Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
Food for thought. KW didn't burn any bridges on this one.

Going back and re-reading the statement, the at this time comment sure sounds like the Sox would be willing to revisit this deal if Jake was more interested.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Unless the Sox find an extra 22 million they are able to spend in '13, the deal is dead.

I'll say it a last time. All the AL-NL, family talk is all garbage. This deal all came down to guaranteed money, and Peavy and his agent didn't get what they wanted.

The package the Sox sent over was less than impressive. It was going probably going to be Poreda, Richard, Ely, and Lessman. If I was a Padre fan, that is not an acceptable package for an ace pitcher. However, it clearly is the best the Padres can do. Why? Because no one is beating down the door of Kevin Towers given the fact you have to pay Jake Peavy 22 million dollars four years from now. It's not a smart business decision, and one the Sox aren't going to be a part of.

right, to illustrate your point, that offer would probably be judged to be way better than any offer we heard from the Cubs... The Pads will probably have to do a pure salary dump from a team in the NL willing to eat his contract... and if reports are true, Cubs can't do that.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
:unsure:

The guy wrote a Cubs-stroking article, about how the White Sox didn't deserve Peavy, and that they were in a position to suck for a few years running. Why would i be happy? I'm pissed over this whole day of course i'm prone to hyperbole.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
I think the AL-NL makes no difference to Peavy. I know that goes against what was said, I just don't buy it. Jake and his agent don't want to come across like money craved individuals, so they use that reason as a sticking point in trade talks.

For as much as Peavy preferred to stay in the NL, if the Sox picked up his 22 million dollar option, he would be in front of a table right now with a Sox jersey on, waiting for questions from the media.

Right, at the end of the day I agree with you, but I think the earlyness of this proposed move is a factor. I think they figure why would we take anything less than 22m at this point? Let's roll the dice if he feels healthy, wait two months and see if someone will do it, if not, hey it wasn't the right time for me to go to the Sox for an extra 14m, but you know what, now it is.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
If it makes anyone feel better, Beckham and JorDanks homered already today.

its somewhat sad that i look forward to checking Barons box scores as much as i do

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
Heyman quoted another baseball exec when asked if he would pick up the $22 million option to get Peavy to agree to a trade, "you have to be out of your mind"

If that truely is what it takes to get Jake Peavy, the Cubs can have him.

lol, it seems the White Sox and many other teams agree with that executive, since it seems that you don't have to give up a ton to get the Pads to agree (not that I don't like Poreda, but for a 27 year old pitcher, it wasn't a crazy player deal)

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
Please... stop bringing up the 2013 option and that Peavy doesn't deserve the 22 million.

Its been brought up countless times:

For 76 mil over 4.75 years (16 mil per year), Peavy is a steal.

KW knows this, and I doubt he'll leave this alone.

there are enough teams that he would seemingly agree to go to, mostly in the NL and none of them have jumped on the steal. Alot has to do with the fact that as we sit today there's not alot of money for teams to spend now.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
so now that this thing is off......and despite what Hahn said...i gotta think Poreda will be in the pen sooner than later replacing gobble...right?

Poreda just k'd 12 in seven. Colon just had an epic fail of a game today. If we're ever going to call up AP i want it as a starter. Hopefully, we can get a lefty for Betemit.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
so now that this thing is off......and despite what Hahn said...i gotta think Poreda will be in the pen sooner than later replacing gobble...right?

depends on if KW wants to use him as a chip in other trades, if he does, he'll probably keep him in AA unless the team he's talking to reqeusts to see him at another level

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
Poreda just k'd 12 in seven. Colon just had an epic fail of a game today. If we're ever going to call up AP i want it as a starter. Hopefully, we can get a lefty for Betemit.

What do you mean a lefty for Betemit? Like a LOOGY? Betemit has no trade value right now. You're better off finding a LOOGY on the waiver wire. Hell, Breslow was claimed a few days ago.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
Please... stop bringing up the 2013 option and that Peavy doesn't deserve the 22 million.

Its been brought up countless times:

For 76 mil over 4.75 years (16 mil per year), Peavy is a steal.

KW knows this, and I doubt he'll leave this alone.

If it were such a steal, why didn't the White Sox agree to pick up the option?

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:16 AM)

The thing is, the Sox have pretty defined roles. In games they're tied or winning after 6 innings, it's going to be Dotel/Thornton/Linebrink/Jenks. In games they're trailing, they just don't really care and will go to the inning eaters. Hell, I'd rather see Carrasco get a shot at starting and see if there's a chance in the world he can contribute there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:20 AM)
If it were such a steal, why didn't the White Sox agree to pick up the option?

Could you imagine the amount of players we'd have to unload over the next few years if we had that albatross lurking in 2013? Guys like Danks and Quentin would likely be looking at big contracts, and it would be hard to field a winning team with so much tied into one spot.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
If this affair has taught me anything it’s that Ken Rosenthal is an ignorant midget who can go screw himself because no one will be stupid enough to do it for him.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
:unsure:

Ken Rosenthal is a chode chug champion.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9598700...-served-to-wait

He wrote the above article talking about how Peavy made the right decision basically because the Sox suck now and probably will suck in the future, and the Cubs are a whole lot better. And what if the Cubs can't make any trade? And besides, f*** the Cubs anyway.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Ken Rosenthal is a chode chug champion.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9598700...-served-to-wait

He wrote the above article talking about how Peavy made the right decision basically because the Sox suck now and probably will suck in the future, and the Cubs are a whole lot better. And what if the Cubs can't make any trade? And besides, f*** the Cubs anyway.

I read the article and I don't know what's so inaccurate. It really has little to do with the Cubs, but more to do with the NL.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
What do you mean a lefty for Betemit? Like a LOOGY? Betemit has no trade value right now. You're better off finding a LOOGY on the waiver wire. Hell, Breslow was claimed a few days ago.

As long as the guy can throw the ball across the plate with his left-hand i'm game. It's very telling that other then Poreda our best lefty in the minors is Wes Whisler.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
I read the article and I don't know what's so inaccurate. It really has little to do with the Cubs, but more to do with the NL.

To even consider waiving his no-trade clause for the White Sox — an AL team that plays in a hitter-friendly park — Peavy would have required greater inducements than he would have, say, to join the Cubs.

Start with a full no-trade clause, a mandatory condition for every suitor. Peavy also might have wanted his $22 million option for 2013 guaranteed, plus some combination of an opt-out clause, an extension that elevated him to Johan Santana territory and other goodies.

So let's see... who is going to take on this whole contract? Hmm.... The Cubs can't afford it, in fact they can't do anything. The Astros can't do it, and neither can the Braves. No one in the NL sans maybe league rivals the Giants and Dodgers can. The Pads aren't eating salary.

The Pads want to move him because they can't afford him. The Pads can't eat part of the contract and they would like some talent in return. Up to this point, the Sox have been the best suitor, which is why the Pads agreed in the first place. Now Peavy wants more than he's going to get. The only way he gets that option guaranteed is if he either goes to the AL or gets traded to a division rival for probably a smaller package of talent considering the increased payroll complications.

He's asking for the impossible really. Rosenthal doesn't seem to get that.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects