Would you want the Peavy deal to happen?

Marky Mark

Peavy Deal Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. If the White Sox had dealt Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, John Ely, and eventually Daniel Hudson would you want this deal to take place. In the confines of this question, we assume that we are guarantying Peavy's 2013 option and his NTC. So keep in mind he will be making 2010: $15 million, 2011: $16 million, 2012: $17 million, 2013: $22 million. Is it a deal worth doing? Also keep in mind Peavy's home ERA is a whole point higher than his away ERA.

• Yes
    • No

I really think when you take him away from Petco he goes from a seemingly elite pitcher, to just a pretty good pitcher. I would not want to be paying that kind of money to a "pretty good good pitcher." That money should be reserved for the absolute cream of the crop aces, not Peavy.

I wouldn't give him a full NTC throughout the entire contract. That's crazy. I'd be willing to guarantee the option year, but would re-work the deal to give him a limited NTC in 2012 and 2013. If a guaranteed $22 million in 2013 isn't enough for him to compromise on the NTC, he can play somewhere else.

No, if only for that outrageous 2013 option. Think about it logically -- is he worth that amount right now? Now, imagine four years past, when you'd expect a natural regression in his abilities due to health issues. His delivery is violent. It'll only get worse. He'll, I'd guess by 2011 we'd begin regretting the deal.

I hope this rumor dies quickly. Let us finish this miserable season in peace.

I have to say I've learned more about our minor league system so far this season than ever before. Although I don't like seeing the Sox struggle, I am quite excited about the future. 2010 and beyond could be very entertaining here.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ May 22, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
I really think when you take him away from Petco he goes from a seemingly elite pitcher, to just a pretty good pitcher. I would not want to be paying that kind of money to a "pretty good good pitcher." That money should be reserved for the absolute cream of the crop aces, not Peavy.

Jake Peavy had dead arm problems last year & the year before. Usually that's a sign for something bad to come. He's great against the weak-hitting national league, he got crushed in interleague & WBC competition.

I think that in the long run Peavy not coming to the Sox will be the best for both teams. The Sox need to rebuild in spite of what the team says and they do not need a multimillion dollar pitcher just to draw fans to the park. This team is lacking in all areas pitching, defense and offense. The best thing that can happen is that the Sox will make trades for prospects and start preparing for the future.

Since contracts for "stars" are often bloated during the out-years, I'm looking at this from just the baseball perspective and not the finances:

I vote YES: an ace is worth giving up a potential #3 solid pitcher (Richard ceiling) and likely an elite set-up man/closer (Poreda) unless you think he's going to develop more plus pitches. Not sure what we have with Ely and Hudson but we can replenish in the next few drafts and not be that far behind the development of these two.

You can always look to the "future" and if we think that all of the Barons along with Quentin, Danks, Floyd will be the team in 2010-2011, we are kidding ourselves. The prospects will be eased in and in the meantime, we could have elite pitching for 4 years to help ease that transition.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ May 22, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
No, if only for that outrageous 2013 option. Think about it logically -- is he worth that amount right now? Now, imagine four years past, when you'd expect a natural regression in his abilities due to health issues. His delivery is violent. It'll only get worse. He'll, I'd guess by 2011 we'd begin regretting the deal.

We were regretting the Contreras deal in 2007 and the Vazquez extension last season. Yet, it didn't cripple our ability to spend money and compete.

I can understand why people don't want to pick up Peavy's contract, but we're also dumping an absolute ton of payroll over the next year and a half. And outside of Poreda, I don't see any really good starting pitching prospects in our minor league system. If Floyd contiues to experience problems, we're going to be relying on Broadway and Richard to anchor the back of the rotation for the next couple of years. Therefore, I would be inclined to take a chance on Peavy, provided that he's tradeable in 2012 and 2013.

Edit: I didn't read about Peavy's yearly opt-out demands when I posted this. There's no way that I include that in a contract.

Edited by WCSox

Giving that kind of money and four quality arms for a guy who questions his own ability to pitch in the AL? No thanks. It seems that you end up regretting having these huge contracts more often than not anyway e.g. Todd Helton, Mike Hampton, Barry Zito, Vernon Wells, Michael Young, Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, Jason Schmidt, etc.

The guy is a freaking ace. Filthy stuff and a front of the rotation guy. He might not post sub 2.5 ERA's but the guy is still an ace, whether its the Al or NL cause I truly think that front line pitchers aren't effected as much as mediocre pitchers are by the change in leagues.

So f*** yes I want him, only thing I wouldn't buy into are all those freaking opt-out clauses. I'm not giving up 4 prospects, unless the others are of zero value, unless we are locks to keep him for a while.