Carles Torres

winninguglyin83

I realize Carlos Torres is vconsidered a soft-tosser. about 6-2 and slender. Not impressing the radar gun crowd.

But I just wonder why the guy doesn't get any mention as a possible bullpen guy or fifth-starter.

Pitched another excellent game for Charlotte last night. He's averaging better than a strikeout per inning and has only walked 16 guys in 46 innings. Has not given up a home run in a hitter-friendly environment.

I know he's not a stud or considered a top of the rotation guy. But considering all the crap the White Sox have thrown out there all season, why doesn't he even get a mention compared to guys like Gobble and Broadway?

What are the major legitimate knocks on Carlos Torres? I know he's not a Baseball America poster boy, but why isn't he considered at least filler on our dominating staff?

He's not a "soft tosser", he hits 92-93 or so on the FB typically.

I'm actually in agreement with you though, I think he deserves some discussion, if someone in the current rotation needs replacing and Jose isn't ready. The only major knock I've read is that he nibbles too much, throws too many pitches. But he has a live arm with a moving fastball, a good slider, and a developing change. His peripherals have all looked good and getting better in the past few seasons, and so have his core results.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 22, 2009 -> 07:24 AM)
Pitched another excellent game for Charlotte last night. He's averaging better than a strikeout per inning and has only walked 16 guys in 46 innings. Has not given up a home run in a hitter-friendly environment.

So he only averages 3+ walks per 9 innings against AAA players? That's not that great.

I don't really know anything about him, but it's not like that's an eye popping number or anything :P

Edited by Felix

The Braves called up a pitcher who had an ERA near 1 in AAA this year, and he looked awful yesterday. There just aren't a lot of good hitters in the International League, and that's why it's so hard to judge the performance of pitchers in that league.

There is nobody at Charlotte to get excited about, although I understand wanting to have some hope that somebody can help this floundering team. Face it, we're stuck with what we have. Hopefully the Sox will drastically improve at drafting and developing players. If not, the future is bleak.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ May 22, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
There is nobody at Charlotte to get excited about, although I understand wanting to have some hope that somebody can help this floundering team. Face it, we're stuck with what we have. Hopefully the Sox will drastically improve at drafting and developing players. If not, the future is bleak.

Bleak? The future for this team looks better right now than it has in a long time. There is a whole lineup of very good looking prospects at AA Birmingham. There are a handful of pitchers at A+. AA and AAA who could be of value as well. Add that to some good young talent already with the club.

2009 is ugly so far, but 2010 and 2011 are looking pretty damn good.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Bleak? The future for this team looks better right now than it has in a long time. There is a whole lineup of very good looking prospects at AA Birmingham. There are a handful of pitchers at A+. AA and AAA who could be of value as well. Add that to some good young talent already with the club.

Yea, the future of this team is very bright.

I just hope when the all star game roles around we are either in it, or out of it and move through the players that will not have a hand in our future going forward(Konerko, Dye, Dotel, Jenks, Thornton, linebrink) the works, just blow it up and start fresh going into 2010.

With AAA barren right now i would love to see the AA team as one move up there later in the season, keep them all together.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ May 22, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)

Our AA team is an extremely impressive array of talent, probably one of the best minor league teams we've ever had.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Our AA team is an extremely impressive array of talent, probably one of the best minor league teams we've ever had.

We strongly matchup to some of the better teams the Athletics AA has fielded in recent years. That's saying something.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
We strongly matchup to some of the better teams the Athletics AA has fielded in recent years. That's saying something.

We have a pretty dynamic offense down there with some good starting pitching. I cannot recall an offensively talented team in our system that would match up with this one since maybe in the 90's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
I agree there are some decent prospects at Birmingham. It's a big step up from AA, so it will take a little time. Hopefully this is a team that will begin to turn things around in the farm system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)

You are definitely a glass is half full optimistic sort of person. It's a good thing I suppose in order to balance off hard headed cynics like me. As stated above, the situation at Birmingham looks promising. I don't feel the same way about Charlotte. Even in the best of times, in the best of organizations most prospects don't pan out. Baseball is a very tough game to master. The White Sox must do a better job of scouting, drafting and developing players. It's going to take time to turn the ship around and yes I hope Birmingham is a sign of better things to come.

I'm just as excited about the guys at Birmingham and a few at Winston Salem.

But back to Torres.

He's averaging a strikeout per inning.

He's got to be better than Gobble, who has failed for years.

My guess is that if Colon keeps struggling, Poreda gets the next crack because he's got a power arm. Fine with that. He's the future.

I just don't understand why Torres gets no consideration.

Whisler I understand because he isn't striking anybody out. Torres' numbers suggests he is at least a bit of a prospect.