Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
Ya, had they defered some money, things would have been plausible, so basically put the Sox were willing to pick up a pretty significant amount of cash and while they didn't want to pick up the option as is, were willing to make a pretty tremendous compromise. I wonder if this heats up again or if Kenny moves on. My guess is you have to move on but who knows. I'd say there is possibly a small window of time where he might reconsider things if the Pads push hard enough in the next 24 hr's. But it sounds like the family made there decision.

I also think if the Sox were in first place, the decision would have been a lot easier. I highly doubt Peavy is going to get super excited over the talks that we have a great farm system and that he was probably more interested in what the Sox were going to do and I'm sure the Sox didn't want to divulge all the info of there plans to Peavy, but maybe they did (I know they did that with Hunter and Dye and it might have bit em in the butt).

I'd be shocked if KW ever talks to the Padres about Peavy again. This is a pretty embarrassing public rejection from Peavy.

i think when he talks to the media it will be uneventful... he'll praise the White Sox and say he put this NTC in to protect himself and at this time he wants to stay in SD, etc... I imagine his agent is prepping him for it right now, basically telling him to stress he's not afraid of the AL and he would be willing to revist the White Sox or any other AL team in the future, the time wasn't right... his goal is to get a team to snap up the 22m no questions asked, it's an 18m dollar gamble he's willing to take.

LOL at the conspiracy stuff in here. I mean seriously. People think the Sox and Padres, together, devised a fake trade they knew wouldn't happen in order to make Jerry Reinsdorff look less cheap? Do you guys think about these things before you post them?

And even more hilarious is the fact that the Sox went out to try to acquire an expensive but very good pitcher, and are apparently trying to even give him MORE guaranteed money than is in the contract... and somehow that makes the Sox cheap again if it doesn't happen?

I know the team looks like crap right now, but seriously, come back down to earth.

Also, this deal is no more dead than it was a done deal before. Its waiting, just like before. We're in the same place we were. Striking this last part, with Peavy confirming.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Yep, I'm actually excited by the effort KW made today. KW deserves huge kudos for the improvements we've made to our farm system. Let's hope he makes some quality veteran for prospects trades in the coming months, as that's been his biggest downfall as a GM.

I also hope that Kenny and his people do the right job and invest heavily in this draft, especially since many teams will be on budget constraints which means a team with some extra cash to spend could really really benefit by getting a great crop of potential. And for whomever said the 4 guys the Sox sending have a 2% of suceeding I'd call BS. I would be stunned if at least 1 of Richard/poreda didn't make it, let alone whomever the other two guys were.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
Yep, I'm actually excited by the effort KW made today. KW deserves huge kudos for the improvements we've made to our farm system. Let's hope he makes some quality veteran for prospects trades in the coming months, as that's been his biggest downfall as a GM.

Agreed. He definitely made a serious effort at helping the club here.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)
I also hope that Kenny and his people do the right job and invest heavily in this draft, especially since many teams will be on budget constraints which means a team with some extra cash to spend could really really benefit by getting a great crop of potential. And for whomever said the 4 guys the Sox sending have a 2% of suceeding I'd call BS. I would be stunned if at least 1 of Richard/poreda didn't make it, let alone whomever the other two guys were.

I'll stand by my statement that by the time this deal would have been up, one of Poreda/Richard/Hudson would put up better numbers in the AL than Peavy.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
I'd be shocked if KW ever talks to the Padres about Peavy again. This is a pretty embarrassing public rejection from Peavy.

Maybe for Peavy but I don't think it looks bad to the Sox. If I were them I'd spin it as saying we tried and got closer than the Yanks/Red Sox/Angels did (although they didn't have deals in place) and to me thats a f***ing compliment. A big compliment. I'm once again very proud of our organization. They went out of there f***ing way to put together a massive deal and we clearly are one of the big players (maybe not in the FA market) but on the trade front every season and history shows under this leadership group that ballsy things might just happen.

Its why I've always backed KW, despite at times ripping into him for being too cocky at times (but that cockiness also makes him good).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)

Do you mean "make it" like Lance Broadway has made it, or "make it" referring to either Poreda or Richard pitching successfully and not embarrassing the ballclub, like Broadway?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Maybe for Peavy but I don't think it looks bad to the Sox. If I were them I'd spin it as saying we tried and got closer than the Yanks/Red Sox/Angels did (although they didn't have deals in place) and to me thats a f***ing compliment. A big compliment. I'm once again very proud of our organization. They went out of there f***ing way to put together a massive deal and we clearly are one of the big players (maybe not in the FA market) but on the trade front every season and history shows under this leadership group that ballsy things might just happen.

Its why I've always backed KW, despite at times ripping into him for being too cocky at times (but that cockiness also makes him good).

Right, KW goes for it and fails sometimes, but he goes for it. The whole "it's embarassing" to the White Sox thing is Sox haters and self loathing White Sox fans... Brian Giles flat out rejected the Red Sox last year when they were in a strong position to make the playoffs, I didn't hear that the Red Sox are embarassed, etc... it happens.

At the end of the day $$ talks and this offseason the Sox will have alot of it, I don't think, just a random FA off the top of my head, Matt Holiday will get a better offer from the Sox and say "oh no, Peavy rejected that team, I'm not going."

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
From espn.com

As of right now, this is the best place for us to be. We made that decision for the time being," Peavy said before Thursday night's game against San Francisco.

about what I thought... to me that says if the Sox and Pads can agree on $$ so I get my 22m, I'll be on the next flight to O'Hare. For the record, I'm fine with him doing this, he negotiated the NTC he can use the leverage anyway he wants...

so do the Sox add another + prospect to get $$ from the Pads?

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (tommy @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:08 AM)
I have a feeling he ends up with the Cubs before deadline.

Thanks for the effort Kenny, always trying to compete and that's good, let's do something about the s*** team I had to watch today play the Twins.

If he makes the Cubs pick up that option, that would give them like 8 players locked up for that year around 150 mil. Not going to happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
I'll stand by my statement that by the time this deal would have been up, one of Poreda/Richard/Hudson would put up better numbers in the AL than Peavy.

To me, even if we traded all three of those guys, I could still list out 5 guys that would remain in the system with top 100 prospect value and another 5 guys with the potential to reach that group. And this is before we have a s***ton of selections. I'm so proud of what has gone on since the organization overhauled our system, namely bringing in Buddy Bell

Current Top 100 group (or close to it):

Flowers

Beckham

Danks

Allen

Viciedo

Potential:

Carter

Leesman

Omogrosso

Shelby (might be stretching here)

Upchurch (again, so raw its hard to say)

Gilmore (raw, but I've heard multiple scouts freaking rave about this guy)

Nathan Jones (hard to put him here cause he's got a low probability of making it, but stuff wise, WOW, WOW, WOW...that combo of FB/Curve sets him up to be a potential DOMINANT reliever)

So while I might be overstating some things, thats still pretty impressive when you consider your excluding Hudson/Poreda/Richard from that list already and you already have Quentin/Ramirez/Fields/Getz at the major league level (not that Getz/Fields are in the same breath as Quentin/Ramirez (just given last years production).

I really thought the Sox would be a much better team with Peavy. The trade was a no-brainer, but he took a hometown discount and got the NTC put in there, so I can't fault him for using it. Only he knows the entire reason he said no. I just wonder, because I'm sure the White Sox went over their future with him, if he was scared off by the young guys coming up. Veterans like veterans. Maybe he looked at the current roster and then looked down the road and saw Thome and Dye probably gone and wondered how they would score any runs. Good pitchers making a lot of money on bad teams wind up in trade talk. Maybe he thought in a couple years the Sox would try to send him packing.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
about what I thought... to me that says if the Sox and Pads can agree on $$ so I get my 22m, I'll be on the next flight to O'Hare.

He isn't coming here, and he won't come here. He'll wait until the offseason then to get traded to the Cubs or Braves.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
If he makes the Cubs pick up that option, that would give them like 8 players locked up for that year around 150 mil. Not going to happen.

Levine stressed it heavily that until the sale is finalized the Cubs payroll is completely frozen, they can't even add DeRosa's contract back now that he's seemingly on the market. Past that it seems the new ownership group is not going to be adding payroll left and right, they just flat out won't be in the financial position to do it

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
To me, even if we traded all three of those guys, I could still list out 5 guys that would remain in the system with top 100 prospect value and another 5 guys with the potential to reach that group. And this is before we have a s***ton of selections. I'm so proud of what has gone on since the organization overhauled our system, namely bringing in Buddy Bell

That's the thing...a strong farm system for the Sox means more trades for established players. KW has, and always will be, that type of GM. I think it's great, especially with our history of developing players for the big leagues as poor as it is.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
Do you mean "make it" like Lance Broadway has made it, or "make it" referring to either Poreda or Richard pitching successfully and not embarrassing the ballclub, like Broadway?

I mean, pitching successfully. Barring injuries, I am fairly confident that both of them will be quality relievers for some period of there career at the very least and that they are valuable chips.