Would you want the Peavy deal to happen?

Marky Mark

Peavy Deal Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. If the White Sox had dealt Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, John Ely, and eventually Daniel Hudson would you want this deal to take place. In the confines of this question, we assume that we are guarantying Peavy's 2013 option and his NTC. So keep in mind he will be making 2010: $15 million, 2011: $16 million, 2012: $17 million, 2013: $22 million. Is it a deal worth doing? Also keep in mind Peavy's home ERA is a whole point higher than his away ERA.

• Yes
    • No

100% Yes for me. Name the last Sox pitcher that has been drafted by us and gone through the ranks in Charlotte and succeeded. Peavy is a stud pitcher and would help this ballclub. His salary is scary for some, but for me I'm not freakin out givin the guy an option year at that price. The market should be high again for players after this whole economic crisis passes. The guy will only be 31 and still in his prime. You also build your whole entire pitching staff around a guy like him. Buehrle becomes the number 2 again and Danks a 3.

I'm just pissed that the Sox did not offer the most to this deal for him. I am just so uncertain still with our farm system because of our history.

*Frustration*

no he's a fly ball pitcher at Petco, could you imagine at the Cell? Those warning track flies in San Diego are like 4th row homers at the Cell, pass, bring on Harren, Webb, Cane, ect

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Jake Peavy had dead arm problems last year & the year before. Usually that's a sign for something bad to come. He's great against the weak-hitting national league, he got crushed in interleague & WBC competition.

Wow, I didn't realize that was going on. Thank god we didn't pick him up, we don't need him launching home runs at the Cell, then his arm dying two years into the contract.

Edited by whitesox901

The opt outs would kill a deal with any team. No team is going to give any player that kind of power. Picking up his 22mill option should not be that big of a deal because it's only for 1 year and,come 2013, 22 mill may not seem to be an exorbinant amount for a #1 pitcher. I would still do the trade in a second,minus the yearly opt out, because,even though the young talent has potential,they could just as easily be failures. Peavy is a proven #1 and 27. You have to take the chance when you can get a guy like that. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but wouldn't Peavy be making less than AJ Burnett until that final year? Burnett's a .500 pitcher.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 23, 2009 -> 05:52 AM)
The opt outs would kill a deal with any team. No team is going to give any player that kind of power. Picking up his 22mill option should not be that big of a deal because it's only for 1 year and,come 2013, 22 mill may not seem to be an exorbinant amount for a #1 pitcher. I would still do the trade in a second,minus the yearly opt out, because,even though the young talent has potential,they could just as easily be failures. Peavy is a proven #1 and 27. You have to take the chance when you can get a guy like that. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but wouldn't Peavy be making less than AJ Burnett until that final year? Burnett's a .500 pitcher.

But AJ Burnett's contract was a very silly one, too.

The Yankees were in that position because of the likes of Hughes and Kennedy (and many other pitching prospects) falling flat on their faces. They had to overpay.

There's just too big of a future injury risk, as well as placing future financial restraints on the team...it's the chicken and the egg. With only 23K in attendance on Thursday against your traditional rival (who you've just beaten twice in a row) AND with awesome weather and then 23000 on a Friday night late in May, it's a little scary to think of committing to contracts like Jake Peavy's and then end up having to dump like the Cubs will in a year or two.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2009 -> 06:03 AM)
But AJ Burnett's contract was a very silly one, too.

The Yankees were in that position because of the likes of Hughes and Kennedy (and many other pitching prospects) falling flat on their faces. They had to overpay.

There's just too big of a future injury risk, as well as placing future financial restraints on the team...it's the chicken and the egg. With only 23K in attendance on Thursday against your traditional rival (who you've just beaten twice in a row) AND with awesome weather and then 23000 on a Friday night late in May, it's a little scary to think of committing to contracts like Jake Peavy's and then end up having to dump like the Cubs will in a year or two.

The White Sox have sold more tickets at this point than they had last season and they were able to support a higher payroll then. As far as the longer term, they have $40 million coming off next year and Konerko coming off the following season. Being able to afford Peavy's contract is of no concern. I agree that guaranteeing the option would be foolish, but the rest of the contract is fine. He isn't coming though, no matter how long KW is willing to wait, and after reading about him gushing about Cubs fans last night, I'm glad he's not.

The fact is JR isn't going to agree to anything if there's even the slightest chance it will do what you suggest.

Edited by Dick Allen