Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
Just curious, but what's the record?

I'd imagine it would be from the WS winner or maybe even the Freddy Garcia trade day

10-26-2005 3628 posts. Not close to the record, but almost one of the 10 busiest days in Soxtalks nearly 7 year history.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what Peavy wanted was...

-the Sox to guarantee his last year, all 22 million of it

-And the option of an opt out clause

-(and not to mention it would cost the Sox significant resources in the way of prospects)

So if Peavy gets off this year and pitches well, he'd have just hit the open market, and headed back to the NL

If Peavy came to the Sox and sucked or was injured, then he'd just hang around for 4 years cashing checks from our organization.

Is this how anyone else reads it?

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)

-the Sox to guarantee his last year

-the Sox to deal 4 prospects to San Diego

What a damn joke.

So if Peavy gets off this year and pitches well, he'd have just hit the open market, and headed back to the NL

If Peavy came to the Sox and sucked or was injured, then he'd just hang around for 4 years cashing checks from our organization.

Yeah, that's exactly right.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)

-the Sox to guarantee his last year, all 22 million of it

-(and not to mention it would cost the Sox significant resources in the way of prospects)

This is how I interpret it.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
This is how I interpret it.

Yea, when that was posted I was like WTF...

I think it's very obvious, had we traded for Peavy under those absurd conditions this franchise would have been dealt a serious death blow.

We would either lose Peavy in 4 months and the 4 young players we traded for him (that we could help rebuild with) would be gone.

Or Peavy would come here and stay injured or under-perform and OF COURSE he wouldn't exercise his opt out, nor could we trade him somewhere (NTC), but he'd still hang around and suck money from the Sox.

Just something about that entire deal stinks to me. Maybe Peavy is within his right to get the most cards in his hand given that he was going to a team/league he wasn't interested in, but it still looks crappy to me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Those conditions basically said "I'm not going to the White Sox" right off the bat. He knew and his agent knew no team would grant those conditions... not even the Yankees.

Then why the dog and pony show you think?

Was he hoping beyond hope the Sox would be that stupid?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
It's all a bunch of crap. I don't believe for one second Peavy wants to pitch in the AL. He'll make an AL team give him a king's ransom to go there. I wish him nothing but the worst after tomorrow.

If it was the fact that he liked to hit, how come he hasn't said that from the beginning?

He's just scared of the AL.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I like how he wants to be in a stable place knowing he won't be moved, but then he asks for an opt out clause after every year? What BS.

Exactly. It was all about money and control. Don't come to your press conference and tell lies with some kid from Make-A-Wish with you ala Dusty/Darren Baker. Pulling stunts like that makes me disrespect you.

I don't even really want him anymore. It's obvious this guy doesn't want to be a part of this organization, and the only way he will join is if we give in to his ridiculous contract commands.

This guy is a tool.

At one point, Peavy was so confident a trade would get done, he sang ''Go Cubs Go'' while at a Las Vegas bar with friends that week and signed autographs that included ''Go Cubs.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cu...-csep22.article

Screw him. Enjoy pitching for a loser team for the next 4 or so years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
According to Barry Rozner, this isn't over yet.

There's only one way in which I'll like to get Peavy again...

He throws a complete game shutout against the Cubs, and after the game he says: "Screw you cubs, and get used to it, cause I'm gonna be pitching on the South Side for now on!"

Not gonna happen, but I still have hope.

At one point, Peavy was so confident a trade would get done, he sang ''Go Cubs Go'' while at a Las Vegas bar with friends that week and signed autographs that included ''Go Cubs.''

Do any of you want this on your team? Disgusting.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:00 AM)
or short and sweet, call him a p****.

You guys know how f***ing stupid that would be for the organization. No player would ever even want to listen to a sales pitch from the Sox since they'd have to think they'd get blasted if they said no.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
According to Barry Rozner, this isn't over yet.

Kenny left the door open yesterday with the "as of yet" cavet, and Axelrod didn't close the door on this either. I am surprised more writers didn't pick up on what we got here at Soxtalk yesterday.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Kenny left the door open yesterday with the "as of yet" cavet, and Axelrod didn't close the door on this either. I am surprised more writers didn't pick up on what we got here at Soxtalk yesterday.

I don't get what else could be there from Peavy's perspective. He asked for everything and then some.