Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
I read the article and I don't know what's so inaccurate. It really has little to do with the Cubs, but more to do with the NL.

I think it was a little harsh on the White Sox. There definitely are some nice pieces to build a team here. There are some gaping holes without a doubt, as Phil Rogers said today, if you have Scott Podsednik leading off everyday, you have a problem. I'm sure the Sox went over their plan for the next several seasons with Peavy.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
I just woke up from a nap to this.

Jake Peavy, I hope you have a career-ending injury. There, I said it.

My good friend who passed away last year, a Sox die hard, would have said "I hope Peavy gets AIDS". I miss him. :(

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:40 AM)
Seriously, I don't like wishing ill upon others, but I will laugh if anything bad happens to this douche bag.

Like a crippling Carpal Tunnel injury from jerking off to pictures of Wrigley Field?

I'm actually with Gage on this one (I'm scared, hold me)

I can't hate a guy for

1. Liking the place he works/plays/lives

or

2. Trying to get another year of his contract if he can, especially at $22 million

Be honest, who here would have given up on $22 million right away? Who here would be willing to leave a job they liked, for a job at a company they didn't like as much, for the exact same amount of money?

Maybe he will change his mind, or end up somewhere else, but in reality, he isn't acting any differently than anyone of us would have acted.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
So let's see... who is going to take on this whole contract? Hmm.... The Cubs can't afford it, in fact they can't do anything. The Astros can't do it, and neither can the Braves. No one in the NL sans maybe league rivals the Giants and Dodgers can. The Pads aren't eating salary.

The Pads want to move him because they can't afford him. The Pads can't eat part of the contract and they would like some talent in return. Up to this point, the Sox have been the best suitor, which is why the Pads agreed in the first place. Now Peavy wants more than he's going to get. The only way he gets that option guaranteed is if he either goes to the AL or gets traded to a division rival for probably a smaller package of talent considering the increased payroll complications.

He's asking for the impossible really. Rosenthal doesn't seem to get that.

Rosenthal is only saying that the demands would not be as high for an NL team. I addressed this pages ago when I quoted the same language. We don't know what he would want from and NL team. Rosenthal thinks an NL team would not have to pick up the option, which would mean they wouldn't have to eat the whole contract.

If you read the article he blames the Padres for the inability to move Peavy because they had better deals in place but Towers wouldn't pull the trigger.

My opinion is that he is wrong. I think Peavy wants the option picked up no matter what, but what do I know.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Rosenthal is only saying that the demands would not be as high for an NL team. I addressed this pages ago when I quoted the same language. We don't know what he would want from and NL team. Rosenthal thinks an NL team would not have to pick up the option, which would mean they wouldn't have to eat the whole contract.

If you read the article he blames the Padres for the inability to move Peavy because they had better deals in place but Towers wouldn't pull the trigger.

My opinion is that he is wrong. I think Peavy wants the option picked up no matter what, but what do I know.

Towers is smart enough to realize he doesn't want his franchise player kicking his ass on a regular basis, even if Rosenthal isn't.

What tends to happen on these boards is we slam a journalist who says the team is bad.

Then the Sox go out and play badly and to a man each person who posts here, in one form or another, says the team is bad.

I dont think we're a horrible franchise, but right now it's a team that has old sluggers - and the youth is starting to look like a question mark again. So i cant really blame anyone for pausing before saying we're a great destination. A second year like 2008 would help shift that. We're not there right now.

Last year was great fun, but not definitive with regards to our talent level.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
Unless the Sox find an extra 22 million they are able to spend in '13, the deal is dead.

I'll say it a last time. All the AL-NL, family talk is all garbage. This deal all came down to guaranteed money, and Peavy and his agent didn't get what they wanted.

The package the Sox sent over was less than impressive. It was going probably going to be Poreda, Richard, Ely, and Lessman. If I was a Padre fan, that is not an acceptable package for an ace pitcher. However, it clearly is the best the Padres can do. Why? Because no one is beating down the door of Kevin Towers given the fact you have to pay Jake Peavy 22 million dollars four years from now. It's not a smart business decision, and one the Sox aren't going to be a part of.

You don't go into a trade situation worrying about making salary room 4 years down the road. If you want the guy you get him and make it work out when you cross that bridge. We can only have 5-6 guys tops that are even signed through 2013 so its really not much of an issue.

If Peavy doesn't want to come here, then we would be foolish to continue wanting him, wouldn't we? Guy sounds like his family is more important than competing for a World Series. Granted, he's a good to great pitcher, and I would have been happy with the trade if he'd said yes. But at this point there is no way I could see him competing hard for the Sox.

He may not be the head case that Javier Vazquez was, but I lost a lot of enthusiasm for this trade as soon as Peavy sounded like he couldn't be bothered to pitch for a team that has only had one losing season since 2000. Rather stay on a team that has had 5 losing seasons since 2000. Plus, Peavy lost both postseason games he has pitched, registering an ERA near 9 in a loss to the Cardinals one year, and a 16+ ERA in a loss to the Cardinals the next year.

Again, I would have been cool with the trade had Peavy jumped at the chance to compete in the better league, for a better team. When he didn't, I say "move on" and feel like we may have avoided a mistake.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
You don't go into a trade situation worrying about making salary room 4 years down the road. If you want the guy you get him and make it work out when you cross that bridge. We can only have 5-6 guys tops that are even signed through 2013 so its really not much of an issue.

Totally disagree. You have to plan that far out. If some of the younger guys pan out, they will be making some good money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:11 AM)
Totally disagree. You have to plan that far out. If some of the younger guys pan out, they will be making some good money.

Yep, look at how crippled the Cubs are with their payroll in the coming years cause of all the back-loaded contracts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)

It's not that you don't take long-term picture into consideration but if it's a guy that you want badly you can always make it work. Four years is a long time and a lot of changes/moves can be made in that time frame. The necessary adjustments can be made and be done smartly as you have plenty of time to make them, this opposed to the situation that the Padres are in right now where they are over budget by 5 mil and have to trade their best player for pennies on the dollar to get under budget.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
It's not that you don't take long-term picture into consideration but if it's a guy that you want badly you can always make it work. Four years is a long time and a lot of changes/moves can be made in that time frame. The necessary adjustments can be made and be done smartly as you have plenty of time to make them, this opposed to the situation that the Padres are in right now where they are over budget by 5 mil and have to trade their best player for pennies on the dollar to get under budget.

The White Sox are going to have some cash to play with for a couple of years, however if a few of the Barons pan out, they will all be hitting their arb years together. Some will be bought through them some will not. It would be a shame to have to rid yourself of a good young player because you foolishly guaranteed a $22 million option in a trade 4 years earlier. One thing about pitchers, its not a question of if they are going to get hurt but when.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm actually with Gage on this one (I'm scared, hold me)

I can't hate a guy for

1. Liking the place he works/plays/lives

or

2. Trying to get another year of his contract if he can, especially at $22 million

Be honest, who here would have given up on $22 million right away? Who here would be willing to leave a job they liked, for a job at a company they didn't like as much, for the exact same amount of money?

Maybe he will change his mind, or end up somewhere else, but in reality, he isn't acting any differently than anyone of us would have acted.

Yeah, because the Cubs and Wrigley Field are in a completely different area than the Sox and the Cell.

This guy is a b****. Has no problem pitching in Wrigley Field, but is too f***ing scared of the AL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
It would be a shame to have to rid yourself of a good young player because you foolishly guaranteed a $22 million option in a trade 4 years earlier. One thing about pitchers, its not a question of if they are going to get hurt but when.

I agree. We dont know what he'll be when he's due that 22M.

In the meantime, by simply adding him now, we're not good enough to win a World Series in Year 1.

So really I want to see a few other positions solidified before we take on a huge contract.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
I know all of you guys are experiencing different levels of anger or grief, or what have you. But, Aaron Poreda will make you guys feel better about this in the near future.

Poreda is a 1 pitch pitcher and walks way to many guys sorry he does nothing for me!