Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
I wonder if the Sox are going to continue to pursue this.

I would think KW needs to move on. Maybe in a couple months at the deadline Peavy will be ready to leave SD and the NL, then maybe he gets re-involved, but there obviously are other places he'd rather be and until he's satisfied those options have all been exhausted, he probably is fine where he's at. Its his move now. The other thing is, two months from now, maybe KW doesn't want to give up Poreda or Richard(s) or maybe Towers doesn't want them.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)
Shouldn't this process begin with;

Towers, "Hang on Ken let me call you back."

Towers, "Jake if the Sox can get a deal done, will you go there......no.....what will it take to get you to agree..........ok"

Towers, " Ken, Kevin, this is what Jake wants and this what we want.........deal?"

Then the process begins. Is this whole thing ass backward or is that just me?

No it's not just you.

Jake may just be one of those few that doesn't even want to think about moving anywhere except staying in CA.

He might be inclined, IMHO, later down his career to stay West Coast if the Angels, Dodgers, or Giants would ever be a hot contender...as a matter of fact now, it won't surprise me one bit if he is later traded to Anaheim, er....the LAA.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
Time to root for the Jays to tank and make Doc available. Other than that, who is there available that is worth pursuing? Bedard? When does King Felix hit FA? Lackey isn't getting traded. Haren? Webb over the offseason?

Doc ain't a guy you trade for unless you are in full contend mode right now. He's older and just not going to be in his prime for that much longer. If you give up a ton of guys, given the clubs current make-up, its for someone that you'll have at there prime through the existence of there current contract or the new contract you offer (in the case you get a guy that is due for an extension, you obviously have to get him extended, imo).

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
Time to root for the Jays to tank and make Doc available. Other than that, who is there available that is worth pursuing? Bedard? When does King Felix hit FA? Lackey isn't getting traded. Haren? Webb over the offseason?

Bedard is a FA at the end of this offseason. Webb has a club option this offseason that is sure to be picked up unless he dies.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)

Towers, "Jake if the Sox can get a deal done, will you go there......no.....what will it take to get you to agree..........ok"

Towers, " Ken, Kevin, this is what Jake wants and this what we want.........deal?"

Stop making sense. KW said he's been working on this for 11 months, gets an agreement and all Peavy has to say is no for it all to be for nothing. I've always wondered that when they trade guys with no trades. I think the only explanation is just above every player will move if you make it attractive enough.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
I would think KW needs to move on. Maybe in a couple months at the deadline Peavy will be ready to leave SD and the NL, then maybe he gets re-involved, but there obviously are other places he'd rather be and until he's satisfied those options have all been exhausted, he probably is fine where he's at. Its his move now. The other thing is, two months from now, maybe KW doesn't want to give up Poreda or Richard(s) or maybe Towers doesn't want them.

Great minds, because the deadline popped into my mind too. Look at it from Peavy and his agents perspective, so many things can happen, and if the Sox aren't willing to guarantee the 22m then roll the dice. Zambrano could blow out his hamstring (although again, Cubs can't add payroll), CC could hurt himself running to the buffet, Dice-K doesn't come back strong, or numerous other scenarios with all sorts of teams, not to mention the White Sox could still be there at the end of July.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
Stop making sense. KW said he's been working on this for 11 months, gets an agreement and all Peavy has to say is no for it all to be for nothing. I've always wondered that when they trade guys with no trades. I think the only explanation is just above every player will move if you make it attractive enough.

Ya, but you can't go to Peavy until something is done because in all fairness, the Sox are going to have to sell him on the fact and so many other things. Plus you don't want to constantly bother Peavy or really get too involved unless it is serious. I'm sure the Pads told Kenny there was a chance and if they could reach things than you could talk to Jake and try to swing something. It didn't work, no biggie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
Bedard is a FA at the end of this offseason. Webb has a club option this offseason that is sure to be picked up unless he dies.

Bedard has too many health risks for the Sox to give longterm cash too. I freaking love him when healthy but no way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)

It could also be that the Padres are just that desperate to move his contract. Towers is supposedly still over $5 million above the $40 million he's under orders to get their team salary to this season. Part of the reason this may have taken a year could also be that the Padres wanted to see some of our guys (Poreda) as they move up and as they develop, and the Sox have added new tradeable pieces as their younger levels have developed too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Ya, but you can't go to Peavy until something is done because in all fairness, the Sox are going to have to sell him on the fact and so many other things. Plus you don't want to constantly bother Peavy or really get too involved unless it is serious. I'm sure the Pads told Kenny there was a chance and if they could reach things than you could talk to Jake and try to swing something. It didn't work, no biggie.

Not to mention the tampering implications from running around talking to other teams players about trades and contracts.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)

To be fair, Peavy said, if I recall, that he would do what's best for the franchise. I think Towers believed it, and now we all know that isn't true.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
Bedard has too many health risks for the Sox to give longterm cash too. I freaking love him when healthy but no way.

I'm in the same boat as you, especially since he's pitching well this year (is hurt now though?)... but it's a blueprint of a FA year for a pitcher, get a few of the big market teams vying for you and than lay a modified Pavano on them

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
I'm in the same boat as you, especially since he's pitching well this year (is hurt now though?)... but it's a blueprint of a FA year for a pitcher, get a few of the big market teams vying for you and than lay a modified Pavano on them

I'd much rather go for Lackey, whose been a horse most of his career. I don't put him in the Santana/Halladay mold, but he's pretty f***ing good. And I'm not really stating I'd go that long-term with Lackey either. I would never go more than 4 years on a big money contract for a pitcher. If your paying 4 or 5 years for a young pitcher, understandable as its not as much money or a deal that will cripple you, but in a big money contract, never more than 4 years and preferably three.

I would have liked to see Peavy end up with the Sox, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this. I just don't see the Sox contending this year anyways, and that's a ton of money to tie up in one guy, who won't be the same away from the NL and Petco. It's nice to keep Richard, Poreda, Hudson and Carter (assuming one or both of them were involved).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
I'd much rather go for Lackey, whose been a horse most of his career. I don't put him in the Santana/Halladay mold, but he's pretty f***ing good. And I'm not really stating I'd go that long-term with Lackey either. I would never go more than 4 years on a big money contract for a pitcher. If your paying 4 or 5 years for a young pitcher, understandable as its not as much money or a deal that will cripple you, but in a big money contract, never more than 4 years and preferably three.

Yeah, I agree with you on the years to a pitcher, I was for the Peavy deal, not crushed that it didn't get done, but it was on the edge of $$ and years for a pitcher that I would go, and that's only because 40m is coming off, obviously somewhat less with reupping.

It will be interesting to see if a stud pitcher drops to the Sox due to signability questions if they snap him up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)

I'm sure KW and JR were in full recruiting mode yesterday and today. For whatever reason, the White Sox still aren't a preferred destination for major league players. Which in a way makes no sense. They have a lot of guys with great reputations on the team. Chicago is always voted favorite road city. There have been ringing endorsements from well respected guys like Thome and Griffey. Dye, Buerhle, Konerko walked away from more money elsewhere to be here. It pisses me off so many want to play for the Cubs but not the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Not to mention the tampering implications from running around talking to other teams players about trades and contracts.

The point being the Padres could ask Peavy if he would waive the NTC or what it would take to get him to waive it. That's not tampering. Its one thing to work on a trade for a long time and not match up, but to come to an agreement and Peavy just saying no seems like a bigger waste of time than the countless meetings I have to attend at work.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
I'm sure KW and JR were in full recruiting mode yesterday and today. For whatever reason, the White Sox still aren't a preferred destination for major league players. Which in a way makes no sense. They have a lot of guys with great reputations on the team. Chicago is always voted favorite road city. There have been ringing endorsements from well respected guys like Thome and Griffey. Dye, Buerhle, Konerko walked away from more money elsewhere to be here. It pisses me off so many want to play for the Cubs but not the Sox.

The funnier part is I guarantee if you go around the league, more former players have better things to say about the Sox than the Cubs (ie, out of guys that played with one of the teams). A lot of people leave the Cubs and realize what a nightmare there fans can be. I think in Peavy's case it had very little to do with the org, in fact, I think its respectable that we even got close getting him here since he had issues with other premiere teams in baseball.

Our organization as a whole treats guys tremendously and the only reason I would see someone favoring other places is due to location (ie, closer to family or where they lived), weather (Chicago as opposed to West Coast) or spring training location (you live in FL so you want to be on a team that trains there). I can't see someone not coming because the Sox aren't a good team, afterall, they are one of the winningest teams in all of baseball since 1990.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
I'd do the same damn package for Oswalt.

I wouldn't, unless the PTBNL were Broadway and McCulloch or Egbert or something. But if it was Hudson and another solid guy, too much. I think Oswalt is nearing the decline.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)

Other teams get rejected, again Giles flat out rejected the Red Sox last year when he could have been a part of a deep playoff run. I'm sure the Cubs have gotten rejected by FAs etc... Freddy came here and signed an extension (Ozzie factor exists, but he still did it), PK turned down a similar if not more $$ from the LAA to stay, MB chose to stay here, and Torri didn't come because the LAA offerred a good amount of money more, same as Bartolo the first time.

When have the Cubs got someone they didn't overpay for? (FA wise, obviously Hendry got some great salary dumps, but those weren't NTC involved) Bradley's contract is bad, Soriano's contract was being labeled bad in good economic times... maybe Maddux gave them some sort of discount and Fukudome picked them because he wanted to be the first Japanese player on a team, but Sox players have given the team breaks before too.

Again, as long as he stays healthy, Peavy is taking a decent gamble. When the trade deadline heats up maybe there's a team willing to guarantee the 22m no questions asked, and if his agent and the Pads spin it to KW right, the Sox might have interest in a similar deal in July.

Edited by SoxFan562004