking about winning here, not a full rebuild. Getting a guy like that guarantees a lot, don't try to understate the value of proven starting pitching.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
I don't understand why is he waiting to confirm about the rejection, just do it already.

some report said the Pads haven't made the official call to the White Sox, probably waiting for that. If they have a 9:05 or:30 game, he should be at or near being in the ballpark. I imagine SD is probably telling him they have no other solid offers and if he rejects this he's with them for the forseeable future

Sounds like Lance Broadway might have been another member of the deal. We won't know, but I do know he wouldn't have been able to be officially listed as a PTBNL.

Below is a blurb from the Trib

A Major League scout said the Padres' main thrust is pitching and that they have looked closely at Aaron Poreda, Clayton Richard and Lance Broadway, whose sinker would work well in a damp, large ballpark like Petco Field.

The scout added that the Padres could use another right-handed bat but could settle for a lower-level prospect.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
That's going to be the rub to this whole thing, if they flat out rejected I can understand it from a future planning POV, but I cannot comprehend why they let it get this far if they weren't willing to accept it or give a reasonable offer. He wasn't going to leave a team he signed a NTC with for exactly what he could get by staying there.

No, the Sox were willing to re-work the deal, but Peavy wasn't interested in that, so the Sox flat out rejected the 22 mil option. Sorry for the confusion.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
huh

i believe he just means that the Pads or Sox haven't issued a statement or that Peavy himself hasn't come out and said it, it's all just sources now (not that I don't believe he blocked it, but there's nothing "official")

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Sounds like Lance Broadway might have been another member of the deal. We won't know, but I do know he wouldn't have been able to be officially listed as a PTBNL.

Below is a blurb from the Trib

Interesting, now I don't know if I'm more disappointed in not getting Peavy or not getting rid of Broadway.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
And if Hudson and Poreda keep up their great minor league numbers, then maybe we can make an even better trade in the offseason? Could you imagine how great it would have been to have 15-20 million available for free agents last offseason towards the in?

However, it seems evident the Sox want superstar type players and that is where they will spend the money. No doubt we were interested in Abreu but didn't have the opening and no other guys were out there that truly intrigued the Sox. Although I'm still surprised they didn't dig on Hudson, but hey, Getz isn't the worse guy to gamble on. I expect the Sox to consider CF and the front of the rotation to be the two areas they target the most.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
No, the Sox were willing to re-work the deal, but Peavy wasn't interested in that, so the Sox flat out rejected the 22 mil option. Sorry for the confusion.

OK, if that's the case, I don't mind them trying for him then. The Sox are still in a strong position for the future with a good farm system, 4 good picks and shedding alot of payroll.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
Getting Peavy would guarantee that Richard wouldn't be in the rotation and that Contreras and Count would get to fight over 1 spot instead of two. Getting Peavy would guarantee that we have a core starting staff at least 1-3 to build around. Getting Peavy would guarantee that we wouldn't have to score as many runs on any given fifth day. Getting Peavy would guarantee the fans that we're thinking about winning here, not a full rebuild. Getting a guy like that guarantees a lot, don't try to understate the value of proven starting pitching.

He hasn't proven anything outside of Petco. Have you watched him pitch the last two years? His velocity is down a few MPH, and his slider doesn't have the tilt it once had. He's thrown a ridiculous amount of pitches his last 6 years...far more than any 27 year should with the torque he puts on his elbow. He's a good pitcher, but people have to stop making him out to be Johan Santana.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)

Ya, had they defered some money, things would have been plausible, so basically put the Sox were willing to pick up a pretty significant amount of cash and while they didn't want to pick up the option as is, were willing to make a pretty tremendous compromise. I wonder if this heats up again or if Kenny moves on. My guess is you have to move on but who knows. I'd say there is possibly a small window of time where he might reconsider things if the Pads push hard enough in the next 24 hr's. But it sounds like the family made there decision.

I also think if the Sox were in first place, the decision would have been a lot easier. I highly doubt Peavy is going to get super excited over the talks that we have a great farm system and that he was probably more interested in what the Sox were going to do and I'm sure the Sox didn't want to divulge all the info of there plans to Peavy, but maybe they did (I know they did that with Hunter and Dye and it might have bit em in the butt).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Interesting, now I don't know if I'm more disappointed in not getting Peavy or not getting rid of Broadway.

mwahahahah.

Broadway sure gave the Padres a preview of what "his sinker" would do today.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
However, it seems evident the Sox want superstar type players and that is where they will spend the money. No doubt we were interested in Abreu but didn't have the opening and no other guys were out there that truly intrigued the Sox. Although I'm still surprised they didn't dig on Hudson, but hey, Getz isn't the worse guy to gamble on. I expect the Sox to consider CF and the front of the rotation to be the two areas they target the most.

Yep, I'm actually excited by the effort KW made today. KW deserves huge kudos for the improvements we've made to our farm system. Let's hope he makes some quality veteran for prospects trades in the coming months, as that's been his biggest downfall as a GM.