How Important Is a Sweep of the Bucs?

hogan873

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Sometime you get your ass kicked in life, there's no point crying over it

Had a bad week and read this. I am hoping your words are the perspective I need to forget it all going into a long weekend. Hope the Sox read it, too.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 22, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
When you are 6.5 games behind and just got shellacked 20-1 I think it is important to start winning all the ball games you can, if you really want to compete for that title

Fortunately 20-1 counts the same as 2-1, but yes it would be nice to start winning some more games.

When you are 6.5 games behind and just got shellacked 20-1 I think it is important to start winning all the ball games you can, if you really want to compete for that title

The key to that sentence is being 6.5 games behind.

By falling behind that much, with the Angels next, you risk being 10 out soon and if you are 10 out, forget it.

The Sox need to sweep this series and take five of six on a relatively easy homestand.

KW will wait for that long 10 or 11 game homestand in early June before he makes any final determinations.

Detroit won't keep winning every game...but we're in the unlucky situation (compared to teams like the Twins and Royals) of having to face a healthier Angels team getting better and better instead of right after the Adenhart accident. It's a lot different to face that team with all their healthy/veteran pitchers intact, obviously.

Of course, we also have to face Greinke and Meche again, but we need to go 3-4 on that trip to LA and KC and not 2-5/1-6.

Edited by caulfield12

hate to say it, but facing Santana, Saunders and sox killer Weaver in the next series, a Sox sweep could offset the good chance of an Angels sweep.

The Sox are definitely going to have to start playing better baseball or that sweep is assured.

I wish they'd get more at bats similar to Paulie's tonight where he whacked that single up the middle to score a run, with I believe, two strikes on him.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 22, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
With the Pirates coming to town and both teams not playing well, how important is it for the Sox to sweep? Sounds like a stupid question (and it probably is), but with the humiliating loss yesterday I would think a sweep and 5 of 6 home stand would be what the Sox really need. They could head out west (cringe) only 3 games below .500 and a head of steam.

Granted a series win is a series win, so winning 2 out of 3 against Pittsburgh would be okay. The Sox, however, need every win they can get before going to the left coast. History tells us it could be ugly.

Hogan,

Good question, but IMHO, based on how the Sox have been playing, it is VERY IMPORTANT.

They need as many wins as possible right now if they want to make a push for the playoffs.