Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
I don't get what else could be there from Peavy's perspective. He asked for everything and then some.

It's a timing thing, as long as he stays healthy, by rejecting the White Sox he didn't really lose anything, some team might get desperate between now and end of July and take his full 22m and give the Pads what they want, if not, it seems like the Sox will still be there for him

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
It's a timing thing, as long as he stays healthy, by rejecting the White Sox he didn't really lose anything, some team might get desperate between now and end of July and take his full 22m and give the Pads what they want, if not, it seems like the Sox will still be there for him

So its more about the gurantee. Obviously the Pads got what they wanted from us. A deal had been agreed to, Peavy just needed to accept it.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 22, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
I don't even really want him anymore. It's obvious this guy doesn't want to be a part of this organization, and the only way he will join is if we give in to his ridiculous contract commands.

This guy is a tool.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cu...-csep22.article

Screw him. Enjoy pitching for a loser team for the next 4 or so years.

The "Go Cubs, Go" thing with Peavy never happened. It was made up by a few members of the media.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
I don't even really want him anymore. It's obvious this guy doesn't want to be a part of this organization, and the only way he will join is if we give in to his ridiculous contract commands.

This guy is a tool.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cu...-csep22.article

Screw him. Enjoy pitching for a loser team for the next 4 or so years.

That never happened FYI, that was a made up scenario by a Cubs fan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
10-26-2005 3628 posts. Not close to the record, but almost one of the 10 busiest days in Soxtalks nearly 7 year history.

I think it would've been a lot closer had p**** actually agreed to the trade. Then all hell really would've broke loose.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
I don't get what else could be there from Peavy's perspective. He asked for everything and then some.

Easy, if one of his big wishes doesn't come calling, he can always drop some of his demands. The NTC would be an easy thing to drop, or he could be willing to accept some deferred money.

Wait, what? Its not over yet?

I'd be shocked if KW of all people would let Peavy publically reject him, and still acquire him, at the ridiculous terms he is supposedly asking for.

Actually, the rejection aside, if the rumors are true about Peavy wanting opt-outs each year AND full option guarantees, given what we have to give up in trade, I am no longer sure I'd want to do this deal. That opt-out is the killer. Without that, I'd still seriously consider it. With it, I think its a no.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Wait, what? Its not over yet?

I'd be shocked if KW of all people would let Peavy publically reject him, and still acquire him, at the ridiculous terms he is supposedly asking for.

Actually, the rejection aside, if the rumors are true about Peavy wanting opt-outs each year AND full option guarantees, given what we have to give up in trade, I am no longer sure I'd want to do this deal. That opt-out is the killer. Without that, I'd still seriously consider it. With it, I think its a no.

Kenny's public statement left the door WIDE open...

"It was communicated to me earlier this evening that Jake Peavy is simply not yet ready to make a commitment to join the Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Yeah I know, but... it just seems so not Kenny, after Peavy turned them down that way.

That's why I was shocked at the statement... But Kenny has left the door open to multiple pursuits of players before, so I guess it makes sense. He just wants to make the team as good as possible.

Stepping back and thinking about it, think of all of the players that Kenny has made a serious effort to go after in his time as GM...

Arod, Randy Johnson, Carlos Delgado, Darrin Erstad (while he was still good), Larry Walker, Torii Hunter, Fukodome... and I am sure there are plenty I am forgetting. And now you can add Peavy to that list.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Did you see the rumors about Peavy's contract demands? For the Sox sake, I hope it is over.

If he ever agrees to go to the Sox, he'll have to drop those demands. The only thing I think there's flexibility on is a broader NTC in a couple years and maybe re-working that option year to a guarantee worth far less money.

He does have 3 small kids and just built a new house so maybe he does need a week or so to sit on it. The only thing is he did say he would play for the Cubs so I don't know why he would have a problem with the other side of town.

From what Rozner wrote, he hasn't rejected the trade, he just said he needs more time. I do think if its a week or so from now and he still hasn't made up his mind, its time for KW to move along unless something else opens up for him sooner.

Who knows. Maybe Peavy had some concerns about this year's team and KW told him how the holes would be addressed and he's told him, fill the holes and I'll say yes. SD is a bad team, but their record is better than the White Sox.

Both sides may just be playing hard ball.

Its May 22, no where near the trade deadline.

Peavy has no real incentive to accept a trade, its up to the Padres (and Sox if this is the Padres preferred offer) to change his mind.

Its business.

Some times you need to walk away to get the offer you want.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
If he ever agrees to go to the Sox, he'll have to drop those demands. The only thing I think there's flexibility on is a broader NTC in a couple years and maybe re-working that option year to a guarantee worth far less money.

He does have 3 small kids and just built a new house so maybe he does need a week or so to sit on it. The only thing is he did say he would play for the Cubs so I don't know why he would have a problem with the other side of town.

This bothers me even more than his stupid contractual demands. If you're afraid to pitch in the AL, you're not a gamer. You've got to wonder if he's just a more-talented Javy Vazquez.

QUOTE (bulokis @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
Who were the prospects involved? Poreda, Richard and 2 more right? I don't know what to think of Peavy coming here.

As far as I know, 2 PTBNL, both of them pitchers. The only reason to use PTBNL at this point of the season, where there's no rule 5 draft to worry about, is to give the pitchers more time to develop before naming them. People have mentioned a number of names including Hudson, Ely, Broadway, etc., I'm not sure if any of us really know who would have been on the list.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
As far as I know, 2 PTBNL, both of them pitchers. The only reason to use PTBNL at this point of the season, where there's no rule 5 draft to worry about, is to give the pitchers more time to develop before naming them. People have mentioned a number of names including Hudson, Ely, Broadway, etc., I'm not sure if any of us really know who would have been on the list.

Who the PRBNL's are definitely matters. If its Hudson and Ely, that's a pretty big haul to add to Poreda and Richard. If its Levi Maxwell and John Lowe, then who bloody cares. My guess is it would end up being guys between those sets.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
I don't always like using the Sox draft history to cast doubts on those currently in the system(it isn't fair to them), however, given this teams inability to devolp pitchers consistantly, having to give up Ely and Hudson isn't that tough of a pill to swallow.

Again, I don't want to make it sound like the enitre system is awful, or Hudson and Ely aren't worth a s***, but at this point they are lower level prospects, and if can get you Jake Peavy, you bite.

I agree.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
I don't always like using the Sox draft history to cast doubts on those currently in the system(it isn't fair to them), however, given this teams inability to devolp pitchers consistantly, having to give up Ely and Hudson isn't that tough of a pill to swallow.

Again, I don't want to make it sound like the enitre system is awful, or Hudson and Ely aren't worth a s***, but at this point they are lower level prospects, and if can get you Jake Peavy, you bite.

I probably would too - this isn't nearly as big a factor as the opt-out. But it does have an effect on the decision, in my view.

Looking at it, if he DOESN'T get the opt-out, and you are sending Richard-Poreda-Ely-Hudson, I probably do it. Not 100% sure though, as you have to figure one of those guys ends up being very good. Pretty much anything below Ely-Hudson, I don't hesitate.

Well, unless they ask for Ehren Wassermann, then its no deal. :lolhitting